Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rant all and it

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    People who complain "There's so many bugs" probably never had to debug anything. I hate seeing those complaints. They get under my skin.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    2) Please provide me with even a single MMORPG that can compete with GW2 for the title of best MMORPG.
    By what definition should we compare two games? Make list of all separate issues/features and compare them? I think that would take by far too much time.

I still think the main problem is that many would have expected GW2 to be a rather direct continuation of GW1. (Same name and a number and that.)
    But GW2 is radically different from GW1.

In any case, GW2 certainly lacks lots of features one would expect to be there from the start. I'm reminded of strategy games where you have to restart every time you get to a new level - it seems they didn't build on GW1, but started from scratch.
    I suppose they'll have first to invent and research stuff like customization of interface and post-creation body changes.

BTW, @shawn: Considering the hype built up by ANet (GW2 being so innovative and different to all games and such), I guess people were expective more innovative stuff, and not that much "regular old stuff we don't like" again. (Like for example split servers. Where is the innovation in that? Where is the reason in it?)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye Lestrange View Post
    People who complain "There's so many bugs" probably never had to debug anything. I hate seeing those complaints. They get under my skin.
    Well, I remember a time when games released with little to no bugs... or at least, from certain companies. GW2 is pretty stable, but yes, there are bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    By what definition should we compare two games?
    1) Make a list of gameplay features, starting with most important ones (e.g. gameplay is more important than post-creation body change)
    2) Rate the pros & cons of each game regarding those features
    3) See if there's a clear winner

You know, actually review the game.

For me, combat gameplay was really important, as well as having incentives to play together with random people. Well, I think ANet really nailed those two components. They've improved on many others too, but I already wrote articles on this...

I'd recommend you read reviews too, not just take my opinion on this. Go see Angry Joe's review, see if you agree with it.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    BTW, @shawn: Considering the hype built up by ANet (GW2 being so innovative and different to all games and such), I guess people were expective more innovative stuff, and not that much "regular old stuff we don't like" again. (Like for example split servers. Where is the innovation in that? Where is the reason in it?)
    gw IS innovative and different to all other games and such. Having played WoW, Aion, Tera, etc, it becomes obvious how archaic a game like gw1 was. Creating a true mmo while getting rid of all the stupid **** that plagues the genre makes the game unquestionably the best in the modern mmo scene.

And the server split, really? You're serious? Remember how packed the zones were at the start? And you want a persistent world without servers, which would mean fifty times as many people crammed into the same place? The district mechanic is an archaic and unimmersive solution, compared to the seamless server system with queueless overflows and the ability to guest to servers in the future.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline.Net Member
    Thats always the problem though , whether its the developers or the marketing teams they will always try to over promise which effectively means they under deliver as opposed to under promising and then over delivering ... Now that would be a novel concept

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    And the server split, really? You're serious? Remember how packed the zones were at the start? And you want a persistent world without servers, which would mean fifty times as many people crammed into the same place? The district mechanic is an archaic and unimmersive solution, compared to the seamless server system with queueless overflows and the ability to guest to servers in the future.
    Yes, I can see the need for a server split. However, I really don't like some of the effects of it: guilds across multiple servers, not being able to send mails to some servers, not being able to play with people from different servers (that might or might not work later, I'm still doubtful I'll be able to play with all my friends, the same as I can't send mail to all my friends).
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye Lestrange View Post
    I started to play computer games in the earlxy 80's. When there was no internet. When you got your updates from the cover disk of your monthly PC Mag...
    In other words, when games had to have as little as possible bugs because you were forced to live with them for months. Game stopper bugs would kill such a game...

I am well aware that MMO's are so complex that it is impossible to have no issues at all.
    However, I am also aware that it is possible to release a game with all parts working. Unlike GW2, that started with a non working TP eg.
    It is also possible to include fall back mechanisms for scripted events that get stuck. Usually games have a timer for that, pretty much like the idle timer that kicks me from server if I don't play for some time.

And last but not least, it is possible to do a fullscale beta, which might have eliminated some of these issues before release.

Thus I am not complaining about GW2 having issues, I am complaining about GW2 having issues that could have been eliminated before release.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    I want to be able to post links to cat videos from youtube into guild chat like I could in GW1.

edit: games in the 70-90s were insanely simple compared to what we're playing right now.

Great.

Another complaints thread filled with nonsense.

Can't people just be happy that this is by far the best MMORPG out there?
    I demand empirical evidence to support this claim.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post

edit: games in the 70-90s were insanely simple compared to what we're playing right now.
    turning a mere 128 kb into something like "Zelda". Nuffsaid.

I'd recommend you read reviews too, not just take my opinion on this. Go see Angry Joe's review, see if you agree with it.
    Did you read the incgamers review ? A lot less biased than the hype some create here...

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/09/gui...war-in-heaven/

he gives it a 9/10, but he also includes this, which hits the nail right on the spot:

Guild Wars 2 doesnít really get many steps of the MMO dance wrong, and even when it does fluff something, the lack of a monthly fee makes it a bit easier to forgive. I canít honestly say itís entirely clicked with me, though, and Iíve spent the past week trying to work out why without any real success.

Part of it, I think, is that many of its individual elements have been done better elsewhere.
    Last edited by Ora; 10-09-2012 at 13:50.