PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Race/Profession combos ... lessons learned

Hi All...title sums it up!

I'm sure everyone has settled in with what race they are comfortable with with what profession, by now .....(cept me cuz i still cannot play until 1st Sep cuz i dont have access to my PC until then ... yes im miserable right now)

You must also have advanced to levels where you have unlocked elites and are using them.

I need your better experiences to guide and help me to create best combos,on the first try when i sit down and start GW2

1. What do you think is the better race for a said profession...and why?

2. Did you delete any characters because the combo didn't click... and why?

Thanks.

Tapatalking

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    For me, my race choices are aesthetic. I don't generally like playing non-human races, so most of my characters a human, with one Norn, and one Sylvari (because I found myself really liking them in beta). I kind of want to make a Charr because of their lore, but I don't know what profession to roll.

I haven't gotten any elites yet.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I mostly chose the race profession combos by looking at the different armor sets and creation screen options... like the human noble that regrets not joining the circus, etc. I wanted to experience all of the human story, so i made 3 humans with no repeated choices.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    In the end I went purely cosmetic / lore. I know, I know.

The racial stuff sounds fun, but I don't think they are gamebreaker.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i choose races with profs when i have a story behind it, sorudo wong and paine lionheart was already a given but i had to think about the other three before making them.
    now i have a human engineer and decided to make her a small girl with an IQ above 200, she is one of the few humans who understands the technology of the asura.
    my charr ranger is just my cat in the game, even called him "armin the cat".

anyway, just think about your own lore behind your character before making one, it's a whole lot better to have a character within a lore then an empty character without a soul.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Asura elementalist is what I'm leveling first. I am focusing on getting one character to level 30 for the elite for use in WvW. It's tempting to play my Norn thief, but I've been pretty dedicated to the ele for now.

I am counting on the racial skills being just for giggles as that's a.net's style (and was said in an interview), so I did not factor those into my profession + race plans. I chose combos based on looks and cultural armor sets.

Edit: To answer your questions more clearly, I only go on how I feel the character would "like" a profession. There are no hard reasons to combine any particular race and profession in this game. So it's all about feelings for me. I don't RP in game but I like to imagine a little about them at creation.

While I have not deleted any due to wrong combo choice and doubt I ever will, I have a few tattered sheets of notepaper with many marks and erasures and a spreadsheet covered with many combinations thought up during the months prior to headstart. These tools bear the deletions that I made in my head.
    Last edited by Twyst Tye; 30-08-2012 at 04:41. Reason: add-ons and typos

If you really want to min/max then I'm sure some combinations will be better, but I don't think it will be a great difference.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Much as with the above, we were told the race stuff would be for flavor and story and should not make much of a difference skill wise. I didn't hear any great outcry over one profession or another being imbalanced during the BWEs, so I chose race/profession combos for purely personal or aesthetic reasons (like I knew I wanted my main to by Sylvari/Necro because my GW1 main was necro and I thought the Sylvari had the most interesting backstory, but I made my main account warrior an Asura because I thought the dissonance would be funny, same with my Charr Guardian and Norn Mesmer.)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I think the only thing you need to consider is pvp... a small tiny asura thief is more sneaky than a norn thief, just because other players won't be able to see you as much. Same with the Mesmer clones, if you have the biggest possible norn Mesmer making clones all over the place if clouds the screen of your opponents

But aside from that there's really very little difference

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.

I've only tried 3 of the racial elites, and I didn't like any of them. At all. The non-elites are kind of fun to fiddle with, binding roots is really nice. But as with most others, race is purely aesthetic for me.