Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT

"Low" level crafting - what to do with the stuff?

For example Artificer - I've just "discovered" a load of potion recipes to gain the XP. So, what do I do with all those useless potions? Selling them seems impossible (3 copper each). Throwing them away? Keeping them until I get to an enemy I can use them against?

Or is there anything else I could do, salvage them somehow, or incorporate them in something different?

On a side-note, is it worth it to continue crafting? It's a way to get XP, so I don't mind too much, but it seems rather useless.
    (Apart perhaps from armor crafting, but even there most of it seems to be junk after a few days.)

Achievements:
    Server

Gunnar's Hold
    Guild

[LLS] [OX] [GRIF]
    My advice would be to vendor the potions to your crafting trainer, unless you really want to use them. While you could just trash them, even the few copper you will get from the NPC merchant is better than nothing, and all those little coppers here and there add up.

There is opportunity to profit while leveling up, but you need to do some research to be able to do that, and there are some gaps in the profit zones, where you are looking for the lowest loss possible.

Quick and easy guide to levelling artificer - make tuning crystals for 25 levels, potions of Centaur Slaying for 25 levels, potions of dredge slaying for 25 levels, repeat until 375, vendor all items to NPC merchant unless profit minus listing fee is higher. At 375, buy one or two of the rare level375 inscription karma recipes from the NPC master crafter, discover a full set of one, and one or two items of the other to reach 400. Either sell the rares or salvage them for ectos.

While it is not universal, it is possible to craft some of the level 80 rares and exotics, and make a profit, while buying all the materials, if you do some research.

Crafting = for fun and profit. If you enjoy it, and/or are willing to do the research to make money from it, it is worth it to continue crafting.
    Last edited by Saint Troy; 11-12-2012 at 20:54.

Some items go for a respectable amount. You can make high quality low level items, like rare level 30 pants or whatever. People want things like that for alts.

Otherwise I merch or use a cheap salvage kit.

Achievements:
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
    My advice would be to vendor the potions to your crafting trainer, unless you really want to use them.
    Thanks for the hint, I didn't think of that. I didn't realize the market price was far lower than NPC buy value. I thought that should be impossible?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    You can't sell on the TP for less than 1c more than what the NPC will buy it for, so what ends up happening is that (1) after commission, you can still sell on TP for less cash than at the NPC, and (2) many items that are not desirable by other players just don't sell on the TP even at the lowest price they can go. So basically, if the price the NPC offers is very similar to that of the TP, then just vendor to the NPC instead.

What I do is that I log into the TP, and it says what items sell for what prices, and you can put your mouse over individual items to see what the NPC offers. If the TP price is better than the NPC by enough, I sell on TP. If not, I sell to NPC. If you sell on TP, also check how much the price difference is between highest buy price and lowest sell price. If the difference is large, you might as well sell for more than the lowest buy price. If the difference is tiny, you might as well sell at the lowest buy price and get your cash right away.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    You can't sell on the TP for less than 1c more than what the NPC will buy it for, so what ends up happening is that (1) after commission, you can still sell on TP for less cash than at the NPC, and (2) many items that are not desirable by other players just don't sell on the TP even at the lowest price they can go. So basically, if the price the NPC offers is very similar to that of the TP, then just vendor to the NPC instead.
    I know you can't put up items for sale for less than the merchant price, but can you put up buy orders for less than the merchant and can you sell it to them?

What I do is that I log into the TP, and it says what items sell for what prices, and you can put your mouse over individual items to see what the NPC offers. If the TP price is better than the NPC by enough, I sell on TP. If not, I sell to NPC. If you sell on TP, also check how much the price difference is between highest buy price and lowest sell price. If the difference is large, you might as well sell for more than the lowest buy price. If the difference is tiny, you might as well sell at the lowest buy price and get your cash right away.
    In case Cyber didn't know, you have to put the mouse over the picture of the item to see the details and merchant value, just mousing over the text won't do it. In any case, other than offering it up to guildies (in chat or putting it in guild bank), what Alaris says is pretty much what I did when leveling up the three crafts I've done so far.

Also, there was a bug in the TP when it first came out that allowed people to put things up for sale for less than the merchant price if you're wondering why you see things for sale for less than the merchant price sometimes. Or maybe that was the buy order part.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    I know you can't put up items for sale for less than the merchant price, but can you put up buy orders for less than the merchant and can you sell it to them?
    Hahah you devil you. I don't know.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    I don't know about putting up buy orders. I do know that there are existing buy orders in the trading post for less than merchant price, but I don't know if you can create new ones (or if these are just relics from a time when buy orders could be lower than merchant price -- or something).

However I do know that you can't sell to the buy orders that are less than merchant price. You simply get the red text about the vendor price and the sell button is disabled.

On topic of crafting, I enjoy it. I also like the fact that each of my crafters got 20 levels of experience (four characters with two crafting disciplines each). I can't say that it was profitable overall if you look at coin alone, but I definitely had fun with it. Especially cooking.

Achievements:
    Server

Gunnar's Hold
    Guild

[LLS] [OX] [GRIF]
    You can't make orders of less than vendor price +1c anymore either. The ones on the TP are old orders.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
    You can't make orders of less than vendor price +1c anymore either. The ones on the TP are old orders.
    They should clean those orders... They're polluting the TP.

I like crafting. Simply because I can make my own stuff, if I want to. My guardian got lvl20 yesterday, and I had enough materials to create a new weaponset for her (I still had a lvl20 armour waiting from leveling profession).
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)