This week's Skill of Interest is a pick from the last patch: Arc Lightning.
Current GW2wiki description (April, 2013) :
Cast an arc of electricity at your foe.
3 stages of damage in 10 pulses
Duration: 3 s Range: 900
Traits affecting the skill
Scepter Air Arc Lightning 3˝
Change-log (since pre demo season 2011)
- In the October 2012 patch, the activation time of 3 1/2 sec was added
- After the March 2013 patch, Arc Lightning pierces enemies.
- The Zephyr's Focus trait will help you regain endurance faster, but due to the relatively low number of channeling skills (Stone Dagger + a max. of three more when wielding Scepter), this is probably not the best Air adept trait to chose from. Other traits don't do a lot with Arc Lightning.
- You can still target foes outside the 900 range and hit them with the arc without causing damage, but due to the piercing ability an opponent closer to you will be hit.
- The arc needs a line of sight, so if a boulder or a tree is in the way of the arc, you will get an "obstructed" on screen message.
- The channeling of the skill will stop, if you dodge roll.
- Side stepping and circling enemies will work well.
- Although you have the potential to hit a tight group several times, the opportunities for that are pretty limited (WvW Zerg war, some PvE encounters). switching to other skills is necessary.
- Many damage pulses offer more chances to hit critical, but since a lot of sigils & nourishments have an internal cool down, this can't be used to full potential.