PC Gaming News

Thread: Salvaging ectos

Hybrid View

Salvaging ectos

Does anyone have much experience salvaging these? It seems like it would be more cost efficient to merch the items they salvage from and use the money to buy them on the TP, right? Obviously TPing level 80 exotics is more cost efficient, but the wiki says they can drop from fine items level 68 or higher.

You'll have a more constant rate of return if you TP your rare items. Sell the golds, buy the ecto.
    You'll have the chance of a better rate of return if you salvage the items. Most golds go for roughly the price of an ecto and then some for the mats/rune/insignia. Salvaging can get you up to 3 (rare) or 5 (exotic) ecto, but you can get 0 as well. In general you'll get 0-1 ecto from salvaging with the odd 2 and rare 3 ectos returned.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I never really thought about selling the rares and buying the ectos... I just kind of thought "Well, salvaging for ectos is what you do with a rare you don't need."
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Yeah, if I get a gold, I'll see how much it goes for on the TP, if it's less than an ecto, I'll salvage it with a Black lion kit (I have a buttload of them from opening chests at halloween). If I salvage 5 high-level rares at a time, I'll almost always get 5 or more ectos. Plus a couple of regular materials and usually a rune/sigil/whatever. So I still have something to sell AND an ecto to bank.
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fae View Post
    Yeah, if I get a gold, I'll see how much it goes for on the TP, if it's less than an ecto, I'll salvage it with a Black lion kit (I have a buttload of them from opening chests at halloween). If I salvage 5 high-level rares at a time, I'll almost always get 5 or more ectos. Plus a couple of regular materials and usually a rune/sigil/whatever. So I still have something to sell AND an ecto to bank.
    Yes, that's what I do as well. Check the price of ectos, check the price of the rare (exotics I've only had twice so far, once for finishing Frostgorge and from that chest after killing that ancient karka and those were only lvl60), and if the rare is worth less than the ecto and above lvl76, I'll salvage it. And maybe I get lucky and get an ecto, or I get unlucky and only get the inscription/insignia/sigil/whetever they're called.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

I've starting using that as a rule of thumb as well. Some of the <80 equipment sells for a shocking amount. I had a pair of level 76 exotic gloves go for almost a gold on the TP. Seems weird because in 4 more levels you'd get practically free karma gear if you wanted it. Whatevs.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Gunnar's Hold
    Guild

[LLS] [OX] [GRIF]
    Some of the high pricing on lower level exotics is due to the rune/sigil in the item. Some of the superior runes and sigils go for a fair buck or two, a guildie of mine got a seventy-something exotic with a superior rune of divinity in it a few days ago, the thing was worth over 5g. Given that he was lvl77 and had about 2g total to his name, he was rather pleased with that.

Best thing I had recently was a lvl 40 rare, which dropped for my lvl48 ele - it was a set of heavy armour legs, which sold for 30 odd silver.

I do the whole check prices and salvage if less than an ecto price thing too. Given that the prices on ectos has risen so much, most lvl70+ rares I find are worth less than the price of an ecto these days. It is getting a bit sickening, I was trying to save up enough to craft a set of exotics, and while I now have the money I would have needed a couple of weeks ago, the price of everything means that I still am short by about 50%, same as I was a couple of weeks ago.