PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Nook View Post
    GW has changed a lot and I see no reason as to why GW2 won't experience similar change.
    Change yes, but similar one? I'm not sure about that part.

GW1 moved a lot towards casual/solo friendly past EOTN, like reducing the PvE-only skill scaling, reducing title-grind in general, or adding 7 heroes, something they initially said will never happen. I think what we remember GW1 for is Anet's way of making it as easily available as possible, to attract old and new players in preparation for GW2.

GW2 is quite a different game with a different crowd. With the recent introduction of Ascended gear Anet has shown that they will keep adding additional character/gear progression to keep their MMO-oriented playerbase happy. I don't think we will see anything like GW1's way to solo/instances happen anytime soon. And when we will, it will likely mean that the game wasn't that successful

The OP should be more like "GW1 is nowhere near GW2"

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

A dead one (SF)
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Well, thank you for your well substantiated and eloquent post. I'll be sure to tell everyone I know that they can go back to gw1 now, with such a flourishing, thriving community playing it. Oh, I bet population has tripled since 2007! There must be 10 american districts of kamadan with all these gw2 quitters! How exciting!
    All jokes aside, if GW1 still had a flourishing, thriving community, I probably would've gone back to it already. As much as I'm trying to enjoy GW2 there's quite a few design decisions that I despise the more I play. GW1 kept me entertained for 7 years, and so far, it doesn't seem like GW2 will keep me entertained for 7 months.

/shrugs

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by satenia View Post
    GW1 moved a lot towards casual/solo friendly past EOTN, like reducing the PvE-only skill scaling, reducing title-grind in general, or adding 7 heroes, something they initially said will never happen.
    That happens in every game that has updates over time. First you cater to your dedicated crowd, then you ease up things to get new players. Easier and faster levelling over time has been done for all MMORPGs I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tru Reptile View Post
    GW1 kept me entertained for 7 years
    GW1 kept me entertained I think for 4 years. I joined when NF was released, and stopped playing about a year before GW2 released. 1 game a year is a solid average. If GW2 manages that, I'll be happy... that means a large expansion each year.
    Last edited by Alaris; 21-11-2012 at 15:10.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    GW2 kept me entertained I think for 4 years. I joined when NF was released, and stopped playing about a year before GW2 released. 1 game a year is a solid average.
    Hmm, we're still living in 2012 and not 2016! So, we'll get a NF update for GW2 as well? You shouldn't use that time machine that often, you'll get confused!
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Hahah well-spotted, Lady Rhonwyn,

To sum up, I think it's unfair to call one game better than the other when you're actually comparing very different products. Especially if you are ignoring anything good the new game offers. Here's a short list of differences between GW1 and GW2:

(1) four games vs one
    (2) fixed team size vs variable team size
    (3) instanced-only vs instanced + persistence
    (4) pre-combat build flexibility vs in-combat build flexibility
    (5) more attrition-based combat vs more positional-based combat (though both have a bit of both)
    (6) missions that can be skipped sometimes, vs storyline that branches quite heavily
    (7) quests vs hearts & dynamic events

This is just a reminder of many long discussions we've had in the past, that I don't think we need to repeat just for Age. He can go and get himself up-to-date if he cares, but given he didn't even post in one of the many GW2 complaint threads, it seems to me he does not care enough.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    (5) more attrition-based combat vs more positional-based combat (though both have a bit of both)
    I must say, I am disappointed ANet didn't really make use of their "new" z-axis. Why have the ability to jump on a rock and attack from a height, when the foe will become invulnerable anyway? You can't really fight tactically as long as that is the case.

I see a huge group of people, and a big rock above them so they can't reach me (without ranged attacks), I will
    a) jump in the middle of them with my bow and start shooting them
    b) climb that rock and pepper them with arrows from above

The same with a warrior. Same situation. That warrior will
    a) jump in the middle of them and start slashing with his sword
    b) climb that rock and jump down on the group and then will start slashing with his sword

The second one is possible, but doesn't have a tactical advantage: your foe won't get damaged. And in case of the ranged attacks, even become invulnerable!
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    I am disappointed ANet didn't really make use of their "new" z-axis.
    Agreed.

This has been discussed to long lengths elsewhere though, I don't want to encourage every new troll that pops up by rehashing threads they're too lazy to search for themselves.

I have to go try the Kodan map now.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Guild

MVOP
    I really don't understand the excuse of the corporate loyalists. That 'GW1 was 7 years old and wasn't as good at start either blah blah blah'.

What other industry is there where it's perfectly acceptable to NOT learn from experience?

Sorry to hear about so many car crashes, we knew X breaks worked after a bit of trial & error on the last model, but this isn't just a sequel it's a totally different model, so we didn't fit any breaks at all on this one.

I spend a fair bit of my work day (Civil+structural designer - renewable energy) in lessons learned meetings. What worked well, what could be improved, what to avoid in future. Even when adopting a radically new technology, you look to adapt what worked well.

There is NO excuse for GW2 to not have been as at launch as GW1 is now. NONE.

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughAlready View Post

I don't understand this. What is missing that GW1 had, heroes?!?

I think every other detail has been met, when comparing games, GW2 is so completely different to GW1. Looking back it, GW1 was the most simple basic game one could make, and is outshined in new current games, GW2.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by EnoughAlready View Post
    I'm divided on this one.

On the one hand, I really think GW2 should have been as bug-free as possible, with all main features in at the start. But then, people were also impatiently demanding that the game comes out NOW without any hint of understanding that earlier releases comes with more bugs and missing features.

On the other hand, GW2 had a lot of innovations added in, and quite a bit of bugs have to do with this directly, e.g. scaling not working properly, holes in the map that need to be fixed (new maps, plus z-axis), etc. Even old features might not have been importable as-is into the new game, explaining why sometimes it's not added right away or if it is, why it has some bugs.

I think a lot of gamers have unrealistic expectations when it comes to games because they just don't realize what's involved in making them.
    == Alaris & clone ==