Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Welcome to the Forums Arceb

I have moved one of your posts here to the Tipps & Tricks thread, as it did not fit a purely Condition [Basics] thread and found a much better home here.
    Be aware that you mix up a lot of names of skills, which is confusing to readers (like "Fire Dash" which is the skill "Burning Speed").
    In your last posts you mixed up "Mist Form" with "Vapor Form", the later being the downed skill.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Server

Dragonbrand ?
    Guild

String
    Ah woops, that's why I try to stick to Fire 1 or 2 or 3 and so on, if I'm more confusing than helpful then I'll just sit back and read. =D

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points
    Guild

TRUE
    This was so useful, really helped transform the Ele for me.

Personally I'm now using Scepter/Dagger, and using the fire circle thingy, with phoenix and dragon's tooth, which are both blast combos and therefore give me 6 stacks of might, which is nifty. Don't have the traits to get the attunement swapping boons just yet.
    Aly Rose - Human Guardian
    Sylasti - Sylvari Thief
    Veritas Invictus [TRUE]

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I have reached a point in the game (Charr Lvl 60-70 area; own level 70; equipment still around the 60 Lvls) where a few questions come to mind and I want to hear your input on them:

1. Can't live without my Elemental summons

In situations where I have to fight two or more creatures (event chains, under water, choke points with Veterans come to mind) I always try to have one of my Elementals up and fight with me (Earth & Water ones, for their sturdiness, chill & heals). Those can draw away some fire from my back and help me escape defeat sometime by either delaying foes or finishing them when I am downed.
    With "Quick Glyphs" I can re-summon them fairly quickly (and the Ele has not the best choices for Elites IMO anyway), but I wonder how I would do without them.

2. I am a glass canon with my items

I really try to do something for my survivability by choosing my weapons not only based on power & precision, but seeking out toughness, vitality & healing. Even with that, I still have way more points in the former than in the later. And I really think I need them, because two of the more powerful attacks from monsters will almost kill my Ele. Because of that, my traits are very defensive, with Cleansing Wave, Earths Embrace, Renewing Stamina etc.
    How are you dealing wit that problem? Sticking to a staff weapon and staying at range? Going even more glass canon?
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Ele's need love honestly. You are super squishy, but I would hesitate to call you a glass cannon - the damage is rather lacking.

I'm just sticking with my hella squishy build and swapping to air to knockback and stun as needed.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuujinx View Post
    Ele's need love honestly. You are super squishy, but I would hesitate to call you a glass cannon - the damage is rather lacking.

I'm just sticking with my hella squishy build and swapping to air to knockback and stun as needed.
    I can't really comment on the damage compared to other classes, as I only play my Elementalist right now, but having arrived in Fireheart Rise, I have to say I feel the "lack of punch" when fighting mobs. That would not be such a big problem if the respawn rate would be a little slower. On the damage side (and without having put offensive traits there) I get the feeling water & air magic is pretty useless at dealing damage. I use air to run a bit faster and to start out with a RTL/Updraft combo (although Updraft's evade back isn't that useful when being offensive) and water for healing/get away situations. Although Vapor Blade can stack some Vulnerability I still do not see a significant impact on my damage at this stage.

Perhaps it is just that negative view right now, as I virtually play alone on the map right now, which makes DEs hard to finish (some protection and almost all conquest DEs).

In PvE, you can do ok damage it just requires a lot more work then playing a warrior or other class, while being super squishy. From my understanding they nerfed ele damage down because it was too good, so I imagine they'll buff it back up eventually. That said I still really like the class, so your best bet currently is just to kite a lot, abuse swiftness (4 on staff), and your knockbacks and stuns (5 on staff and 3 on staff).

For underwater combat, your best element is water (2, 3 and 5 do a fair bit of damage), unless your doing condition builds in which case, earth is still your friend. The important thing is to make sure your trident isn't 30 bajillion levels under you. The whites from vendors are -ok- if you don't get a lucky drop.

Also, if you aren't using arcane blast I would highly recommend it. It's another ~1k nuke on a fairly short cooldown and adds to your damage pretty substantially. It's also a projectile finisher for your fields, so that's neat too.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I prefer Arcane Wave, but I am usually much closer to foes with my daggers than you are with the staff.
    In general, I use Water & Earth in underwater combat, changing to Fire for a speedy button smash (when they are right in front of me) or Air for the Lightning Cage. Air Pocket can be a good "get away" teleport, as long as you shoot it to a safe spot.

PS: Entered by first Lvl 70-80 area today and did like 20 damage, while receiving punches of 4k-5k. I was not amused.

GWOnline Content Team
    Elemental Attunement
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    At the moment the general opinion seems to be that while ele isn't really underpowered, you need to master the profession (or at least have a fair degree of skill in it) just for general PvE gameplay. It just requires too much effort for too little gain. The upside to this is that it forces you play well and if any 'buff' comes in patches you might find yourself very powerful after developing some higher level skills out of necessity.

And to regards with Gorani's concerns of not being able to make a non-glass cannon build, IMO you really have to re-think tankiness or survability as some may call it. In a standard MMO if you had a durable build you would basically be able absorb damage and to some degree GW2 warriors can do this. Yet even with vitality toughness gear elementalists when never be able achieve this (although it is still a big help, I usually gp for those stats) due to our low armour. So you have to stop thinking of how you can absorb damage and more towards how you can avoid damage easier. For me this is where Dagger/Dagger and cantrips really shines. Dual daggers makes you quick your feet with charge and evasion skills and has really gooid mix of conditions it can apply. Coupled with survivability and evasion abilities of cantrips (and a good trait setup that plays to these strengths) I find myself being able to tank enemirs not by having a large health pool and high armour but by using kiting techniques, manipulation of the enemy with conditions and using boons like protection, stability and vigor as a 'buffer' when damage starts to come my way.

I posted my 'auramancer' build on Elemental Attunement and in the builds thread last week and I think it also works well to achieve the 'evasive tank' style but more through use of mass boons. This week i'll post my current cantrip build that i've used extensively since this 'glass cannon' issue seems quite topical at the moment.

Just out of curiosity are there other elementalist topics and issues that peopke might want some research or discussion on? I wouldn't mind looking into particular topics that might not otherwise be brought up.

Also a quick note: I hit level 80 last night so i'm starting to get into the more high-end gameplay.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

GWOnline Content Team
    Elemental Attunement
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    I've posted this in the build thread already but re: my last post, I have created a build that I think meets the concerns some where having over lack of viability from non-glass cannon builds. Link: http://bit.ly/NDHERp