PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonhero View Post
    Attachment 487

I got one of these a few months ago and trained myself to use it in TERA since you literally cannot click your skills in that game - you have to use your mouse to aim and target.

I can hit the 5-12 keys with a decent level of comfort and it has helped my play in MMO style games immensely
    The 1-4 keys are pretty easy to hit with my hand, and I also tend to bind things to the C,V,E,Q keys a lot too.

The only reason it took me a fair bit to train myself to use it without staring at the mouse was because the # rows are in sets of 3, not 4 like a standard NUM pad.

Before I had the mouse I used a lot of alt/ctrl/shift modifiers - Generally I try to avoid binding things to the right hand side of the keyboard if I can help it. I think I've bound stuff to T a couple times, that's about as far over as i go.

I am excited for crafting - I haven't touched it yet so i'll probably dive right in as soon as I have some mats to fiddle with. I have heard that cooking is a Karma drain - is this true? If it is, are other professions also a Karma drain, or should I just plan to put cooking on a toon that won't be a main?
    I picked up a G600 mmo mouse

It's going to be fun to assign everything to my mouse.

I think the article is great, and a good read for anyone just starting out. I didn't do half the stuff during beta though, so I'm eager to jump into crafting.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I wish the Naga had customizable lights :(

But, yeah, Naga for the win.

Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    I wish the Naga had customizable lights :(

But, yeah, Naga for the win.
    Meee too. I want it to match the other things I have that glow :( The logitech does that..../jealous.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    I thought about the G600. But couldn't find one locally, and I'm not willing to drop that much money on a mouse I'm not sure I'd like the shape/size of.

I also have a Logitech G15 keyboard, which has a set of G-keys to the left of the normal keyboard. These can be bound to other keys, and I'm used to using those from my time playing WoW. So my accuracy with those is really good, and it's very fast, and... just another reason that I don't need to get a new mouse.

But it's still shiny. That white one reminds me of Portal.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    @Nem - this was a fun read, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I'd love a crafting guide for dummies.

Basically, I want to know what's the easiest way to net some XP and gold via crafting. I'm guessing bags, but then what of weapon crafts? What of materials I gather that I just don't use for bags or my own items, what should I make with those?

Is there a simple way I can look at what mats I have, and pick what to craft with it?
    Bags will only get you so far (aside from gold). Unless I'm out of my mind, you'll eventually stop getting XP from crafting them as they're really low-level items and you'll become quite adept at making them pretty quickly. Once their name turns green in the left-hand column, you're done earning XP for them. I'm not sure how well they'll sell over the long haul because it doesn't take long for anyone with an armor crafting profession to be able to discover them.

I predict the wiki pages for each material will hold many sortable tables, but so far in game I don't see any way to pick what to craft based on mats at a glance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    <snippety-snip>
    About the mists and planning my character.... I don't plan my characters, they'll grow. I won't set foot in the sPvP bit unless somebody puts a gun against my head and maybe then I'll probably refuse.

I'll just wander around, aimlessly and simply be too happy knowing I'm finally playing GW2
    You should seriously consider rolling a sylvari named "Fun Gus".

Thanks!
    I keep wondering if crafting is complex enough of a topic to have its own entire sub forum, but the PvE forum fits, for sure.

I'm definitely putting off cooking for a while, though. Even though I'm planning to collect, collect collect!

"Look, brightshinyobjectoverthere and onions!"
    Last edited by thulsey; 21-08-2012 at 06:45. Reason: Thanks, Nemeon Lion!

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by thulsey View Post
    You should seriously consider rolling a sylvari named "Fun Gus".
    hey, my account is practically made up with Sylvari names! And "Fun Gus" sounds too male to me. But it's a great name

Thanks!
    I keep wondering if crafting is complex enough of a topic to have its own entire sub forum, but the PvE forum fits, for sure.

I'm definitely putting off cooking for a while, though. Even though I'm planning to collect, collect collect!

"Look, brightshinyobjectoverthere and onions!"
    That's why we'll leave it at the PvE forum (for now). And cooking will one of the professions I'll start immediately. I plan to create my 5 characters from the start and they'll all start crafting from the first moment on. Maybe they won't be played regularly, but they will craft!
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    @Nem - this was a fun read, thanks!
    Thanks.

Bags will only get you so far (aside from gold). Unless I'm out of my mind, you'll eventually stop getting XP from crafting them as they're really low-level items and you'll become quite adept at making them pretty quickly. Once their name turns green in the left-hand column, you're done earning XP for them. I'm not sure how well they'll sell over the long haul because it doesn't take long for anyone with an armor crafting profession to be able to discover them.
    You also have to remember that bags also have tiers. For example, at the begining you can create 8-slot bags and those require a low level. Later on you'll be able to craft, probably (the wiki doesn't yet list it but it's assumed) 20-slot bags. Those, however, require a crafting discipline at maximum to be able to craft. Plus all the other tiers in between of course.

So, if my predictions is correct, bags will always be in demand because there's always an upgrade all the way to max level.

I predict the wiki pages for each material will hold many sortable tables, but so far in game I don't see any way to pick what to craft based on mats at a glance.
    Not sure what you mean here. Each crafting material shows what crafting disciplines it's used for and the level required in each discipline for you to use it. Was that what you mean't?

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeon Lion View Post
    Thanks.

You also have to remember that bags also have tiers. For example, at the begining you can create 8-slot bags and those require a low level. Later on you'll be able to craft, probably (the wiki doesn't yet list it but it's assumed) 20-slot bags. Those, however, require a crafting discipline at maximum to be able to craft. Plus all the other tiers in between of course.

So, if my predictions is correct, bags will always be in demand because there's always an upgrade all the way to max level.
    Yes, but they require runes of holding, right? I guess bags will start giving out XP again once you factor in the runes you purchase and add to the recipe, that makes sense. And you can certainly sell them for more (hopefully...).

But I had forgotten about the scaling in quality, thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeon Lion View Post
    Not sure what you mean here. Each crafting material shows what crafting disciplines it's used for and the level required in each discipline for you to use it. Was that what you mean't?
    Yes, they do, but that's not what I meant.

I was replying to Alaris's earlier comment when I wrote that, assuming he meant that he just wants to be able to glance at the material and figure out what exactly he can craft with it (which recipes used that mat). I may have misinterpreted that, though.

But running around the world and getting mats, I certainly wasn't sure what exactly I could craft with it, just that as a jeweler of a certain level I might find it useful. I had to go back to the crafting station and look at recipes first before I knew which mat was useful to which recipe.

A quick visit to the wiki shows all (known) recipes that can be used with the mat in question, though. Bolt of joot, for instance, shows all the different things one can craft with that particular material.

So, wiki presents the information in reverse order, if that's what you're after, but you can't get that information in-game via the crafting interface.

Does that make more sense? I am fully aware that sometimes my writing and incoherent rambling have a lot in common…

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I was replying to Alaris's earlier comment when I wrote that, assuming he meant that he just wants to be able to glance at the material and figure out what exactly he can craft with it (which recipes used that mat). I may have misinterpreted that, though.
    Well, I don't think this is something ANet would implement, or people who enjoy crafting would want, but yeah. If there are some good recipes (i.e. produces stuff that sells easily for profit) I can print, especially if they cover most mats I encounter, that would be great.

wiki pages with sortable recipes sounds pretty awesome though. But wikis are notorious for not showing info on what sells well for profit, which is why I was asking for that to be in forum...
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Well, I don't think this is something ANet would implement, or people who enjoy crafting would want, but yeah. If there are some good recipes (i.e. produces stuff that sells easily for profit) I can print, especially if they cover most mats I encounter, that would be great.

wiki pages with sortable recipes sounds pretty awesome though. But wikis are notorious for not showing info on what sells well for profit, which is why I was asking for that to be in forum...
    Well, my personal opinion? People are too focused on profit (both in RL and in games...)

In my own (personal, sorry) database, I keep track how much something cost to craft, so that I don't make a loss selling it. But I won't craft "for a profit", just enough to keep me crafting.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)