PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)

Mob AI: Range attack mobs should move around when attacking. Dodge when hit by AoE.

In GW2 you are no longer frozen in place when you attack from range. But the mobs doesn't take advantage of that. They just stand still as long as you are "in range" of their attack.

There are no reasons for them not to move. Even a sample "Move left for 2 seconds. Move right for 2 seconds." movement while in combat will help them avoid a lot of hits.

On that note, there are zero reasons for ranged mobs to stand in AoEs. They should dodge out of there asap.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    My experience with mob dodging is that it can get irritating. I've tried with mobs dodging continuously, not at all, and anything in between... I find that a mild amount of dodging makes the combat more interesting.

By my taste anyway, mileage may differ.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Tamini Archers certainly move around during combat, so it isn't universal that ranged foes do not move. It does make one wonder why most do not, though.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    My guess would be variety.

When designing AI, it's fun to give them different behaviours to mix it up.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    leave it this way, they can be quite annoying already, make them dodge constantly and you'll find the melee professions to be quite left out of the fun.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'm more worried about the ranged professions actually... following a foe that is already in melee range (given most melee'ers circle-strafe anyway) should not be too hard... But if foes move around they become significantly harder to hit with ranged attacks, and it's not like you can aim your shots to anticipate their moves...
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I'm more worried about the ranged professions actually... following a foe that is already in melee range (given most melee'ers circle-strafe anyway) should not be too hard... But if foes move around they become significantly harder to hit with ranged attacks, and it's not like you can aim your shots to anticipate their moves...
    Good point. But in PvP everyone moves around, and nobody complains. The idea is to make players better, instead of limiting their potentials with bad AI.

On a related topic, I notice a big difference between a player's range attacks and a mob's range attacks. Ranged mobs attacks much slower than a player, but at the same time they hit much harder.

Take my level 68 thief for example. My range attack (auto attack 1) deals 300 damage a hit. A mob's range attack easily deals over 1,500 damage, not even critical. The Risen Frog mob have this 5-hit-attack that easily deals 5,000 damage, half my whole health bar, and it also poisons. Many of the ranged bosses easily hits for 4,000 damage one hit. Of course, to balance things out the mobs attack at a MUCH slower rate than the players' "spam" attacks.

This was 100% proven during my recent encounters with those Earth Elemental in Mount Maelstrom. This mob can reflect projectile attacks. When they reflect back to me, they dealt 300 damage to me, exactly the same damage I would have dealt to the mob. What that means is that the damage difference isn't armor related. The mobs simply hits much harder, but attacks slower.

In other words, mobs can "afford" to tank the player's attacks, since they doesn't hurt that much relatively. On the other hand a player "must" dodge, since the mob's attacks are pretty deadly.

I wonder why they designed the game this way. In GW1, mobs are basically a carbon copy of the player, except being controlled by the AI.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 02-11-2012 at 20:17.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    And the player should dodge!

The issue about mobs dodging is that you really don't have much control over where your shots go. This is quite unlike in a fps where aiming and anticipating dodge/strafe is common. Since you can't control your shots (with few exceptions) the task become as simple as being close enough so the target doesn't move, and to stay alive long enough for the win (and use the right skills at the right time too).

In games where you aim your shots, foes tend to move around more, and die with fewer hits.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Enemies hitting slower and harder is (IMO) obviously to induce active play. If they slowly drain you down like poison, you'll just stand in one spot hitting c-space[1] again. Single 5k hits will make you run around and dodge.

I don't particularly like mobs dodging, I'd rather have them have more health. It is the same result, except you have no way of knowing when they'll evade like you do with humans. The mobs that evade right now just miss your power attacks and it's annoying. You're never in danger, you are just annoyed.

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    Enemies hitting slower and harder is (IMO) obviously to induce active play. If they slowly drain you down like poison, you'll just stand in one spot hitting c-space[1] again. Single 5k hits will make you run around and dodge.

I don't particularly like mobs dodging, I'd rather have them have more health. It is the same result, except you have no way of knowing when they'll evade like you do with humans. The mobs that evade right now just miss your power attacks and it's annoying. You're never in danger, you are just annoyed.
    They can ramming up experience and drop rates on mobs. They are harder to kill, but more rewards.

My view is mobs AIs should offer the highest challenge possible. Hold nothing back. Adjust rewards accordingly after. Gameplay should always be the #1 priority.

The mobs, as of right now, doesn't even run out of the player's AoE nukes, something that even the GW1 mobs do.

I don't want to see another huge skills gap between PvE players and PvP players.