GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]

What do people use in WvW and PvP

I haven't seen a lot of builds posted except for the occasional video, and I am getting owned in WvW (and haven't had time to invest in sPvP either). So.... please teach me. Not just builds, but also gameplay.

I'm sure this will be useful to others as well.

Let's get some PvP conversation going!!
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Just WvW, no sPvP

I am running the same D/D build as in PvE. Yes, double daggers, because when I was using a staff for safety reasons, I could not contributes enough damage to get a kill count and was always too late to stomp a downed foe because of the range I was fighting at.
    D/D lets me have some speed buffs, skills to dash to an enemy and all kind s of utility. I use my Glyph of storms at choke points (area blindness or chill can be really useful) and have my elementals up as support (both when I am fighting one on one or in a zerg).

The downside? You have to anticipate the tide of the battle to survive, because once longbow Rangers have singled you out (or Thieves), you are dead meat. Move in fast and get out fast.
    I probably have to repair a little more often, but two slain Dolyaks make up for the loss of coin.
    Last edited by Gorani; 23-10-2012 at 23:07.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

A lot of the ownage is probably coming from people get true level 80s and then runing up in ways that compliment their builds. My guardian was wrecking hordes of level 20s or 30 or whatever they were not long after launch. There is a huge difference. She can't do that as much anymore, although I might intentionally make a detour if I see a down-arrow.

I've moved on to my thief as my main PvP character, both in sPvP and WvW. In terms of movement, nothing comes even close. Like not at all. I know you don't have one Alaris so that may not be of use. I think movement is of of the biggest advantages to both types of PvP. It's awfully hard to kill something if you can't catch it, ergo it's awfully hard for a thief to lose an encounter. That includes both speed as well as the obvious ability to simply vanish.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    I think movement is of of the biggest advantages to both types of PvP. It's awfully hard to kill something if you can't catch it, ergo it's awfully hard for a thief to lose an encounter. That includes both speed as well as the obvious ability to simply vanish.
    That's why Thieves are so freakishly OP in WvW.
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    It's my staff ele that goes into WvW the most. She's my only true-80 and have so much fun in there simply burning all the things.

Air gives nice speed boosts to myself / my party especially when you get wrapped up in a small zerg going from one place to another and earth has a few "get out of jail" skills that have saved my backside on more than one occasion. Water is great for when an enemy sneaks out of a keep by the door and thinks they can cause some havoc, then get back to safety. NOPE. you get a bunch of chill on your head, then air has a nice knockback. You're staying put, you silly goose.

>_>

I may take my mes in there when I get higher levels, but for now, my ele is fitting my playstyle best. Highly mobile, tags all the things and most importantly, annoys everyone with mass OP burning. mmm. burning.
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    But Fae, haven't you got a problem with your kill count? That was the reason why I switched to daggers in WvW too.
    Are you going straight into the fight and not using the range? I would really like to know how you do it.
    (Of course you could do it for fun and not mind the kills at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    That's why Thieves are so freakishly OP in WvW.
    I hope and think they won't get nerfed though. They can out skirmish all the other classes easily, but the downside is they are not that great in a zerg. Shortbow skills are decent, but the range is not. I usually wind up trying to flank the enemy zerg, rather than getting asploded messing around with a shortbow.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    They're not too bad if you stock up on stealth skills and try to hang back and help people pick off stragglers. Cluster bomb has a 1200 range for harassing groups, and dancing dagger is really good for pushes. If you get focused, pop a stealth and gtfo.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    But Fae, haven't you got a problem with your kill count? That was the reason why I switched to daggers in WvW too.
    Are you going straight into the fight and not using the range? I would really like to know how you do it.
    (Of course you could do it for fun and not mind the kills at all)
    Use the range to test out the foe and to wait a few moments to see if there's any invisible foes lurking so wait for them to come to focus, then just burn everything to the ground. Kill count has been fine from where I'm sitting, but if the thing dies, then that's a win, if I get credit, bonus. I'm focusing on stacking burning on as many things as possible across a wide AoE. I don't watch my kill count all that much really, too busy annoying things in my way :3

I don't stay at max range, somewhere in the middle to be focused enough, but just far enough to run away if things look at me funny.
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Guild

MVOP
    I am, overall (cauldron jumping puzzle aside), really enjoying the event.
    I haven't paid any extra money, and I'm having good fun.
    I am happy