GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]

My favorite profession for X is Y because Z

I tend to like certain professions more for certain tasks.

Right now, my favorite profession for WvW is Engineer. That's why she got the full exotic set first :)

Mortar elite is just awesome at raining hellfire from a fortress wall, unlike other ranged weapons, those mortar shells are ballistic so they can go over the edge from a safe distance. Even for grenades I have to go to the edge of the wall, and expose myself to some serious damage and even risk of being pulled over.

Then, the grenade kit is just awesome at ranged AoE, any regular weapon set is good at picking off single foes at a range. Shield is good defensively, or to block people from entering their fort which explains my pistol+shield preference.

And you get a good elixir for running speed, and some turrets for extra damage at a safe distance (they keep firing even if you back away, and many don't shoot the turrets down).

And for a change of pace, you can equip the elixir gun and play a more support / healer role.

Now if I can just figure out good traits.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    my favorite profession for general PvE is still the necro, i can do events on my own that are made for 3 man teams and still have enough space left for unexpected enemies.

the wells i use are just great, well of suffering takes out entire groups while well of darkness makes most enemies completely useless.
    then i have all the marks on the staff to slow them down while my flesh horror keeps them busy, since the big update i use the blood fient constantly and it makes attacking enemies much easier because it's also attacking while healing me in the progress.

i even have a trait to help ppl stay alive when i revive them, it's just a wonderful profession to take down so many enemies while surviving is a non-issue.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I haven't played the necro much, but yes, from what I did play, survival was never an issue. If I tried for survivor, I'd do it on necro for sure.

-----

My favorite for killing bosses 1vs1 is mesmer!

Aside for a weakness to AoE's (which you can to some extent avoid by spreading your clones) you can be pretty hard to kill by keeping a constant supply of clones around. If it gets too easy, shatter them to get extra damage. Scepter is very good defensively, so you can chip away at a boss safely. Staff is very solid too if you can get closer especially. And the gameplay is a lot more interesting than tanking the boss or nuke-strafing. For one, you have to decide whether to shatter or not. Shattering ups the damage but reduces your ability to survive. For two, you don't have to move all the time if the boss is busy with a clone of yours. And for three, you need to manage your clone skills so you can make a new one if the boss targets you.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I like playing elementalist for all the things. It's like playing bite-sized chunks of a selection of traditional MMO classes, rolled into one.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    I usually use my guardian to complete the daily in Frostgorge. I consider it a well-rounded character with runspeed, passive healing and decent damage. It can easily solo some of the events and take on several foes, without forcing me into too much finger-acrobatics. I can use that part for chatting then

Dungeons and WvW I'm currently doing on my warrior. I've recently switched to a shout-based build which I'm enjoying a lot. This is more for the novelty than anything else really, I just like the char/class.

I'm currently trying to figure out what I might like as a 3rd lvl 80 and for what... haven't gotten anything far/high enough to pick my interest though.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I really liked warrior in WvW during the beta. That was a profession I was considering not to roll because it had too much overlap with guardian and ranger... but I am starting to change my mind.

Elementalist I still have a problem with in that 20 weapon skills is a lot to remember. The engineer is more manageable in that sense. Maybe it's just a question of practice, but with 6-7 alts, I tend to prefer a bit easier playstyles each.

My favorite for dungeons is the guardian. Only real problem is that mine is charr, so in Caucadeous Manor it's really a problem with the camera. In other places I tried so far, it's ok. But dungeons is a really good challenge for this tough profession, and I find that especially as a frontline I am switching weapon sets a lot. Different foes require different approaches. Bosses even. Every main hand weapon and two-hand weapon gets used. The bubbles are also quite important for keeping people alive.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Alaris, if you have trouble remembering all the skills, just pick two elements to focus on first, and learn those skills. Gradually you will find yourself switching into the other two, even if only because everything else is on cooldown. Eventually you start to find that each attunement provides a certain flavour of skills, and switching will become automatic (eg. "Oh crap, all the things are heading my way - better switch to Earth. Oh crap, all my allies are low on HP, better switch to water.")
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    I love my warrior for being so versatile. The necro gets more playtime I'm afraid, but my warrior is my swiss army knife if I need something hard done.

What she can't tank, she can usually kill with brute force.

If that doesn't work, well then a quick weapon swap (and sometimes a complete trait reset + armor and accessory swap...) can usually turn things around in my favour.

But my favourite part about my warrior is that she's a tiny asura and that's a huge advantage in low ceilinged passages/tunnels. Particularly during jump puzzles.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Oh yeah, the problem with the elementalist is (1) lack of time playing it, and (2) too many alts with their own builds I also need to learn. So basically, that problem will fix itself in time. But thanks for the advice, it's a good advice.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Give ele a try Alaris. The different weapon combinations each have their own flavour and the attunement changes become second nature after a short while.

For general pve play and dungeons etc, Staff is a good weapon because of its many aoe attacks and the aoe heals.