PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do you use your initiative?

I've been trying to work out the most efficient possible uses of initiative, since it's clear the devs intended us to absolutely unload (not the skill) on people/monsters.

Typical opening for a trash mob might be: A few vital shots as I run into dagger range, cloak and dagger for vulnerability and then the immediate backstab, heart seeker if they're still alive.

For a human, apply venom on the vital shots, death blossom before cloak and dagger and stay cloaked to let the poison and bleed work, then the backstab. Repeat the process using blinding powder. Ideally they have been unable to land anything on you up to that point. Head shot should be ready just about the time they want to use their heal. Obviously people will counter you, but that's an ideal situation.

My thief is only level 44 so she hasn't quite gotten to all the neat initiative regaining tools except in sPvP. I'm excited to get some practice using them on AI.

Share your nifty little tricks.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    In pve, load up on init regen and spam like crazy, to be totally honest.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I'm still getting the hang of it. I spam my skills, forgetting that they are tied to initiative. It's a big difference from playing a Warrior.

I spend it on Death Blossoms. I have a DB addiction and am not afraid to admit it. And at 5 initiative per DB I can't really afford much else. However I will spend the 3 initiative to Heartseeker in combo fields for the bonuses.

Everything else is mostly managing initiative or waiting for initiative (makes it seem more passive than it is). Stealing/using stolen skills usually takes place mid fight, giving me more initiative (stealing and stealth give me initiative) and then allowing the second DB spamming to begin.

I used to use Roll for Initiative for more initiative, but found I have enough without it. Great skill for getting out of a fight also. Just didn't find myself using it enough to keep it around.

Heh, three responses of "pound on the keyboard" (with Sonoma having a very specific area to pound.)

C+D does more damage per initiative than DB if you can take advantage of the vulnerability. They're very close in damage, but C+D costs one more initiative. If you're already behind the target, C+D takes less time, but if you're on the wrong side and don't have a roll ready it may take considerably longer. So in a group it beats DB hands down, and on your own it depends on what other skills you're using and where you are.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Since we're on that topic, out of curiosity... are there weapon skills that don't use initiative or that regen initiative?

Also, are there weapon skills that are more efficient when it comes to dps-per-initiative-point than the big 5-point-ones? Seems to me that the big 5's are good spikes, but perhaps spamming skills that cost less might give you a better average dps.

hahah, ninja'ed by Fluffball's answer. Thanks.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Since we're on that topic, out of curiosity... are there weapon skills that don't use initiative or that regen initiative?
    I assume you mean other than the "1s"? No, but there are a ton of different traits or abilities to regen initiative.

Also, are there weapon skills that are more efficient when it comes to dps-per-initiative-point than the big 5-point-ones?
    They did a really good job of making each dual dagger and dual pistol skill really important (I can't speak too much to the sword or other combos.) HS is obviously good at finishing off running opponents, but it actually does less damage to throw 2 HSs at an opponent with less than 25% health than it does to use a single C+D with backstab. BUT the benefits of HS are that you can catch the runner and that you don't waste 6 initiative on something that can possibly be finished with 3.

Dancing daggers is also in the mix if you have 2 opponents, because it will bounce back and forth between them, doing impressive damage. DB is clearly the best for groups, due to the AoE.

For pistols, skills 4 and 5 make boss fights super easy. Yesterday I killed an event boss without taking a single point of damage and without moving an inch, just due to interrupts and blinds. I bled him to death to make sure I had enough initiative for those two skills.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    To be honest, I wasn't sure if 1's were free. ty for info
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    Heh, three responses of "pound on the keyboard" (with Sonoma having a very specific area to pound.)

C+D does more damage per initiative than DB if you can take advantage of the vulnerability. They're very close in damage, but C+D costs one more initiative. If you're already behind the target, C+D takes less time, but if you're on the wrong side and don't have a roll ready it may take considerably longer. So in a group it beats DB hands down, and on your own it depends on what other skills you're using and where you are.
    I use DB for the bleeds along with Caltrops currently. Prefer small groups of foes at once with those 2 skills. Although working in a C&D first is a good idea for a group of foes it will do a little less for me. I've been lax in using it as it hasn't been necessary and I've been fiddling around with other things (trying new utility skills). I do use Dancing Daggers. I really need to start doing some dungeons as I need that kind of play (more challenging and more cooperative) to start upping my gameplay.

Boss fights are always different and really depend on what others are doing. DB is often not necessary as other people will stack up the bleeds and I can do something else instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    For pistols, skills 4 and 5 make boss fights super easy. Yesterday I killed an event boss without taking a single point of damage and without moving an inch, just due to interrupts and blinds. I bled him to death to make sure I had enough initiative for those two skills.
    I love Black Powder. I haven't used it in a while as I've been working on my Shortbow. But I still remember the first time I used it and was amazed that I could just stand there in a fight. I wasn't fighting a boss though. So congrats on the boss fight. I haven't gotten the timing down on the dazing yet as I just haven't spent enough time on it.

Also, are there weapon skills that are more efficient when it comes to dps-per-initiative-point than the big 5-point-ones? Seems to me that the big 5's are good spikes, but perhaps spamming skills that cost less might give you a better average dps.
    The big 5-point-ones usually give you something else in addition to dps. C&D not only gives you the vulnerability it gives you stealth. Which can give you a lot when traited, plus it allows you to move behind the foe, if not already behind them, and lets you do a costs no initiative double damage dealing backstab. DB is an evasive move so while the animation lasts I'm not getting hit.

Ettins are the perfect mid-level enemies to work on interrupting/blinding. They attack slowly and either use a majorly telegraphed major hit or a medium telegraphed medium hit.

Also bosses tend to use a timer on their kill blows. For event bosses it might be as easy as counting 1, 2, 3, 4 interrupt, repeat. Much easier than running around rezzing 7 people every time the boss attacks.