PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by satenia View Post
    Wait, what, where are the "I play for fun and with my low-level friends thanks to awesome downscaling" posts?
    I'd love to play with my friends. Sadly, ANet won't allow me.

At this point, a map feels attractive to me when it's well suited to complete the daily, Orr doesn't qualify due to the almost non-existent mob variety, the rest would be fine (as in, same as any other map).
    Good point. I love Frostgorge. It is varied, you can never leave and still finish your daily, it looks awesome, there's a nice batch of easy foes and more difficult foes. I can really go there for R&R.
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    I'd love to play with my friends. Sadly, ANet won't allow me.
    Would guesting really help spreading the population across the maps? I'd guess that the behavior is similar across all servers, so unpopular maps remain just like that.

Good point. I love Frostgorge. It is varied, you can never leave and still finish your daily, it looks awesome, there's a nice batch of easy foes and more difficult foes. I can really go there for R&R.
    Yeah it was also Frostgorge that I had in mind Nice variety and still gets some players thanks to meta-event, farming and harvesting. Usually my choice for the daily.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    If I could go play with friends on other servers, I think I would get groups together to 'clear' certain zones - go get all the poi/vistas/skill points, which would be much quicker with a group. If others thought the same way, I guess some areas might see more action from such groups. I dunno.

Seems a shame, because some of the design of structures etc in Orr is pretty cool and I would like to really look into every corner - but going alone takes so long, is boring and doesn't give you the change to just take in the landscape at all.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Would guesting really help spreading the population across the maps? I'd guess that the behavior is similar across all servers, so unpopular maps remain just like that.
    Not so much the spreading, but the grouping, which, apparently ANet finds important, because why else have all those Group DE's and champions? If guesting was in, you could assemble your friends, and not just the ones that may be on your own server, and focus your effort on one map. It's not ideal, but at least it's a start.

The server split was the most stupidest thing ANet has implement in GW2, in my eyes at least. I still cannot see why they couldn't implement a district system for PvE...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Quote Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
    They should do mass invasions if an area is left for too long. If you leave the Skritt alone for too long they attack farmers and take all the food in the area. If you leave the harpies alone for too long they take over the whole map. etc.
    This is actually one of the reasons the other 2 Orr maps DON'T see play. There are no open waypoints, ever, so travel or dying is painful. Retaking them a) is impossible alone and b) lasts a matter of minutes. The O2OMs could be used as an example of what NOT to do.

Even Cursed Shore and Frostgorge may be underpopulated once they open up rest of the map, which looks like it will nearly double the playable areas, with presumably less players as people slowly drop off over the next 7 years. I know I'd like to revisit Southsun Cove once they add the real content. At least Frostgorge only has as far as I know a single event chain that needs a group (Claw). Even the champs in that area I've been able to solo. Cursed Shore is not possible to solo other than mapping and a few minor events.

I like the idea of underflow servers. If you combined all 2 million people in to one potential server (if needed), every map would have events being pushed.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Wait, what, where are the "I play for fun and with my low-level friends thanks to awesome downscaling" posts?
    Well, I have enjoyed plenty of times playing with people of very different levels.

Also, I still plan to go through all zones with at least one character, my already lvl 80 guardian.

What is natural is that people go to the highest reward. Why not then let mobs get richer if they get killed less, so eventually the highest rewards are to be found where nobody is. Or like zaishen, each day pick a different area and give it higher rewards and more DEs.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    If I could go play with friends on other servers, I think I would get groups together to 'clear' certain zones - go get all the poi/vistas/skill points, which would be much quicker with a group. If others thought the same way, I guess some areas might see more action from such groups. I dunno.
    The goal would be map completion though, which is a one-time per character thing. Maybe you'd be tempted to roll another alt due to this, but basically you just delay the effect described by the OP.

Not so much the spreading, but the grouping, which, apparently ANet finds important, because why else have all those Group DE's and champions? If guesting was in, you could assemble your friends, and not just the ones that may be on your own server, and focus your effort on one map. It's not ideal, but at least it's a start.
    Personally I found that when going back to low/mid level areas as a decently equipped lvl 80 character, I can take DE's and even champions on my own. You still keep certain advantages even with downscaling. While this would certainly be more fun to do with friends, I'm still not convinced that you'd go back to low/mid level areas for this, while you could get better overall rewards out of it in a zone closer to your actual level.

It would however solve the problem with some Orr areas described in this thread... in either way, I'm very much looking forward to guesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    What is natural is that people go to the highest reward. Why not then let mobs get richer if they get killed less, so eventually the highest rewards are to be found where nobody is. Or like zaishen, each day pick a different area and give it higher rewards and more DEs.
    While I love the zaishen idea in theory, I do not think that it would work too well. You simply shift the daily Cursed Shore zerg to the zaishen area, turning it into the same farm-fest for a day.

After the Lost Shores weekend, I'd even go as far as saying that I'm totally against focusing popular events on a single map only. You'd have to make the zaishen boosts over several areas, but even then you'd run in danger that over time people figure out the best map to farm it and stick to that.

Mass invasions of Harpies with rifles using battle tactics? ;-)

I have a solution to the problem of not being able to play with your friends.
    What you do is you allow groups of guilds to form 'alliances' & these 'alliances' could communicate in chat...

For under populated areas there could be special npc's, or 'Henchmen' that the player could hire for a share of the loot. Or, even better those npc's could have stories of their own, be 'Heroes' in their own right...

For every problem GW2 has, GW1 has a solution.

As for quiet areas where not much happens, I'd guess most of them will remain empty.

10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i hope they change nothingit's fine the way it is and i really don't want it to change.
    i have plenty of lvl 20 and less characters and i don't want low level places to change because of lvl 80 whiners who think it's never being used.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    What I can't fathom are people who speak of having "done all the DEs" in a zone so they have no reason to go back. I run into DEs I've never seen before even in zones in which I have 100% map completion on another character. I begin to question whether there is one single GW2 player who has actually done ALL the DEs in even one zone, including all those that are triggered by speaking to the right NPC or finding the right object. Even if you could find one player like that, could you really find 100? 1000?

I also have to question whether most players have actually done even most of the prominent DE in the O2OMs, as Fluffball so nicely put it. My first level 80 got to Straits of Devastation when the game was about a month old and there was still a good number of people around. Since then I've usually had at least one character hanging out in Ft. Trinity to do a quick daily farm in the area, and I often finish off my dailies with all the small soloable events there. In all that time I have never once seen anyone doing anything about the bone ship when it appears off of Half Circle Cove, though I've gotten killed a number of times trying to do it alone. Did every other player in the game just happen to get there and do it in less than a month? Or are most people just skipping DEs that they don't think will be profitable enough?

Even back in September people were not doing most of the invasion event chains, but there was a permanent population defending Lone Post. (Even that's gone now, and Lone Post is very lonely indeed.) Am I supposed to believe that only one month into the game, 99% of the players had already done all the DE in that zone and left only some farmers behind? Somehow I don't think so.

There is some other reason why the Priory Explorers will be trapped in the Risen Clams for eternity and that crashed helicopter in the swamp will never get back in the air. Any way I look at it, it's clear that DEs in all zones are not languishing because everyone has already done them. Perhaps many of them are just not appealing to enough players for some reason. Perhaps players just feel too much pressure to move on and don't have the patience to wait around for rarer events, search for the triggers for those under player control, or hang around until they've seen all of a chain. Whatever the reason, I suspect that a majority of DEs in the game have never been done by a majority of the players and the content has been wasted since day one. Which strikes me as a real shame.