PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I'm willing to believe that MV's entourage is not representative of the usual republican that makes the news.
    Most of the folks in my circle of peers are professionals; chemists, mechanical and chemical engineers, marketing people and etc., and the majority of them are Republicans...no, let me correct that--conservatives. A fair number of them are religious but believe devoutly in scientific concepts like evolution (I'm honestly not really sure how that works) and all the other scientifical stuffs. There are actually conservative concepts that make sense, y'know, and have nothing to do with religion. The problem is that conservatism in general is a better fit for Republicans than Democrats...but it is by no means whatsoever a perfect fit. I keep trying to hammer in that the reality is most people fit into the largest area of a bell curve, somewhere in between conservatism and liberalism. Most of us here do, with leanings in one direction or another.

Do you think Democratic scientists are somehow more scientific than Republican scientists? I'm curious.
    mv

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Most of the marketing professionals you know are Republicans? Weird. Although, it is a predominantly straight, white profession. And if it's traditional media, that means they're all likely of the "mature" generation

I'm joking, of course. Though, I do find it bizarre that most of the marketing folks you know are Republicans. Almost everyone I know in my industry is liberal.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Conservatives. The term 'Republican' can be misleading. But you're right--most of them are probably 40+ years old.
    mv

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    Do you think Democratic scientists are somehow more scientific than Republican scientists? I'm curious.
    Not at all.

And I think there are perfectly good reasons to be conservative. A return to family values. A return to a sense of community. Charity. Republican politicians, however, tend to talk about those values but then they don't imo carry it out in action.

I have no problem with faith, even within science. I like to say that most great scientists in history were deeply religious, in fact many were using science to study the creation of God. Science and faith are not mutually incompatible, they are only when you refuse to reconcile the word of God with facts.

There's also good reasons to aim for smaller government, but imo not in US's current culture. In a healthier society where people value truth and being good to each other, sure.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    wtf is family values? whenever I hear that term being used, it's always referring to the nuclear family, which these days is pretty much just fantasy land and exudes bucket loads of people from being considered "family". When I heard Conservative politicians use that word, it's always been the old white guy trying to assert his old man male dominance over society. Which is going totally our the window. Visible minorities and women are where the power is going now.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Yup, agreed, Giggles.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    What I mean by family values is tighter family bonds, whatever your family is composed of.

But I have no idea what the government can do for that, aside for actually giving tax breaks for families, and helping reduce unwanted pregnancies.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    As someone who doesn't want kids and probably doesn't want to get married, I don't know how much I agree with tax breaks for families... Families already have incentives that single folks don't - that's one of the reasons same-sex marriage is important outside of a equality argument.

Tax breaks for families are kind of necessary, especially for lower incomes. Children are very expensive to raise.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    And sticky. Get a fish or something.