PC Gaming News
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    The WP when dead cost is a penalty for not playing with others in an MMO. ;-)
    Oh? I play almost always with others. And yet I still must use that WP at times, simply because I die in a spot where the other can't come without dying himself or if we both die... It does happen, you know... (and that's why I said, "I was so stupid to die", because the most important reason why I die is because I made some silly mistake )
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i sometimes die because i log in while a DE is already around me, mostly i can play my character just before i die but it's to late at that point.
    i also sometimes die because the game has walls that shouldn't be there and holes that should not exist, in short, die because i fall of a cliff thanks to a map mistake.

dying isn't always the players fault, it's the game with flaws that kills you at times for no good reason.
    btw, traveling should not cost that much regardless, it's a horrible system and since we don't have mounts it makes the travel a hell which ever way you choose.
    you pay your bags empty or you walk all the way back with the chance of dying, making you pay twice regardless.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    and since we don't have mounts it makes the travel a hell which ever way you choose.
    I never understood why mounts would make map travel easier, so, please enlighten me...
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    I'm still waiting for my waypoint costs to get "expensive."

I was told that it would jump as I leveled. And clearly I do see an increase in price, but it's not unreasonable. I can easily fund hopping around the map a bunch, because I also take the time to gather and do events and generally not rush through things. I don't know what other people are doing, but the waypoint costs are still negligible.

Even though I'm doing map completion in zones that are lower level, I still make plenty of coin in the process. So while I level, I'll continue to wait for the cost to hit me.

p.s. My warrior is level 79. Not a lot of options left for the waypoint price to increase, but we'll see once I hit level 80.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    I never understood why mounts would make map travel easier, so, please enlighten me...
    well, you can go from one place to the other really fast while ignoring pretty much all the enemies you come across, with the system we have now the mount would be worth the cost so much more then travel costs do now.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Ehmry Bay
    Guild

[Loot]
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    well, you can go from one place to the other really fast while ignoring pretty much all the enemies you come across, with the system we have now the mount would be worth the cost so much more then travel costs do now.
    Everything you described can be done with traits and skills, namely swiftness, stability, snares and other control effects, dodging, and condition removal. Mounts just add development cost for all the new character models and animations to achieve effectively the same result.

Unless you think mounts should grant invulnerability or make mobs not target you, in which case, no. Shadow Form was a mistake that does not need to be repeated. Although apparently ANet thinks invulnerability for ~3 seconds is OK... sigh.
    Last edited by MisterB; 10-11-2012 at 18:49.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Running past all the enemies you see is probably why you think 79 copper is a lot of coin.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Everything you described can be done with traits and skills, namely swiftness, stability, snares and other control effects, dodging, and condition removal. Mounts just add development cost for all the new character models and animations to achieve effectively the same result.

Unless you think mounts should grant invulnerability or make mobs not target you, in which case, no. Shadow Form was a mistake that does not need to be repeated. Although apparently ANet thinks invulnerability for ~3 seconds is OK... sigh.
    You're forgetting one thing: using roads.

If you use roads, you'll be virtually unmolested... That's what I use a lot to get by (naturally, I often leave that road because I see that one node I must harvest... and then there's that other and ...)

I think the idea with WP costs was to force people to enjoy the world. It's a huge world; there are tons of things to see on the way from point A to point B, lots of events, resources, helping others kill random bad guys... I don't think anyone uses WPs because of the cost, but that means you're a lot more likely to get some help for that event or skill point or even get a random revive.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughAlready View Post
    then they shouldn't have @/*%€# up the guild & alliance system so badly.

More proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    Oh? I play almost always with others. And yet I still must use that WP at times, simply because I die in a spot where the other can't come without dying himself or if we both die... It does happen, you know... (and that's why I said, "I was so stupid to die", because the most important reason why I die is because I made some silly mistake )
    The winking smilie meant I was making a little joke. Sorry for riling you two up.

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughAlready View Post
    Have to second this.
    Map travel in GW was the answer to the MMO commuters nightmare, & it is, encouraging exploration, because you can always quickly get back to a town, & making grouping up for missions easy, because it takes no time to get to the launch point.
    Now that it costs a non trivial amount of money, more than a hearts worth, it has discouraged all of that.

And before some idiot writes that its to act as a gold sink. If they wanted gold sinks then they shouldn't have enabled buying gold with gems with real money.

To me, it is just another example of how the new Devs haven't thought things through properly. Haven't thought how the change will affect players behaviour, assuming instead that we will, in this case, continue to ping around the map, with no detrimental impact on exploring, grouping & adventuring.

The Devs just haven't thought & throwing the baby out with the bath water.

More evidence that GW, other than jumping & swimming, is mechanically a better game than GW2 in every way.
    The point of the WP cost was to keep price inflation from becoming too much of a problem for casual and new players.

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    I'm still waiting for my waypoint costs to get "expensive."

I was told that it would jump as I leveled. And clearly I do see an increase in price, but it's not unreasonable. I can easily fund hopping around the map a bunch, because I also take the time to gather and do events and generally not rush through things. I don't know what other people are doing, but the waypoint costs are still negligible.

Even though I'm doing map completion in zones that are lower level, I still make plenty of coin in the process. So while I level, I'll continue to wait for the cost to hit me.

p.s. My warrior is level 79. Not a lot of options left for the waypoint price to increase, but we'll see once I hit level 80.
    I mostly agree with this, but it does sound a bit like telling people "you're playing the game wrong," so I suppose one could explore the idea that while it is serving its purpose, perhaps the developers didn't appreciate how WP costs would affect a few unexpected play styles.

On the other hand, I wonder too about people's expectations of making money in this game. I was not rich in GW1 until several years into the game and that was mostly because over time I didn't spend my money on shiny things I didn't need and sold things on the open market here and there to make a little more money (well and the luck of being in the game for a long time and getting in on the occassional good deal like the Xunlai Tournament stuff). Now we have the TP which makes that even easier, and numerous other ways to easily make about 1 gold every day or two from a variety of activities (dailies, monthlies, map completion, gathering/selling resources, dynamic events, dungeons, jumping puzzle loot, etc). Or you can just buy gems if you want something enough but don't have the time or ability to get it through regular game play. That's considerably more flexibility than I recall having in GW1 when I started playing right after Factions came out.

But I see people complaining (on the official forums) about the cost of legendary weapons when, to me any way, those sounded like something a casual player would take a couple years of playing to be able to afford. There will always be those who are either smart enough or who have enough time to get these things way before the masses, but regular players shouldn't expect to generate a fortune quickly because if everyone gets rich fast, then the prices of the stuff you want will go up fast.

I think a better question is whether you can afford to buy the stuff you want to enjoy the game while still leaving you with long term goals to add a little spice/incentive to long term play.