Thread: Magnetic Grasp

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Magnetic Grasp

At last, "Skills of Interests" is back. I chose Magnetic Grasps, because it is currently an underpowered & slightly bugged skill, that has great potential, once it is fixed and perhaps slightly buffed.

Magnetic Grasp

, Current GW2wiki description (September, 2012) :

Immobilize your foe and pull yourself to them with magnetic force.

Damage
    Immobilized: 2 s
    Range: 900
    Combo Finisher: Leap

Weapon
    Attune.
    Icon
    Skill
    Traits affecting the skill
    Dagger
    Main
    Hand
    Earth Magnetic Grasp 12

Change-log (since February 2012)

• During May 2012 beta tests, the skill did twice as much damage as it is dealing after official release.
    • After the December 15th, 2012 update the Leap finisher is now officially included it the skill's potential

Skill assessment

• The skill fires a projectile, that must hit for the movement effect to happen. The projectile can be evaded, resulting in a miss.
    • Although not mentioned in the skill description Magnetic Grasp acts as a "Leap Finisher", so you can wrap yourself in a Fire Armor when pulling yourself to a foe that is standing in one of your fire fields (Ring of Fire, Burning Speed, Firewall)
    • The skill still can bug out, if you hit a small environment object in the pulling path This way you immobilize yourself too.
    • With Geomancer's Alacrity, you can reduce the cool down of the skill to 10 seconds.
    • This skill has some great potential, but the very little damage it does is not out-weighting the chance that you get directly into the danger zone. If the immobilized is not increased by one second or the Elementalist is rewarded by pulling himself into the danger zone of melee by a boon (pretty much everything except swiftness can make sense - 2 sec of Retaliation perhaps, we still lack access to that), the damage should at least be increased to where it was during the beta in May 2012 to make it an all out useful skill.
    Last edited by Gorani; 16-12-2012 at 19:43.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Thanks for the mini-review. I've looked at it before but shied away, and now I guess my gut reaction was right.

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    I recently unlocked this skill and so far I'm having a blast using it

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Barinthus View Post
    I recently unlocked this skill and so far I'm having a blast using it
    Me too! It's my first skill in my chain. Haven't really noticed that "locking down", maybe I just attributed it to my own clumsy fingers...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    Me too! It's my first skill in my chain. Haven't really noticed that "locking down", maybe I just attributed it to my own clumsy fingers...
    The lock down is still there. You will notice it by the channeling progression bar being up longer and your character frozen in the animation. This is not a visual bug. You can not move.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    October 22nd, 2012: The responsiveness of skills used after this skill has been improved.

Hopefully this means an end of the self-immobilizing-effect. If it is bug free now has to be tested.

PS: Self immobilization still happens.
    Last edited by Gorani; 27-10-2012 at 17:23.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Magnetic Grasp is now officially a Leap Finisher ... but we already knew that.

Gorani

Achievements:
    10 Posts1 year registered1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

Veritas Invictus

D/D Earth skill number 3 (Magnetic grasp) change

So it's now a two part skill, with the first part immobilizing the foe and second (optional) part pulling you to it. This also takes care of the issue with being locked up during the animation. What do you think?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Noob ele here... what was it before?
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    The same... except not separated. I haven't played my ele yet, but I'd be curious to see how it plays with my rotation, specially because I liked to use that with a fire skill to gain fire aura. (My ele is an auramancer)