GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    People flock to the highest rewards. Move the rewards around, and see people flock all over the place following them.

In case you don't get the analogy, the cats are players, the laser dot is rewards.

== Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i generally avoid big crowds, the analogy fails also because you compare humans with cats.
    cats are in nature curies, humans only do what interest them.

cat's follow everything that stands out, humans are only affected to interest so when the thing that stands out doesn't interest the person it makes the thing that stands out pretty useless.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    i generally avoid big crowds, the analogy fails also because you compare humans with cats.
    cats are in nature curies, humans only do what interest them.

cat's follow everything that stands out, humans are only affected to interest so when the thing that stands out doesn't interest the person it makes the thing that stands out pretty useless.
    wut?

I myself am interested in earning gold. I am also interested in the RPG aspect of the game. I am interested in the later until its source is exhausted, then I turn to gold because it is an endless goal.

I do think moving rewards around to different areas will draw people; but I would hope the RPG aspect would be the initial motivation -- even better if the continuous motivation, but that certainly hasn't happened yet for me.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Gunnar's Hold
    Guild

[LLS] [OX] [GRIF]
    Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb View Post
    wut?
    I think I get what sorudo is trying to say. Bearing in mind that English is not sorudo's primary language.

Translation: Cats have a natural curiosity that is environment driven, and are easily persuaded to follow that curiosity for no obvious reward. Human behaviour is much more governed by self-interest, and thus reward-oriented. If the rewards do not sufficiently interest the human, the human will do something else that is more rewarding.

Note: I'm translating what I read from his post. I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by CMEPTb View Post

I myself am interested in earning gold. I am also interested in the RPG aspect of the game. I am interested in the later until its source is exhausted, then I turn to gold because it is an endless goal.

I do think moving rewards around to different areas will draw people; but I would hope the RPG aspect would be the initial motivation -- even better if the continuous motivation, but that certainly hasn't happened yet for me.
    Yes, a lot of people neglect the whole RPG aspect of MMORPGs. I've been having an enjoyable time following the storylines on several alts, and that means I have been passing through some of the areas I have not spent a lot of time in thus far. Strange that people say they are empty though - even at 4am when I was deliberately trying to do some events solo to test a couple of builds, there are other players that suddenly turn up and start getting involved (not that I'm complaining, though; the more, the merrier). I just don't see these empty maps that people are talking about.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Cats don't realize that the dot is illusory. Once you let them catch it, they learn pretty quickly to ignore it. The reason they chase it is probably because their instinct tells them it might be an insect they might be able to eat.

As for adding rewards to one area creating a mob there, dude, relax. Of course it might, but that's ok because it won't always be in the same place. Plus, if you do that in multiple place, you can adjust the amount of extra reward until the two become equally populated. It's actually easy to manipulate rewards like that, especially if you make scaling scale a bit too harshly, to encourage people taking up different DEs instead of clumping on one.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii (Commander)
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    Have to admit, I do agree. It's impossible to move around Orr normally. I get it's supposed to be a high level zone and thus harder, but I feel ArenaNet upped the difficulty here in the same way they upped it for GW1's HM - they just increased numbers of enemies, and gave those enemies higher stats. It's not difficult to kill the Orrians, but damn, it is dull! The respawn rate means you can't just power through them, and you just never really get a chance to just look around and explore and just get a feel for the zone.
    I agree that Orr sucks. Luckily for me my necro have speed boost 24/7 so she can run though mobs ok. She can also kill maybe 2 or 3 of them at once. But it is obviously a pain for players that runs at normal speed.

It is a general mix of the environment being extremely ugly and boring, and the mobs being extremely ugly and boring, and the lack of humans allies support in most areas, that makes Orr so terrible.

I remember this one event in Malchor's Leap where I have to rescue this Largos girl Aaminah from underwater mobs. There were 3 Quaggan that are supposed to help me. But they died in seconds to risen. I end up just going to the girl myself. But guess what? I can't open the cage without those 3 useless Quaggans. So I had to go back to res them. In the way there are constantly aoe snares from up the mountain (I can't even see them) and sharks with snares, and insane spawn rate risens. I died like 8 times before I got those 3 guys to her. And then we got ambushed. So it was another drag to get all 4 out. I spend more than an hour doing this. During this whole time not a single human came by the help out. T_T

I had been saying for ages that the following are the wrong way to make the game hard.

1) One hit kill
    2) Crazy spawn rate - lots of mobs
    3) mobs with insane stats - overpowered mobs

The right way to make the game hard is:

1) Better AI, almost human like levels.
    2) Better tactics, mobs that thinks, etc.

So what's the catch? Well the wrong way is much easier to program. Just change a few numbers are its good to go. T_T
    Last edited by CHIPS; 06-12-2012 at 20:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
    I just don't see these empty maps that people are talking about.
    Most maps aren't empty, but the group events are often ignored. You can usually rouse about 3 or 7 players for any given event by asking for help. That's not always enough firepower to push events in Orr, and there is no way your progress will be "saved" as the NPCs will be instantly slaughtered when your group disbands. Orr needs a constant stream of players or the map almost instantly plunges into zombieland.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Chips... in your case the problem wasn't so much that it was harder, but that it was too hard for a single human. There's been complaints about the scaling system failing at very low numbers of players.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    What I can't fathom are people who speak of having "done all the DEs" in a zone so they have no reason to go back. I run into DEs I've never seen before even in zones in which I have 100% map completion on another character. I begin to question whether there is one single GW2 player who has actually done ALL the DEs in even one zone, including all those that are triggered by speaking to the right NPC or finding the right object. Even if you could find one player like that, could you really find 100? 1000?
    Does it matter? Having potentially missed a DE isn't reason enough to lure me back into a zone. DE's are not content on demand, if the zone holds no interest for me as such, I'm not gonna randomly walk around hoping for a DE to happen (or not). Also, waiting for an event equals (spawn) camping to me, something that is usually considered a bad thing.

The closer you come to a maps completion, the less synergy it holds. As I said before, from a reward-driven point of view, moving on is only natural...

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    if all you want is activity then you simply lack imagination, the game it self can only give you so much.
    i walk around queensdale at times just for the fun of it, i really don't care how easy it is as long as i have some fun playing around an area.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054