PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT

Targetting yellow enemies - is there an easy way to do it?

I must be doing something wrong - how the .... are you supposed to target a yellow entity you need to attack?
    Target closest enemy doesn't work. Clicking is not only inefficient, but also useless if your intended target is close to a clickable structure, half the time I click on the structure beause the targets name is constantly moving.

So what am I missing? There MUST be something I'm not seeing, no way they would actually want it to so horrible.

In case you're wondering, I'm referring specifically to the event in Queensdale with the bears and the beehives. Hungry Bears and Beehives both are clickable, but you can't attack the beehives.
    Although I have been annoyed by that on other occassions as well.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Usually, if I don't have anything targeted, I just point my camera towards my intended target and fire up a skill, the game will "auto-target" the enemy that my character is pointing towards.

Ground targeted attacks work well too, and with most melee attacks you just need to run up to something and start attacking, no need to target. So it's really just single-target ranged skills that can be problematic. And even then, like I said above, the game usually takes care of it automagically. And if it doesn't, I'm pretty sure tab-targeting works on yellows.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I know I like to autotarget whites while running around, to see if any of them count towards kill variety. I noticed that if you aim properly, the foe highlights, and then you know the autoattack will hit. Maybe that works on yellows too.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by The King of Dust View Post
    Usually, if I don't have anything targeted, I just point my camera towards my intended target and fire up a skill, the game will "auto-target" the enemy that my character is pointing towards.
    That seems to always attack enemies I don't want to aggro.
    I'll try it again, though.

And if it doesn't, I'm pretty sure tab-targeting works on yellows.
    Could be, I have to try. I'm afraid there'll be too many targets too close together to be useful, though.
    There are at least half a dozen potential targets and I want to select a specific one in a split second...

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    Target closest enemy doesn't work
    On the contrary, it works fine. Often to my annoyance, as I target closest and it turns out to be a moa rather than the Risen that's trying to eat off my face from a distance (yay, now two things are trying to chew on my face).

However if you don't have line of sight, targeting nearest will not pick up your target, no matter whether it's a neutral or hostile beastie.

Given the scenario that you're talking about, it sounds like a LoS issue more than targeting. The bears are behind the hives, so you need to target them while you still have LoS (while they're running up to the hive) or move off to the side to target them.

Achievements:
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    On the contrary, it works fine. Often to my annoyance, as I target closest and it turns out to be a moa rather than the Risen that's trying to eat off my face from a distance (yay, now two things are trying to chew on my face).
    You're right, I mixed that up. I was close to biting through my keyboard at the time...

However if you don't have line of sight, targeting nearest will not pick up your target, no matter whether it's a neutral or hostile beastie.
    I see.

Given the scenario that you're talking about, it sounds like a LoS issue more than targeting. The bears are behind the hives, so you need to target them while you still have LoS (while they're running up to the hive) or move off to the side to target them.
    Makes sense, and I'm trying to, but since there isn't really much time to do anything, I try to just click on them.
    If I start running to and fro, I'm losing too much time.

That whole line-of-sight issue makes me wonder even more why the targetting system is the way it is.
    Am I the only person who just can't get friendly with it?

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    No, I have lots of problems with the LoS targeting too. Especially when I'm trying to target a hostile thing, and end up targeting some neutral thing that's further away.

Usually (depending on class) I can drop an AoE right by what I'm trying to target and get its attention that way.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Even worse is when the LoS system causes you to lose your target when you're downed and you have a limited amount of time to find and re-acquire it so you can rally. So many times I've ended up down and shooting at some critter at full health because the one I could take out with another shot or two is now somewhere off to the side or behind me and I can't look around and find it fast enough.

Achievements:
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by The King of Dust View Post
    And if it doesn't, I'm pretty sure tab-targeting works on yellows.
    Someone correct me if wrong, but based upon what I just experienced, I would say that tab-targetting yellows works as long as you don't have any RED enemy.

Hungry Bears again - I just accidently targetted and attacked a yellow Doe, which became red. I tried to target the bear next to me, but it didn't work.
    Closest enemy didn't work because he was on my side - and the character has no peripheral vision I guess.
    However, tab-targetting didn't work either! Maybe you can only tab-target yellows (I tried afterwards, it works) when you don't have any reds close by?

(Which makes me wonder even more why the bears aren't red.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    Someone correct me if wrong, but based upon what I just experienced, I would say that tab-targetting yellows works as long as you don't have any RED enemy.

Hungry Bears again - I just accidently targetted and attacked a yellow Doe, which became red. I tried to target the bear next to me, but it didn't work.
    Closest enemy didn't work because he was on my side - and the character has no peripheral vision I guess.
    However, tab-targetting didn't work either! Maybe you can only tab-target yellows (I tried afterwards, it works) when you don't have any reds close by?

(Which makes me wonder even more why the bears aren't red.)
    My only guess is because the bears run a distance away, they didn't want them to have the Red enemy AI till attacked because they would run into players further away from the DE.

What they should have done was made them Invun like they do with other enemies till they get there.