Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]

Taking a good screenshot (discussion)

Since we were high-jacking a thread that was about armor... I'm starting this one. So apparently the -bmp command does work! and that helps matters every so slightly. I notice the difference in the quality of the screenshot, but it is subtle. I'm linking my tests with my graphic settings as they are right now. I'll edit the settings in a bit to have max settings and see what the difference is:

Using dropbox instead of imgur to avoid image compression (does anyone know of a image hosting site that doesn't compress?)

I'll leave the linkies under if you care to download them.

My current-medium settings:

.bmp:

.jpeg:

Highest Settings:

.bmp:

.jpeg:

.bmp my current settings
    .jpeg my current settings
    .bmp full settings
    .jpeg full settings
    Last edited by Raye; 07-12-2012 at 23:26.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    My problem with screenshots in GW2 is that you have to Ctrl + H, take the screenshot, then Ctrl + H again to take a screenshot without the UI. With the pace of the game, you could die in that short period of time.

I think it was LotRO... There was a feature, where if you held Shift and hit the Screenshot Button (ie. Print Screen), it would automatically hide the UI in your screenshot. Hitting Print Screen alone would take the screenshot with the UI. It was awesome.
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

That was like that in GW1 too RD, I'm not sure why they changed it.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Aurora Glade[EU]
    Guild

Lore School[GWen]
    I miss the Shift+ PrintScreen too. And I dont understand why they removed it. It was there in beta and worked fine. Posted on the official forums too a few months ago, but got burried by other topics :( https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...orking-anymore

Also for quality screenshots for GW1 there was: No Shadow, no post-processing, all other setting maxed(too much "bling" from post-processing is bad sometimes)
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Scree...reen_capturing

Probably for GW2 the settings should be the same.

Also try to convert the .bmp to .png. They are both lossless formats but png files have smaller size.
    Last edited by Sharkinu; 08-12-2012 at 08:48.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Guild

MVOP
    Anyone know what the mac command is?

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    My problem with screenshots in GW2 is that you have to Ctrl + H, take the screenshot, then Ctrl + H again to take a screenshot without the UI. With the pace of the game, you could die in that short period of time.

I think it was LotRO... There was a feature, where if you held Shift and hit the Screenshot Button (ie. Print Screen), it would automatically hide the UI in your screenshot. Hitting Print Screen alone would take the screenshot with the UI. It was awesome.
    Well, if you want to take action screenshots then yes - disabling your UI makes you more vulnerable, but you can still activate skills, cycle targets etc with the UI off so in effect you can just keep fighting (though you will have no indication of your current health status etc...)

The shift + print screen command in GW1 was nice though.

But I am not really bothered by the current shortcut. It's a bit more clunky, sure but it only takes a second or so to execute (but I have relatively long fingers I guess.)

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

I wonder if it's possible to bind the combo of ctrl+shift+h to just one button, has anyone tried?

Edit: Just tried it, re-bound the show/hide to just be shift (since I wasn't using it for anything in particular) so now shift+print screen does the trick! =D
    Last edited by Raye; 06-01-2013 at 01:40.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Just my 2ct...

I think that the difference between BMP and JPG is minimal. The graphics settings are much more important - and of course the ambient lighting you can get from in-game sources & the background.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

I disagree wholeheartedly... I think the bmp is much much much better. I am mostly interested in capturing the hair and the armor in good detail, and that is generally superior when I snap the shot in bmp. It is also easier to edit it without losing quality imo. Admittedly, those tests I did in the OP of this thread are kind of bleh because of the lighting, so I do agree on that point. Taking a screenshot in the character selection screen in jpeg vs. bmp yields a huge difference though. Or maybe I'm just so OCD that I notice >___>

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Bmps are MUCH better. Aren't jpgs like 90% compressed or something?
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!