Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I just use mithrill ones, they're pretty cheap to use on anything. Plus I have a metric ton of them from the donations to Lionguard Lyns. I usually don't get my full kill variety in WvW as I don't want to sword-up, but will kill the harmless one-shot fluff, then finish off outside LA just before I log off.

But WvW is definitely great for the events, gathering and total kill count!
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I use ori on everything. I'm dumb like that.

As for kill variety, if you kill some foes of all colors (no discrimination), some reds, whites, yellows, kill variety is easy to get in WvW.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I use ori on everything. I'm dumb like that.
    ANet appreciates your voluntary extra contribution to the gold sink, and I'm sure they'll reward you for it one day.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    I use mithril for everything, but characters that will be in high level areas carry a spare set of orichalcum tools. This doesn't always work out -- I've forgotten to bring tools along, and I've forgotten to swap to the ori. Which isn't bad if you notice quickly, but I rarely pay attention to what I'm picking up as I gather. In one case I got back to an outpost and found that I had 30+ ruined ore and wood. Each. Or, of course, I forget to switch back to mithril and use orichalcum tools for mining things like copper.

I do still like the suggestion someone had on the official forum. Make tools that have a huge number of uses. Say, 4000. Then the high level nodes deplete a bunch of uses and low level nodes only deplete a few. So using a mining pick on an orichalcum node would count for 40 uses of the tool, but using the same pick on copper would only deplete it by 2 or so. Probably not likely to happen, but I thought it was a neat idea.

Anyway. For the Wintersday, I've been playing with temporary characters a lot. Make a human commoner (class unimportant), level to 6 or 7, then do personal story through level 10 to get a Black Lion key. Delete, lather, rinse, repeat. Then at least once a day I'll go do the Tixx dungeon (still undecided on which mini I'll make, though I want to set fire to the princess doll frame). Do daily achievements on my ranger -- last permanent character that's not 80 yet, and generally run around doing a lot of nothing important, like picking up presents in Queendsale or Metrica Province.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I keep using ori to gather, and I also get extra mats, gets, and sometimes even unid dyes.

I think ANet already implemented a system where you get more regular and rare drops from gathering nodes when you use higher-quality tools than you really need. I don't know if it's been confirmed by ANet or by data though...
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about