PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guesting

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]

Guesting

Have we heard anything on this of late?

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Nope.

I want this :(

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Which leads me to believe we won't see it for a long, long time and ANet did actually break a promise there. Yes, it does matter on which server you and your friends are. No, you can't easily play with your friends if you're not on the same server.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Free transfers...?

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Good point Shawn. Transfers are fast and free. I think it took about 10 seconds for the entire process for me yesterday when I went from Blackgate to Aurora Glade.

Which is rather impressive considering that the first is an America server and the other is an EU server.

However I can see why people would be apprehensive about transferring just for one game session with a friend... - and as much as I'd love for all my friends to be on the same server always, that's sadly impossible at the moment.

Guesting would be nice. Or an international server that everyone could guest maybe...

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Free transfers...?
    No, that's not an option.

1) Servers can be full. Maybe I can't go back to my own server after playing with friend X who is on server X (or server X is full...)
    2) Free transfers are on a 24-hour cooldown. So, today I want to play with my friend X on server X, but he leaves after an hour. After that I want to play with with Y on server Y, but no, I can't do that today, I must wait 24 hours (and hope that the server isn't full...)
    3) Guild. Which is also server (but not server) bound.
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    I'd rather have ANet make sure guesting works great when it goes live rather than not.

I think once guesting goes life, the end-game will become very active -- more people doing dungeons, farming, DE's together, etc.

The reason I do not transfer worlds (I did initially to join my guild) is because I would rather have my influence go in building up my Guild from 2005 (we are not big at all).

What better way for me to earn reputation for my guild than going through the game for the first few times -- reason I left Tarnished Coast to join their server because I was in a guild, but one person as far as influence and getting guild upgrades.

Game is fun, and I have no problems farming until guesting comes out; but it will certainly be great when it does so I can grab friends across servers to get some dungeons done. Yes there are pugs, but friends are better -- so I'll wait.
    Last edited by Смерть; 04-10-2012 at 10:19.

Moderator Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb View Post
    I'd rather have ANet make sure guesting works great when it goes live rather than not.
    Yes, I can understand that, and I do feel the same. However. A status update would be nice, considering it's a key selling point of GW2.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    No, that's not an option.

1) Servers can be full. Maybe I can't go back to my own server after playing with friend X who is on server X (or server X is full...)
    2) Free transfers are on a 24-hour cooldown. So, today I want to play with my friend X on server X, but he leaves after an hour. After that I want to play with with Y on server Y, but no, I can't do that today, I must wait 24 hours (and hope that the server isn't full...)
    3) Guild. Which is also server (but not server) bound.
    Actually, by definition, you can't say free transfers are not an option. You can say it's not an option you prefer, but that certainly doesn't make it any less of a choice. It's there, you can plan ahead and use it, or don't.

-Servers are rarely full at all hours. Note when your server's downtime is and transfer back then, such as at the end of the night or in the morning.
    -If your friend is going to leave after an hour then get them to transfer to your server instead of you going there. Then they can transfer back when they go to play the day after, and won't have missed out on anything as they'd only be on a short time anyway.
    -Do you really need access to all your guild perks for a pve romp with friends? Chat would still work as normal, you wouldn't miss out on any juicy gossip. And as far as we know, all the guild perks may not work while guesting anyway.

I almost "mother-of-two'ed" this thread, but in a moment of weakness figured I'd try to be helpful instead. What a concept.
    Last edited by shawn; 04-10-2012 at 12:11.
    Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA] :: The Order of Dii [Dii]