Thread: Signet of Air

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]

Signet of Air

Yesterday my guild mate Wethospu asked me about my opinion concerning "Signet of Air", which an Elementalist in his Fractals teams proclaimed to be the "best utility skill the Elementalists has". I could not agree, so I am asking myself: "Why did that person think that this is so good?". Pondering about the skill created this weeks Skills of Interest thread. Enjoy and join the discussion.

Signet of Air
    Current GW2wiki description (November, 2012) :

Passive: Grants a 25% increase in movement speed.
    Active: Blind your target and nearby foes.
    Blind: 5 s Damage
    Radius: 240 Range: 1,200
    Breaks stun

Slot
    Type
    Icon
    Skill
    Traits affecting the skill
    Utility
    Tier 2
    Signet Signet of Air 30

Change-log (since March 2012)

• It started out as a 10 second blind.
    • Became a Tier 2 skill when the tier system was introduced in May 2012 beta events.
    • The "nearby foes" had been specified to a 240 radius prior to the release of GW2 in the June beta event.
    • With the December 14th, 2012 update the 10% passive speed buff was increased to 25%.
    • June 25th update added a stun breaker to the skill, returning the recharge to 30 seconds

Skill assessment

• This skill can be activated while stunned or knocked down, or while activating other skills. It shares this ability with Cantrips, so it is not exclusive.
    • The passive speed boost of 25% is now on par with the Thief's "Signet of Shadow", which makes this "almost swiftness speed" much better than it was before the Dec. 14th, 2012 update.
    • Is travelling across maps better with Signet of Air? Again, the 25% it has now makes it now a viable travelling tool compared to "One with Air", especially since you can swap out the signet faster than change a trait before entering combat.
    • Side note: For fast running, a combination of "Updraft" + "Glyph of Elemental Harmony" in Air and attunement swapping can still keep up a permanent swiftness boon and is faster than just using "Signet of Air".
    • How does the blind effect compare to other skills the Elementalist has? "Blinding Flash" (Scepter) activates twice as often (un-traited Signet), but only blinds one foe and has no damage component. "Lightning Surge" (Staff) does four times the base damage, but only has half the radius. "Dust Devil" has similar damage & recharge, but twice the duration of Signet of Air. It also has the potential to blind more foe due to its cone shaped AoE. It can be evaded though.
    • A big plus of Signet of Air is its utility bar status, as it can be used in addition to the weapon skills named before, offering more blind.
    • Its big rival as a mass blind is Glyph of Storms in Earth Attunement. As the damage pulses re-apply blindness after three seconds, the earth storm can keep group blinded longer and more effectively than the Signet. The very long recharge of Glyph of Storms forgives no bad tactical casting compared to the Signet.
    • A very big plus of Signet of Air is its synergy with a lot of traits (listed above). A signet build offers faster recharges (goes down to 16 seconds), free Vulnerability condition and more dodging due to an endurance gain.
    Last edited by Gorani; 30-06-2013 at 12:26.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    What I have been using this signet in conjunction with scepter/focus for is the aforementioned near constant blinding, which I found to be a really fun build. It's also good for running through if you opt for earth for higher armor/Obsidian Flesh or constant switching to water for condition removal (req 10 in water).

But in dungeon groups, this skill I almost never choose this skill since there are other professions that can apply blinding or any other damage prevention, and other utilities like Lightning Flash, Mist Form, or Arcane Shield is superior for emergency self protection. It might be good for WvW due to 10% faster running without switching to air and blinding, but I haven't played my elementalist enough in WvW to testify.

I'd say it's a great skill, but not best.
    ----------------------------satomz----------------------------
    -------------Fan Arts of all Types & Guild & Alliance Matchup & GW1-------------

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I've updated the assessment of Signet of Air after the December update.

With the better speed buff of 25%, it evolved to a really good signet, that actually is the best of the four elemental signets now (discuss if you disagree).

Gorani
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    I've updated the assessment of Signet of Air after the December update.

With the better speed buff of 25%, it evolved to a really good signet, that actually is the best of the four elemental signets now (discuss if you disagree).

Gorani
    I don't disagree at all, though I barely use it even in its new form. I could see myself bringing it if I ever decided to spec mostly in Earth traits though.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    The June 25th 2013 update added a stun breaker to the skill, returning the recharge to 30 seconds, so there is a buff & a nerf at the same time.