PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

What do you think Anet's plan is for 90% of the unused game?

For example, "the 2 other Orr zones" are often brought up as places with very little incentive to be in (as opposed to the Cursed Shore where there are high level mats, good drops and plentiful players pushing events).

Around mid-level zones, tons of group events and major map event chains lie pathetically abandoned like a college student's teddy bears. So much content is effectively wasted. It will get worse and worse the more content they add and the more people finish with alts and mapping and move to WvW, PvP and fractals/dungeons full time.

I refuse to believe Anet didn't know this would happen to almost every zone in the game. Do you think they have a plan, or is everything fine as is, and no one will ever hold the Temple of Dwayna ever again?

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    They did help some with upping drops a little more broadly for level 80s, but yeah. I have no interest in replaying 90% of the map myself, unless there are new DE storylines, etc. -- what I thought ANet was going to do; perhaps have on the table down the road a bit to do; will see.

Replaying previous material for sub-par drops, not my idea of fun; thank you for dungeons and fractals.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    They should do mass invasions if an area is left for too long. If you leave the Skritt alone for too long they attack farmers and take all the food in the area. If you leave the harpies alone for too long they take over the whole map. etc.

The problems with those areas arise because of bad game design.
    Firstly, the density of the mobs. When my first character reached Orr, the very first reaction was:" How am I going to get through the mobs to reach that point in the horizon." Every game square is littered with undeads, dodging one means smacking into the others until you over-agro and died.
    Next, the respawn rate. You kill one, two, three undeads, take a breather to ease your numb fingers from pounding the keyboard and those you had just killed literally reappeared with a puff of smoke right beside you, meaning a hasty retreat back to square one.
    Thirdly, the overpowered undeads. A simple kick from one of them deals more damage than any of my best skill.
    So to get anywhere in those areas, you either find a group ( a rare thing there with the way things are), or take a running skill, which was what I did. But that was just enough to get from Point A to Point B, not exploration. Even with a running skill, you would frequently got snared, knocked down, crippled, etc. So a simple run could, in short, turn into a suicide run if you are not familiar with the area.
    By the time my ele , Mesmer and warrior followed the ranger there, I had given up on those areas and my only goal was to reach the Cursed Shores. My thief ( level 36 now ) will be there in about 2 weeks, and I will do the same.

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

Quote Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
    They should do mass invasions if an area is left for too long. If you leave the Skritt alone for too long they attack farmers and take all the food in the area. If you leave the harpies alone for too long they take over the whole map. etc.
    This is how I imagined the "changing" of the world to be.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb View Post
    They did help some with upping drops a little more broadly for level 80s, but yeah. I have no interest in replaying 90% of the map myself, unless there are new DE storylines, etc. -- what I thought ANet was going to do; perhaps have on the table down the road a bit to do; will see.
    In that case, those few areas where there are still people you wouldn't go to either, as you'll have done all DE's there too. And about the sub-par drops, my first and only (so far) ever lvl80 rare (never found an exotic yet) came from Fields of Ruins... And the rare before that (lvl78) came from Plains of Ashford...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

Yeah I get bored of those too, but they there are some that are close enough together to make a nice round.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    The problems with those areas arise because of bad game design.
    Firstly, the density of the mobs. When my first character reached Orr, the very first reaction was:" How am I going to get through the mobs to reach that point in the horizon." Every game square is littered with undeads, dodging one means smacking into the others until you over-agro and died.
    Next, the respawn rate. You kill one, two, three undeads, take a breather to ease your numb fingers from pounding the keyboard and those you had just killed literally reappeared with a puff of smoke right beside you, meaning a hasty retreat back to square one.
    Thirdly, the overpowered undeads. A simple kick from one of them deals more damage than any of my best skill.
    So to get anywhere in those areas, you either find a group ( a rare thing there with the way things are), or take a running skill, which was what I did. But that was just enough to get from Point A to Point B, not exploration. Even with a running skill, you would frequently got snared, knocked down, crippled, etc. So a simple run could, in short, turn into a suicide run if you are not familiar with the area.
    By the time my ele , Mesmer and warrior followed the ranger there, I had given up on those areas and my only goal was to reach the Cursed Shores. My thief ( level 36 now ) will be there in about 2 weeks, and I will do the same.
    Have to admit, I do agree. It's impossible to move around Orr normally. I get it's supposed to be a high level zone and thus harder, but I feel ArenaNet upped the difficulty here in the same way they upped it for GW1's HM - they just increased numbers of enemies, and gave those enemies higher stats. It's not difficult to kill the Orrians, but damn, it is dull! The respawn rate means you can't just power through them, and you just never really get a chance to just look around and explore and just get a feel for the zone.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    Have to admit, I do agree. It's impossible to move around Orr normally. I get it's supposed to be a high level zone and thus harder, but I feel ArenaNet upped the difficulty here in the same way they upped it for GW1's HM - they just increased numbers of enemies, and gave those enemies higher stats.
    And they forgot that HM is an option in GW1, while moving around Orr isn't in GW2... Unless they think that moving around in a lvl80 area with a lvl80 character is optional?
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Wait, what, where are the "I play for fun and with my low-level friends thanks to awesome downscaling" posts?

To me it seems natural that the population shifts to new content and/or the one with the best rewards. From this point of view, the maps don't hold replay value past map completion. Nevertheless, I would consider it a bit early to "overhaul" maps to better suit the needs of people with full map/story completion; wouldn't this sort of take away content of an initial "play-through"?

I don't think that this should be on Anet's priority list, but it might be something to welcome in the far future.

On the Orr maps:
    Smartly using the terrain, a speedboost and/or condition removal will get you far enough to map complete even on your own. I wouldn't call these areas difficult, but they can be quite annoying and dull (same few risen mobs all the time).

At this point, a map feels attractive to me when it's well suited to complete the daily, Orr doesn't qualify due to the almost non-existent mob variety, the rest would be fine (as in, same as any other map).