PC Gaming News
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Guild

MVOP
    Just spent 2 very frustrating hours being the only player in Metrica province.
    Having 80'd & completed the personal story on my Minstrel, I've begun on an Ele.
    Everyone has ditched the game, & many parts are practically impossible now, & I'm beginning to genuinely hate it.
    GW1 never had this problem, hell TSW doesn't have this problem.

Anet took a game that was original & different & turned it into an any-other-mmo.
    The skrit are just kobolds
    The asura are gnomes
    The whole thing is ctrl-c ctrl-v banal identikit, every fantasy trope cliche @:?!!!
    Grrrrrr

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Ouch. I just did map completion on Metrica with my ele a couple of days ago and found it passably populated except in some areas. Caledon Forest was about as populated when he mapped it before Metrica. He's running across a few people in Brisbane Wildlands, too, which he's mapping right now. Starter areas seem more likely to have people roaming around than mid-level areas.

I've also been noticing more players doing events around Ft. Trinity the last few days and trying to get people to come to the Balthazar event chain. It still isn't like the days when Lone Post had a permanent population, but there is a definite surge at the moment.

I'm sure the activity levels are very server-dependent, though. Isle of Janthir for me.

It's what he calls mesmers

10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    It's not that the events are impossible, it's that eles suck horrifically until almost level 30.
    I have to disagree. Not about the general suckiness of low-level eles, but about the impossibility. There are events and champs in every zone that just cannot be soloed by the great majority of the player base regardless of profession or level. Some other content becomes too risky to be worth the effort. Life is good when there are enough people around to let you do any content you choose, but there is no fallback position when there aren't enough. At least in GW1 you could never be excluded from any non-elite content you wanted to do simply by the unavailability of other players at a particular time.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Guild

MVOP
    That's my point.
    It's the games bad design that is the problem.
    Bad design that didn't exist in GW1, was introduced along with lorry loads of other bad design decisions in GW2.

I was finishing up my map completion in Diessa Plateau the yesterday when I found the giant had taken over that town. Being a well equipped level 80 in a low level zone, him being the only hostile, non-ghost, non-undead giant I know of in the game, and my giant slayer title still sitting at zero, I headed in. I spent several minutes raising about 30 charr NPCs. With my army ready, I summoned a couple thieves and charged. Everyone died in seconds. I managed to barely escape without breaking any armor.

It's sort of ironic that if there had been a zerg there I still wouldn't have progressed my slayer title. I've killed him several times before, and I don't think anyone gets credit for tagging him because his health is so high and so many people spread the damage out. Sort of like the champion karkas during the LS event.

Anywho... I ramble.

Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Bring back Zaishen quests! The content is already there, just give people an incentive to go and visit certain zones to deal with certain types of enemies/events. Just add a random component to the Daily Achievement, I guess - or something like that. (perhaps weekly?)

Lack of people present has only been a problem for me when I've been balls-deep in Cursed Shore, and I just do something stupid. There always seems to be at least one other person around in non-Orr areas to help me out a bit.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    There are events and champs in every zone that just cannot be soloed by the great majority of the player base regardless of profession or level. Some other content becomes too risky to be worth the effort.
    In Metrica Province?

There are two resident champions. One is a spider tucked into a cave east of Muridian Waypoint. One is a troll behind the Luminates Plant. I would be willing to bet that the majority of the players that complete the zone have no idea that these two champions even exist. They're not in any way necessary for map completion.

There are three event champions. The giant ooze in Bleent's camp, and an Inquest golem at the Survivor's Encampment waypoint. These might be blocking progress for map completion, but what they would be blocking would be a point of interest or a waypoint, respectively. Perfectly possible to run in and tag whichever, then run away. I've done this with a champion ogre in Diessa (as well as several other places). And of course there's the fire elemental in the reactor, but there's nothing there needed for map completion.

The vast majority of the zone is perfectly soloable, and the parts that aren't are not incredibly frequent. I'd hardly call that a bad design.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Problems I see with a majority of maps:

>> Too many people at Orr maps because of the fine materials there + exotic and rare item drops.
    Solution: Mid-level maps should at least include some chances to get rare items tied to the level, e.g. at champions and from jumping puzzle chests.

>> Supply carts should drop supplies everywhere, not just in a few isolated areas
    Solution: This could revitalize Heart areas, which often include "destroy a camp" orders and make you destroy stationary objects, like supply carts. Only the centaur ones in Gendarra (AFAIK) drop food that usually drops from loot bags. Why not having that small extra loot to lure some people there.

>> Mid level areas are too "far away" for an easy walk - way point costs make people not do that
    Solution: Add the ability to travel via "Orders/Pact" Asura gates once you are done with certain steps of the story (e.g. being able to use all HQs once you are Commander and moved to Malchor's Leap) and add one or two more Asura gates to an off-area (like Ebonhawke from Divinity's reach).
    As silly as a few silver sound, people (including me) will not travel to e.g. Fireheart Rise for a daily, if they can just step outside LA to Gendarran Fields.
    Last edited by Gorani; 08-12-2012 at 18:03.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    *takes off fanboy glasses*

There were design problems in GW1 as well, just not the lack of player (aside for some rare elite areas that did require players, and don't forget FA/JQ/AB).

*puts fanboy glasses back on*

Again, have 2-3 *maps of the day* with higher rewards there would more than fix most of those problems.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about