PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Guild

MVOP
    Are you just trolling? Pick an argument & stick to it. Either it isn't a fair comparison (because of 7 years ah wah wah wet myself) or GW2 is better.

Trolls

GW2 is bugged all the way to the neighbour of Gomorrah & back.

You can't choose your own skill bar. If I have to take 2/3/4 skills I don't want for one I do, that that does NOT equal choice.

No Alliances.

No Guild halls.

S(%\] up Mesmer.

S(%\] up lore.

Can't use all weapons.

Hell just read the 'How would you improve thread' I've fed you enough.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Age View Post
    I am playing Warrior and Ranger ,Warrior with a shotgun as I encouter lots of geers with firearams.
    I really have no idea what you're saying here.

I would say with all the time it took to make this you figure would be quality product but it no where near good a GW is and will never be.Gw2 will never be the game GW was and still is.
    You're wrong. I'd tell you why you're wrong, but... nah. Just wrong.

The primary problem I have with your post is that you've mentioned almost nothing concrete. I'll be the first to admit that GW2 has its flaws. But it's hard to even begin to discuss them with your vague hand-waving post.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by EnoughAlready View Post
    (...)
    Some good points, here's some replies...

The GW1 skillbar choices allowed you a lot more bad choices. Most good bars were not all that flexible, you had your elite, a few skills there to make that elite work well, with sometimes a few skills where you could opt for variants of the same idea instead. And those skills were limited by your attribute point investment strategy. There were maybe a few skills if lucky that were truly optional. Compared to GW2 where most skills are pretty independent of each other, you pick 2 weapon sets, 1 heal, 3 optionals, and 1 elite, that's actually making 7 choices (instead of 8) much of which is completely free to your fancy.

Also, I prefer the GW2 mesmer over the GW1 one, though I can see pros and cons over that issue.

Being able to use all weapons is meh considering you get to have different gameplay linked to weapons across professions. I prefer the new system, though admittedly I'd want more choice still (e.g. longbow on guardian, more weapons on engineer).
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Are you just trolling? Pick an argument & stick to it. Either it isn't a fair comparison (because of 7 years ah wah wah wet myself) or GW2 is better.

Trolls

GW2 is bugged all the way to the neighbour of Gomorrah & back.

You can't choose your own skill bar. If I have to take 2/3/4 skills I don't want for one I do, that that does NOT equal choice.

No Alliances.

No Guild halls.

S(%€\€] up Mesmer.

S(%€\€] up lore.

Can't use all weapons.

Hell just read the 'How would you improve thread' I've fed you enough.
    Name calling really?

Skills are balanced through weapons, if you cherry pick skills balance is out the door.

Alliances offer nothing right now and why would they be there? It didn't get added till Factions which was quite a distance away from GW1.

Guild Halls, same reason above, the may have a want, but provide nothing in this open world.

I'm rocking mesmer, and it's great... is it your playstyle maybe?

Lore... definately not in game but everywhere else. Books offer some, and there just isn't a whole lot explained in game. Cutscenes are fine but with everyone all over the place, where else would you want to do, go to a library and read pages after page. part of the lore is what we know in GW1.

weapons are balanced between skills and classes, enough.

And I think the improve thread, there's alot of crazy ideas... one like, make it like WoW... mounts... 1v1 open pvp... crazy ideas are crazy
    Last edited by Xycury; 21-11-2012 at 17:35. Reason: changed

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    There is NO excuse for GW2 to not have been as at launch as GW1 is now. NONE.
    Well, they're separate games with barely any connection. It's not as if it was the same company or a sequel of the first game...

Quote Originally Posted by Xycury View Post
    Alliances offer nothing right now and why would they be there?
    It would offer the option to be in a guild and still play together with someone who's in another guild. I.e. having an alliance of guilds...

It didn't get added till Factions which was quite a distance away from GW1.
    I think that's one of the things that have been learned in GW1 and forgotten in GW2.

Lore... definately not in game but everywhere else
    Since I'm not up-to-date on lore - how many different continuities are there now? If the game doesn't offer the lore, what does? Are all books cross-checked, all websites made by the same people?
    How to know which source is canon?
    (If anyone played Eve online, you might know what I mean. Barely any in-game lore, some self-contradicting lore on the website (which got changed later on), books that contradict it all again, etc... Though maybe they butchered, I mean cleaned it up by now.)

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Guild

MVOP
    Skills are balanced through weapons, if you cherry pick skills balance is out the door.
    only if you think the dev's are idiots would that argument be true, it has been thoroughly debunked in other threads already.

Alliances offer nothing right now and why would they be there?
    they only offer nothing because they aren't there. If they were there, then there's a lot to offer.

It didn't get added till Factions which was quite a distance away from GW1.
    Didn't take long to get back to the 'GW1 was 7 years old' did it? Also completely fails to address the point in my original post.

Guild Halls, same reason above, the may have a want, but provide nothing in this open world.
    they would provide exactly what they provided in GW1.
    A place to train together, handy storage, access to merchants & banks, a place to meet group for dungeons or events, hell even just a place to hang out.

Did you even play GW1? Or fo you just not have any friends?

I'm rocking mesmer, and it's great... is it your playstyle maybe?
    I can far to readily believe you'd prefer the dumbed down version over the real thing, you don't need to convince me.

Lore... definately not in game but everywhere else. Books offer some, and there just isn't a whole lot explained in game. Cutscenes are fine but with everyone all over the place, where else would you want to do, go to a library and read pages after page. part of the lore is what we know in GW1.
    Haven't read the books, shouldn't need to.

weapons are balanced between skills and classes, enough.
    GW1 I could use any weapon on any profession.

And I think the improve thread, there's alot of crazy ideas... one like, make it like WoW... mounts... 1v1 open pvp... crazy ideas are crazy
    And??? Or do you believe that a few crazy ideas negates a whole thread? If so I'll just set you to ignore because in your previous post alone you've negated anything else you may have to contribute.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Alliances offer nothing right now (...) Guild Halls provide nothing in this open world.
    We've lost a number of friends due to lack of alliance. We also don't have a good place to call our own, in which to throw a party, group up, or discuss Guild matters.

it has been thoroughly debunked in other threads already. (...) you'd prefer the dumbed down version over the real thing, you don't need to convince me. (...) GW1 I could use any weapon on any profession.
    What's been debunked? GW2 system is easier to balance, that is for sure.

Mesmer is different, a lot of it depends on preferences... but the new mesmer is quite complex to play well, hardly what I'd call dumbed-down.

And so what you could use any weapon on any profession? Most of those combos were bad anyway... even sword dervish was highly criticized by many (wrongly or not) and in fact it was for the longest time better to use scythe on a non-dervish. Objectively, the freedom came at a high cost to quality.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    I don't understand this. What is missing that GW1 had, heroes?!?

I think every other detail has been met, when comparing games, GW2 is so completely different to GW1. Looking back it, GW1 was the most simple basic game one could make, and is outshined in new current games, GW2.
    actually GW1 and GW2 can't really be compared, one is a fully instance but dynamic based game while two is a persistent zerg fest.
    at least GW1 has a kind of consistency so everyone could play on a stable but fun way, GW2 is good in it's own way but it encourages grind and farming allot more and allot of things are out of control.
    i have had more crashes with GW2 in one month then i had with GW1 in 4 years, the game is simply not stable enough and it misses something that made GW1 so good.

to answer your question, GW1 had the flexibility to go from one place to the other, follow the story line you want to follow and have no restrictions on replaying a part of a story.
    GW2 forces you to pay just to get somewhere which is getting more and more expensive, the story lines are locked behind your personal story and you can never ever play a different path ones you choose one.

it is missing some more things but that just takes to long to go in to, the point is just that GW2 can use some GW1 spirit in it.
    let us play a mission in an instance just like in GW1, let us choose a different path ones you completed the story to a part and let us get what we want even if it's not part of the story you chose.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Quote Originally Posted by Age View Post
    This game is no where near as good as the Original.It doesn't feel like guild wars reminds me more of Lotr although even that is better.The learning curve is no where to be seen as GW was.

I am playing Warrior and Ranger ,Warrior with a shotgun as I encouter lots of geers with firearams.When I ma playing Ranger I ma using axes instead of a bow as well as a bear.I never liked the beast mastery in GW as it was only good up till level 10.When I started my Archer in PWI I got bow as my first weapon and the same for Lotr and they play better than Ranger in this game.

I much prefer to have sense of direction much like in GW as you know where you are going with quests and missions.

I don't like the fact when I do go down I have to pay to go back to a waypoint.The game doesn't look anything as good as GW does even in PWI I don't have to pay.It would be nice to have healer around.

I would say with all the time it took to make this you figure would be quality product but it no where near good a GW is and will never be.Gw2 will never be the game GW was and still is.I would of rather of paid for rebuilt GW instead of this.

The pvp is not a good a GW is as well I gues that is why they flocked back to GW.
    What I found lacking is not the sense of direction in the story. The story on GW2 is actually better than GW1. The problem is that all these quests are soloed. Isn't the point of removing monks from the game to encourage partying? If so why doesn't story quests involve more people?

Another thing is the lack of polish and details in some of those quests. For example GW1 Thunderhead Keep. It took many failures for many of us to finally get the quest and complete it. There are actually some thinking and planning involved, like keeping the king alive while holding the gates. Another example was Elona Reach. I lost count how many times I failed that quest during my noob days. But that was part of the challenge. In GW2, on the other hand, you literally cannot fail any of the story quests. I mean you come right back when you die, so how can you fail? And there are rarely any thinking and planning involved. I played though pretty much the whole story campaign and not even once was I challenged to think. Well of course, I can't fail.

Its the classic argument of how old games were much harder and hardcore than newer games. How Doom was a much better game than Modern Warfare, etc. A player only feel achievement when there were failures.

The same theory carries forward to events like the Lost Shore. From what I heard, the players had almost no chance of failing those quests. The mobs (Karka) had a ton of hp but they rarely threatens the players enough to actually win. Sure a player does down here and there but as a group the players had no chance of failing.

As for map travelling, I had been saying it should be free since forever. After that I suggested a cheap flat rate based on level, instead of base on location. My necro runs around with swiftness on all the time, so I just run her from place to place to save money. But honestly 4 silver coins to travel from one place to another is very expensive.

Now, I loved everything about GW1.
    Missions, AB, quests & hero quests especially made me feel like my actions were making a real difference to the world (if I rescued a girl in Shenzun tunnels she stayed rescued, rescue that girl from the destroyer hole & she's back again in a few minutes! Dizzy little bimbo, leave her to die).
    It's a really good game. It is now utterly empty however.
    It's not that GW2 is beyond redemption, there is so much great stuff in there from the beautiful world to little lore touches (Sylvari are Welsh!).
    My main gripe is that it is the lore though. Anet betrayed us there.
    Well that can't be helped. You can only make a difference in the world for 20 minutes. Else the player that comes after you cannot enjoy the same content.

But I do understand what you mean. When I saw the trailer of the movie Taken 2 I LOLed. I mean seriously? :P

Quote Originally Posted by satenia View Post
    Change yes, but similar one? I'm not sure about that part.

GW1 moved a lot towards casual/solo friendly past EOTN, like reducing the PvE-only skill scaling, reducing title-grind in general, or adding 7 heroes, something they initially said will never happen. I think what we remember GW1 for is Anet's way of making it as easily available as possible, to attract old and new players in preparation for GW2.

GW2 is quite a different game with a different crowd. With the recent introduction of Ascended gear Anet has shown that they will keep adding additional character/gear progression to keep their MMO-oriented playerbase happy. I don't think we will see anything like GW1's way to solo/instances happen anytime soon. And when we will, it will likely mean that the game wasn't that successful

The OP should be more like "GW1 is nowhere near GW2"
    GW1 eventually had to be solo friendly because it became harder and harder to find people to play with. It doesn't mean GW1's design was bad. Its just GW1 eventually became an old game and people tend to leave old games.

What drew many of us GW1 players in was from partying with other people. Back in the hay days of GW1 you can easily find people to do all sort of quests. And that was awesome.

As the game ages, it becomes harder to find party. And worst of all, it became very hard to draw new players in. I invited a few friends to join GW1. But they eventually quit because they felt that GW1 is a single player game. Many never got to the point of those end game contents and serious skill bar design.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    I must say, I am disappointed ANet didn't really make use of their "new" z-axis. Why have the ability to jump on a rock and attack from a height, when the foe will become invulnerable anyway? You can't really fight tactically as long as that is the case.

I see a huge group of people, and a big rock above them so they can't reach me (without ranged attacks), I will
    a) jump in the middle of them with my bow and start shooting them
    b) climb that rock and pepper them with arrows from above

The same with a warrior. Same situation. That warrior will
    a) jump in the middle of them and start slashing with his sword
    b) climb that rock and jump down on the group and then will start slashing with his sword

The second one is possible, but doesn't have a tactical advantage: your foe won't get damaged. And in case of the ranged attacks, even become invulnerable!
    I also hate the invulnerability, but I understand their reasoning. They wanted to prevent abuse and free exp from certain locations. But where do they draw the line. Sure some people (minority) will abuse, but a majority of the people only wants to take advantage of the terrain. Anet will need to figure this out.

The worst are those underwater invulnerability. Hate those very much.
    Last edited by CHIPS; 21-11-2012 at 21:48.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
    In GW2, on the other hand, you literally cannot fail any of the story quests. I mean you come right back when you die, so how can you fail?
    Aren't you weakened each time and losing armor? While your enemies are rapidly healed? Or is that only in the regular quests/events/whatever?

I agree that quests/events seem to be lacking, but I don't think forcing the player to die repeatedly is what they need.