GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Fractals is a fraction of content though, there are places where having a tanky build is a lot more useful than having a dps build. Of course, you need dps regardless, but there are some tight areas where you can't really avoid damage, and someone needs to take the heat for the rest of the team. The dredge dungeon asura path for example.

As much as I am not a fan of tank & spank, and assuming that you're not running a team of only warriors either.

Much of the fractal content gives you plenty of space to dodge, and relatively few enemies at once. So a skillful player can avoid a lot of that damage with good skill use.

Btw, post your builds for us to learn.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I run my warrior as pretty much glass cannon and if I need to go "tanky" I just switch to mace/shield.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

A dead one (SF)
    I run a mix of Knight's and berserker gear (Helm, chest, legs and rings are Knight's, the rest is 'Zerkers).

Omnomberry Pies. Eat them.
    Last edited by Tru Reptile; 30-12-2012 at 16:56.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidCoqui View Post
    I run my warrior as pretty much glass cannon and if I need to go "tanky" I just switch to mace/shield.
    I am exactly on the same page, I think your utilities and weapon-choice is where the support & other non-pure damage roles should come into play. I think this broadly applies to every class except possibly the Guardian who possess a diverse trait-tree. If you feel the need to "tank" then Mace and Shield are required.

It is down to the fact that possessing additional toughness only supports YOU technically, (and quite a limited support at that) and its more of like an unnecessary crutch because players are supposed to avoid damage altogether. usually your best bet of survival is to kill something faster than it kills you, while dazing, using endure pain / shield stance and dodging to maximum effect.

In fractals eventually get so difficult that one big hit will kill you --- no matter what toughness you have--, so these "avoid damage" mechanics should be practiced now while you can still make mistakes and get away with it, not bad habits & a crutch that won't even be able to be used at the later levels. All PvE content can be played like this and some of the best players I talk to spec glass cannon for general PvE. ArenaNet punishes you financially for respeccing to finding a way to play glass cannon makes sense both from monetary perspective and from a skill angle. You want to be upping your game constantly and playing without crutches is the best way to do it.

In fractals even regular enemies will kill you nearly instantly at the very high levels. Remember you need to mitigate the damage or avoid it outright, period. ArenaNet introduced dodging into the game as a primary mechanic around which combat revolves. When you can't dodge you should be out of danger or using skill that make you invulnerable. If you can make it work for Fractals then you can make it work in every other dungeon as far as I'm concerned.

Bit off-topic but here is the 8,5 min version with even more DPS.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3tmLBu7smA

Last edited by Wethospu; 02-01-2013 at 07:17.

Warriors give me enough bad habits as is without adding in tank builds. Already I just stand in front of supply camps in WvW and whack everyone to death without moving, and I'm a glass cannon. I switch to thief and it takes me like 20 minutes to remember that I'm playing a game and not eating a burger.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Wow.

Think it's possible to do that with guardian (or anything else for that matter)?
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I think I have seen a video of Guardian soloing first two bosses. Lupicus is probably only problem (no "bugged" trait to dodge out of bubble, though I heard weapon-swapping works) because Alphard should be easier (projectile-reflection). And last boss is a joke.