Thread: Lightning Touch

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Lightning Touch

After a short hiatus, Skills of Interest is back with a weapon skill. It is dagger time with the freshly changed Lightning Touch.

Lightning Touch

, Current GW2wiki description (August stress tests, 2012) :

Shock your foe and inflict weakness.

Weakness: 5 s
    Range: 300

Weapon
    Attune.
    Icon
    Skill
    Traits affecting the skill
    Dagger
    Main
    Hand
    Air Lightning Touch 10

Change-log (since February 2012)

• The damage output of the skill was changed a few times during the BWEs 2012.
    • Before the May BWE, Lightning Touch was an AoE skill with a cone shaped radius.
    • Prior to the August 2012 stress tests Lightning Touch was dealing three stacks of Vulnerability for 6 seconds and had a recharge of 6 seconds. It also did about 25% less damage.
    • October 22nd, 2012: The skill still affects only the closest foe, but the attack angke has been increased, so the skill hits more often against moving foes.

Skill assessment

• The Weakness condition is very strong at reducing the damage output of foes. Without using Glyph of Elemental Power while in Air attunement, Lightning Touch is the only viable option the Elementalist has to inflict this condition (Stoning only causes weakness for 1 second, so very hard to time).
    • Although the recharge was increased to 10 seconds, the length of the condition allows you to keep it up 50% of the time, when you cast it on the same foe.
    • The trait Aeromancer's Alacrity can reduce the recharge to 8 seconds.
    • The range of 300 does indicate that it is not a "touch skill", despite the name. (Melee skills usually have a range of 150).
    Last edited by Gorani; 05-12-2012 at 19:55.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    I have not used any ele skill that requires a dagger. I am leery of having to be so close, if I can help it, for attacking. Do other not mind the close range? Since ele is my preferred, I'll probably try it, but do dagger related skills have much, if any, advantage over the old wand and staff?

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Domitilde View Post
    I have not used any ele skill that requires a dagger. I am leery of having to be so close, if I can help it, for attacking. Do other not mind the close range? Since ele is my preferred, I'll probably try it, but do dagger related skills have much, if any, advantage over the old wand and staff?
    Dagger skills in general hold "higher rewards for higher risks". A higher reward can be more damage (e.g. "Drake's Breath" which does do 4 stacks of burning for 3 seconds compared to "Flamestrike' s" 1 stack for 2 seconds - plus Drakes's Breath has four channeled damage pulses & Flamestrike only one), or longer durations of conditions and shorter recharge times.
    As you have to be able to move into range, hitting foes is more difficult for those that don't move well with "WASD".
    I think I will start out at longer range in PvE, too - moving slowly to daggers.

So, what is that good about Lightning Touch? Like I said, Weakness can provide a great tool to keep a foe a lot less dangerous if it is applied 50% of the time of the encounter (for Power based builds, as glancing blows don't work against condition damage & critical hits).
    Last edited by Gorani; 18-08-2012 at 18:34.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Quote Originally Posted by Domitilde View Post
    To be honest, I preferred all daggers to the others from my limited beta play. It does require a ton more dodging, but Like Gorani said, the damage seemed to be better.

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Thanks for the replies. Once I feel confident in my mastering GW2, I'll give the daggers a try. Guess it means I better not just sell any daggers from now on unless each new is better.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    My main this time around is going to be an ele, but I think I'll stick to ranged skills for a bit. It appears that I'm going to need to upgrade to a better laptop before GW2 will run at it's optimum for me. My personal response time is slow to begin with, add to that the lag from my computer and any close-quarter fighting finds me pummeled to a pulp before I can move out of the way. Apparently lag on my end is not shared by the target on the server side *grins*.

However, this does look interesting and means I'll hang on to any good daggers I stumble across.
    GWOnline Social Media Manager

GWOnline Content Team
    Elemental Attunement
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    To me it sounds awesome if you see an enemy to let off either a big or flurry of attacks. That extra 5 seconds basically lets you hammer out some more damage without too much risk (if it is a single target). Perhaps it would also be a good combo with Armor of Earth in enabling yourself for melee range (which the bonus damage for melee range trait may make melee range more desirable for those who bring it).

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    October 2nd, 2012: This skill has had its attack angle increased.