PC Gaming News

Thread: Dye Weapons

Hybrid View

Dye Weapons

Pretty much describes it all.

I think it would be nice to be able to use those dye drops and apply it to an item, say in the Mystic forge... use some other item to fill out the recipe and at least not get the same Greatsword everyone is using, because mine is dyed hot orange

I think it would help out looking unique when everyone has an exotic generic staff or greatsword or hammer. Heck, maybe even in the crafting options, since most are just 3 items, throw one of the dyes in there to produce a color.

Would maybe eat up more dyes on the TP.

What does everyone think?

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Quite honestly, I didn't even realize you couldn't dye weapons in GW2.

I think it would be nice, but I have to say it wouldn't even make my top 20 list of things I'd like to see in the game.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Why change the dye system at all? Just allow us to dye the weapon like we do with armor parts.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post

I think it would be nice, but I have to say it wouldn't even make my top 20 list of things I'd like to see in the game.
    It took me 4 years to realize you could dye them in GW1... I never did...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Why change the dye system at all? Just allow us to dye the weapon like we do with armor parts.
    Indeed. We can show the weapons on the preview window, I never understood why the dye screen didn't have that option...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post

Sure it's not anywhere as a top priority, but for something to add down the road... I think a team can fix things and introduce new stuff. They already are in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    "If it's so easy, why haven't they already?" ...was my thinking... I wouldn't want to change up the way the dye works either and having it just like armor is better.

But if they wanted to eat up some of the extra dye that's in the TP going for next to nothing (over 100 <1s), this would be a way to do so.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I assume the reason they didn't do it yet is because it's hard to implement a dye system on items... it requires more artwork to identify what parts dye how. So they probably decided it was too much work to do that on weapons too and hoped people wouldn't ask for it. There's also the extra memory space taken up for remembering colors, which might be problematic because weapons already have to remember their stats. The space increase is not the problem, but rather how all the databases would need to be updated to contain and deal with that extra info.

The UI is the trivial part here.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

A part of me thinks it was done to keep weapon skins unique. So they can have two entirely different weapons using the same skin, but colour them differently to distinguish them as separate 'looks'.
    We could dye them in GW1, couldn't we? I remember we could. Don't know why it's changed.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

You could dye some.

Why change? I would guess they are prioritizing all the things they want to do and all the things they have to fix and this just hasn't come up yet/couldn't be included in shipped game.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Of the weapons that you could dye in GW1, I found the results to be almost universally horrid and the response to any particular dye to be highly unpredictable. It may be a blessing that we don't have to look at such abominations in GW2.