Hybrid View

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]

Support Guardians and Rewards

So I always hear this, and it drives me crazy. That when a Guardian switches to a ranged weapon and provides support to the party more than doing damage to the foes, that they get less rewards. And they cry and whine about it non-stop.

I don't know if I just simply have my expectations skewed or something, but whenever I get a chest at the end of a boss fight, my reaction is "oh loot yay!" I seldom care about it, I just sell it off immediately unless I can use it and go carrying on with my merry life.

Could it be that ArenaNet actually fixed this after the first few complaints on it? and that now people are just whining for the sake of whining? or am I just really not getting that great look and simply haven't even noticed? I'm not sure I hear this particular complaint about other professions, say a water ele. Thoughts?

If you don't damage a certain percentage of a monster's health for whatever reason you won't get loot/exp/event credit. It's really, really hard to make a character so inept that they can't do enough damage to get that credit though, unless you're way too low level. It usually comes from people spending an entire event reviving and putting up bubbles. That type of character is not needed, so I'm fine with them not getting credit.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    If all a player is doing is reviving and putting up bubbles, he shouldn't even say he's doing support. Real support means doing things that usually both aid allies and damage foes at the same time, such as symbols and consecrations, activating virtues, etc. If enough allies are going down that you can be kept busy with revivals, the event is doomed to failure anyway.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

I guess I got the impression that maybe some support guardians were getting greens while everyone else was getting rares or exotics. I mean, if they're not actually doing anything but ressing people I can understand they don't get anything. But suppose I'm only using support spells and yells and virtues and consecrations and stuff, without direct damage to the boss or whatever. Do I get the same rewards as everyone who's beating the boss while getting buffed by me?

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I guess I got the impression that maybe some support guardians were getting greens while everyone else was getting rares or exotics. I mean, if they're not actually doing anything but ressing people I can understand they don't get anything. But suppose I'm only using support spells and yells and virtues and consecrations and stuff, without direct damage to the boss or whatever. Do I get the same rewards as everyone who's beating the boss while getting buffed by me?
    I usually only get greens (if I'm lucky) while I see everybody around me spamming rares and exotics they have gotten as reward. And I'm on my ranger, who is 100% geared towards damage. So that has nothing to do with it.

But what is a problem is that if you are more geared towards buffing your allies and do do enough direct damage, you will get less loot. And I do believe that that is wrong. I'd say damage is damage, no matter if I do it personally or if I buff others so they'll do more damage.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    It's true that a guardian isn't getting any credit for damage done by allies operating under the influence of his virtues, firing through his light fields, etc. However, it's hard to see this as an issue. Throw a consecration somewhere where it will hit the boss while buffing melee in its vicinity and you've done direct damage. Fling an occasional orb in the boss's direction and detonate it so it will both damage the boss and heal allies in the vicinity. It isn't hard for a guardian to do some direct damage even when focused on support, given all the skills he has that do both damage and support at the same time. The melee are the ones most likely to need most of your support, and they happen to be the ones standing toe-to-toe with the boss.

This is probably what I love most about the guardian. Even if you focus your efforts entirely on DPS, you're STILL shedding some goodness on everyone around you. You just can't help it.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    This is probably what I love most about the guardian. Even if you focus your efforts entirely on DPS, you're STILL shedding some goodness on everyone around you. You just can't help it.
    Haha that's funny, I mostly think of it the other way around. I focus on support and then I can still do acceptable damage without really trying too hard. guardians might be OP >__>

I dunno about OP but I commonly see guardians just standing there whacking mobs and the guardians health doesn't go down. While on my warrior, I'm going to come out with at least a little health off even with dodging and staying mobile.

But, I've seen Eles and thieves do that too...

Guardians have like 15 "oh ****!" buttons. All those support skills work just as well on themselves as on a group. For what it's worth, I played the 3 primarily melee classes to 80 (or 78 or something on my warrior) and I found the guardian to be the easiest in the end-game.

Edit: I was just thinking about it, my guardian is still wearing several pieces of like, level 65 masterwork armor and she does EM dungeons and is very at home in Orr fighting the dense mobs. My thief is in full exotic armor with 4 exotic weapons equipped and the guardian is still easier. That says something!
    Last edited by Fluffball; 23-11-2012 at 13:31.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

I generally notice a difference between my guardian and my thief, but that said, their spec is pretty much at complete opposite ends of the spectrum (lol get it? specs in the spectrum. I know, I'm not funny >___>). My guardian wears full cleric and is all supporty and generally sturdy, and my thief is a total glass cannon. So I can seldom compare their performance. My thief just dies more often, it's part of the whole glass cannon thing.