PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Would you say that you notice a difference in regular play though, Alaris?

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    If I choose to play more defense/support, yes I can still attack and do damage (and I most certainly will) but again I won't be tagging as many foes as my more dps-centered allies despite that we both contribute to the fight.

I'm not a farmer so it's a minor issue for me if I get a bit less income when I play the way I want to. But I should not have to make that choice in the first place.
    But are we talking individual loot drops or overall event credit? You may tag fewer monsters, but you are probably still tagging enough to get gold credit for the event. So event credit is not really affected by these choices except for guardians following the pattern of doing nothing but bubbles and rezzes.

How would you fix the problem of fewer monsters tagged for individual loot so there's no choice to be made? This isn't unique to the guardian, though guardians may face the choice a bit more often. An ele casting a Geyser or Healing Rain isn't tagging any monsters, either. Nor is any warrior who stops to plant or move a banner, or an engineer who pops a medkit and starts throwing out bandages. So any fix for the problem would have to cover anyone of any profession who elects to use a skill that benefits others without doing damage to foes. But I don't see a solution other than monsters acting as if they were tagged if someone uses a pure-support skill in their vicinity. Which sounds pretty silly to me.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Would you say that you notice a difference in regular play though, Alaris?
    I'm not too concerned with loot, I prefer to have fun.

Even then, I probably would play more defensive at times especially in WvW if I knew I could get credits for kills.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    But are we talking individual loot drops or overall event credit? (...) How would you fix the problem of fewer monsters tagged for individual loot so there's no choice to be made?
    It's a general problem playing support, I agree. I have the same dilemma with my engineer.

I'm talking about individual loot and in WvW, credit for kills. Event credit is easy to get even playing support.

I would fix it by adding participation for kills if you actually manage to heal allies or protect them, and tweak the amount of heal/prot needed until you can get a roughly equal participation. And I would put a limit to how much you can do this without doing damage, you still need to do some damage... but if you heal you need to do less damage to get your threshold.

Something like that.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    I would fix it by adding participation for kills if you actually manage to heal allies or protect them, and tweak the amount of heal/prot needed until you can get a roughly equal participation. And I would put a limit to how much you can do this without doing damage, you still need to do some damage... but if you heal you need to do less damage to get your threshold.
    An interesting thought! However, doesn't it open up a real can of worms? If Player A gets credit for throwing a heal on another player, shouldn't Player B get credit for throwing on a buff that increases that player's damage? Player B is damaging the monster indirectly, contributing to the kill. What about an ele who spends a considerable amount of time placing fields that others are using to kill the baddies faster?

It seems like it would be an accounting nightmare to sort out who placed what fields, triggered what buff on how many others, etc. Shouts, banners, traits like Evasive Arcana, pet squawks (does the ranger get credit?), virtues, and so forth. Then, if you can figure out all of that, you have to figure out which monsters get marked as tagged by that player despite his not having done any direct damage to them.

I'm talking about individual loot and in WvW, credit for kills.
    WvW seems to hand out kills pretty liberally. I have over a thousand kill credits and that doesn't sound right to me at ALL. I'd guess I've outright killed like 200 other players.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    It seems like it would be an accounting nightmare to sort out (...)
    Well, all of that should be included, otherwise people who care about credits will mainly do direct damage, and everyone else will get less contribution for their teamplay efforts. I was given the impression that this was a coop game, we should be rewarded as such.

They already have code to count credits, they need to extend it to support (heals, prots, and yes, damage buffs, control, etc). Once they keep track of all that, it's a rather simple task of doing some stats, figure out some combination rules and thresholds that make sense, and implement that.

Linear weighted sum is super fast, robust, and easy to implement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    WvW seems to hand out kills pretty liberally. I have over a thousand kill credits and that doesn't sound right to me at ALL. I'd guess I've outright killed like 200 other players.
    I find that throwing grenades in opposing parties nets me some kills. If you use AoE's a lot, then you're probably getting kill credits because of it. Remember, it's whether you contributed, not whether you finished the foe, that is important.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Remember, it's whether you contributed, not whether you finished the foe, that is important.
    Ya that's my point. You don't have to do much of anything to get credit in WvW. For example, today I autoattacked a single time and got gold credit for an event.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    today I autoattacked a single time and got gold credit for an event.
    I find that hard to believe.

Really? Details.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I guess I got the impression that maybe some support guardians were getting greens while everyone else was getting rares or exotics. I mean, if they're not actually doing anything but ressing people I can understand they don't get anything. But suppose I'm only using support spells and yells and virtues and consecrations and stuff, without direct damage to the boss or whatever. Do I get the same rewards as everyone who's beating the boss while getting buffed by me?
    I usually only get greens (if I'm lucky) while I see everybody around me spamming rares and exotics they have gotten as reward. And I'm on my ranger, who is 100% geared towards damage. So that has nothing to do with it.

But what is a problem is that if you are more geared towards buffing your allies and do do enough direct damage, you will get less loot. And I do believe that that is wrong. I'd say damage is damage, no matter if I do it personally or if I buff others so they'll do more damage.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

I find that hard to believe.

Really? Details.
    It was a quaggan attack that ran in to our keep siege. I hit one of them a single time before they were all dead. Gold credit. It's not rare though, this happens all the time on all sorts of events. On capture point events you get gold if you dive roll in to the capture point at the very last second before it's claimed, even if you never fought anything at all.

It makes sense though, if you didn't get credit for doing almost nothing, no one would ever get credit for anything because there are so many players on each event/kill.