PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    I think I recall some people here talking about checking some report after a fight to see what hit them, but I don't recall hearing about it.
    That's the combat log. It's a tab on the chat window, and contains a bit of information about damage done and skills used. It's not perfect -- it doesn't mention when things died, for example. So sometimes things can be hard to determine. It's also pretty short. Go through two or more encounters and the old stuff will go away. But it's better than nothing.

Quite honestly, I don't really even know what all of the skills on my necro's staff do.
    Why not? Five skills to remember, it will be beneficial to know when to use which one. I mean, I understand not memorizing all the condition icons because there are so many (though I also think that's useful). But five to ten skills for your class?

And these skill descriptions... take Feedback for example: Create a dome around your foes that reflects projectiles. I hear reflect and I think it just makes them bounce off of me or keep me from being hit. What good is that? I can just dodge or kite arrows. How am I supposed to know, if I'm just reading the in game description, that it will cause ranged damage to be done to the source instead of the target outside the bubble? At least in GW1 if the skill did damage they mostly told you what damage they would do. In game, there's no explanation of what damage reflection and confusion will do. I even have to wonder what good Daze is since I can't tell if an enemy is using a skill (I think you get an "interrupt" message pop up) and it just says it interrupts skills. Do I need to be hitting them to get it to work (ala GW1) or can they just not use skills? And why the heck do confusion and daze have practically the same skill icon? WTF is that?

There's just so much information and very little incentive to figure it all out.
    Having a hard time with this. On one hand I think some skill descriptions could be greatly improved. Particularly in some traits (like for the necromancer, "Siphon health whenever you critical hit." --- um, great, how much health? No idea until I go test it or find an external source).

But for things like Feedback... what kind of improvement would you want that's not a novel in the tool tip? "Reflects projectiles back to anyone using projectile skills while inside the Feedback bubble. Any reflected projectiles will do damage to the attacker. The exact amount of damage done will vary based upon the skill being used that's reflected back. Useful for instances where the foe uses ranged attacks. Especially useful for skills that rapidly fire projectiles that cannot be dodged, such as a Nightmare Courtier's rapid fire bow attack or a Hylek's dart barrage."

If you're not inclined to figure this stuff out on your own, would you be really inclined to read the tool tip? You've already mentioned that you don't know what the staff skills do -- and those aren't vague at all.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Well, necros do have a large health pool, so it might be the case that they have enough to take that first hit even with lots of stacks of confusion. Someone should test it with 25 stacks.
    already done, it works. ^_^
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Quite honestly, I don't really even know what all of the skills on my necro's staff do.
    That's a problem, you should make an effort to know what your skills do. I'm sorry if that's kind of mean but I hate to play with people who can't be bothered to read their own skills' descriptions.

an incredibly poor selection of elites (at least on necro and mesmer, I find I have one choice: Flesh Golem and Hounds of Balthazar (which is a racial skill!).
    wut.

I'm gonna chuck that bit to the fact that you seem to not read skill descriptions...
    My only elite on my level 41 necro is Plague, and I can say it does quite a bit of condition damage, it is definitely better than the Flesh Golem imo, but then I'm biased against minions. Mesmers have Mass Invisibility, which basically cloaks everyone around you, that's not poor by any means. Mesmers also have Time Wrap, which is actually the polar opposite of poor. Quickness is a boon given by, a handful of skills in the game, because it is so OP. Until very recently I thought we didn't have IAS in GW2 because I hadn't seen it yet. The radius of that skill is ridiculous, it applies to all allies in the field, and the combo-field creates confusion. That is most definitely, nothing to sniff at.

For those who may not know what quickness does: "Quickness is an effect that makes all skills and actions twice as fast. Quickness granted by non-elite skills usually comes with some kind of temporary drawback, such as penalty to endurance regeneration or increase in damage taken."

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    already done, it works. ^_^
    While I have to admit that I'm more than a little skeptical that you found something that will give you 25 stacks of confusion, I did some testing of my own. Which took a bit of time since I had to find a present with dolls in it and without too many nearby players -- few people understood that I wanted the stacks of confusion (and wanted the dolls all clustered together, so attacking them and then running away didn't help me).

It seems that the Putrid Mark skill (staff 4 on the necromancer as we've addressed it previously) transfers confusion without triggering it, just like the guardian's Virtue of Resolve with traits. Nothing at all to do with how fast skill 2 is for the regeneration, simply that you don't take damage from confusion when using Putrid Mark.

The skill does have a 25 second cooldown, making it a fair bit faster than the guardian Virtue of Resolve with its 60 second cooldown.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Still is important to note that casting the mark with confusion on will hurt you, even if walking on it removes it without triggering it. I think it's an important distinction.

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Good point -- didn't test that aspect, just set the mark at the dolls' feet to immediately trigger it.

Edit: Finally found another present with dolls and no nearby players. That took way too much time.

Set down a Putrid Mark somewhere that it wouldn't immediately trigger with twelve stacks of confusion, dropped to roughly 5% health. The combat log doesn't show damage from the confusion, unfortunately, so don't have exact numbers. But oh em gee, it hurt a lot. I suspect that 15 stacks of confusion would have dropped my necromancer to downed immediately.

So if you can cast Putrid Mark such that it triggers immediately, no damage taken. If you miss and it's not immediately triggered, lots of damage taken. My necromancer has a high health pool, but I have no doubt that 25 stacks of confusion would kill her if they were triggered.
    Last edited by nkuvu; 28-12-2012 at 02:06.

Achievements:
    10 Posts6 months registered1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Not to hijack the thread but plague is very nice. It's almost a third lifebar with the massive toughness boost. Hit three to cripple or two for blind and pile on the bleeds.

Oh and it's great against the Dolls too.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    That's the combat log. It's a tab on the chat window, and contains a bit of information about damage done and skills used. It's not perfect -- it doesn't mention when things died, for example. So sometimes things can be hard to determine. It's also pretty short. Go through two or more encounters and the old stuff will go away. But it's better than nothing.
    Thanks. I knew about that but never checked it out very much. I will take a look at it again.

Why not? Five skills to remember, it will be beneficial to know when to use which one. I mean, I understand not memorizing all the condition icons because there are so many (though I also think that's useful). But five to ten skills for your class?
    I kind answered this. I know some of them, but the main thing is that it doesn't seem to really matter most of the time. One mark seems to do as well as another, so what does it really matter? Also, I usually am playing alone, so things like the condition removal that one of them does doesn't really do much for me most of the time, so the memory just doesn't stick. And they are mostly just spam on recharge until they are dead.

Having a hard time with this. On one hand I think some skill descriptions could be greatly improved. Particularly in some traits (like for the necromancer, "Siphon health whenever you critical hit." --- um, great, how much health? No idea until I go test it or find an external source).

But for things like Feedback... what kind of improvement would you want that's not a novel in the tool tip? "Reflects projectiles back to anyone using projectile skills while inside the Feedback bubble. Any reflected projectiles will do damage to the attacker. The exact amount of damage done will vary based upon the skill being used that's reflected back. Useful for instances where the foe uses ranged attacks. Especially useful for skills that rapidly fire projectiles that cannot be dodged, such as a Nightmare Courtier's rapid fire bow attack or a Hylek's dart barrage."

If you're not inclined to figure this stuff out on your own, would you be really inclined to read the tool tip? You've already mentioned that you don't know what the staff skills do -- and those aren't vague at all.
    If there were a tool top on the word reflect that had the wiki entry, (Reflecting is a technique used to block and return incoming projectile attacks to the source. All properties of the given projectile are reflected. For example Dark Path will cause the person reflecting the missile to be moved to the caster of it if it hits.) I think that would help a lot. I realize the info for reflect is a bit long, so maybe a need for an option for short descriptions like we had for skill descriptions in GW1 might be handy.

My main point here is that I could read that skill description, but if I don't know what reflect actually means in the game I still won't know what the skill does. I mean things like bleeding and poison are obviously doing some kind of damage over time, but reflect is REALLY powerful against certain foes, but I haven't seen anything really obvious inside the game that tells you that. Same thing with confusion. Why is there seemingly so little in the game that teaches a player these game fundamentals?

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    That's a problem, you should make an effort to know what your skills do. I'm sorry if that's kind of mean but I hate to play with people who can't be bothered to read their own skills' descriptions.
    It's not mean, it's common sense. It's also partly why I don't play with others much because I know I'm not very good yet and I don't like to be the weak link.

wut.

I'm gonna chuck that bit to the fact that you seem to not read skill descriptions...
    My only elite on my level 41 necro is Plague, and I can say it does quite a bit of condition damage, it is definitely better than the Flesh Golem imo, but then I'm biased against minions. Mesmers have Mass Invisibility, which basically cloaks everyone around you, that's not poor by any means. Mesmers also have Time Wrap, which is actually the polar opposite of poor. Quickness is a boon given by, a handful of skills in the game, because it is so OP. Until very recently I thought we didn't have IAS in GW2 because I hadn't seen it yet. The radius of that skill is ridiculous, it applies to all allies in the field, and the combo-field creates confusion. That is most definitely, nothing to sniff at.

For those who may not know what quickness does: "Quickness is an effect that makes all skills and actions twice as fast. Quickness granted by non-elite skills usually comes with some kind of temporary drawback, such as penalty to endurance regeneration or increase in damage taken."
    I'm sorry, it was turning into a book, so I didn't go into more detail on that point and I should have. I tried Plague early on and it never seemed to do that much damage and it killed my minions. It also had a 3 minute CD and I really don't like having skills on my bar that I frequently can't use, which is also partly why I don't like most of the elites that I've had access to with the mesmer and necro. Later on I dropped minions (except for the Flesh Golem) and generally only use Plague under water where I could never really figure out how it worked (and I fight underwater so little I didn't bother to wiki it). I should try it again now that you finally made me wiki the darn thing.

What I like about the Flesh Golem is that it soaked up damage, it was an almost on demand knock down and it did some damage too and it could be resummoned farily quickly if it was killed. It also draws agro making my marks and wells more useful. And it heals itself out of combat unlike most other minions.

Mass Invisibility. I read this one. 5s of stealth in a 1200 radius for you and friendlies. I forget the cool down but I remember it as being long. I can see how this would be great in WvW, but how is this useful in PVE? Also I'm usually just doing stuff by myself or one or two other people. I just don't see the point. But as I think I've clearly demonstrated here, my game knowledge isn't that high, so I would love to know why you think this skill is so great. It sounds cool but 5/90 (I looked it up to make sure I wasn't missing something already written on the wiki) up time? I don't get that.

As for Time Warp...I did learn about quickness not too long ago, but it seemed more useful for rangers/warriors/guardians/thieves than for necros and mesmers or for any caster using skills with already fast cast times. And as I mentioned, I'm usually playing alone too so I didn't see much benefit from this (not playing with others has also made me lazy to figure out all the combos, because I would get so little use out of it.) And a 3 1/2 minute cool down? I'll try it out, but I'm not so sure how useful that would be. At least the Hounds give me somewhat reliable damage.

I do read the skills, I just haven't learned all the jargon in them yet, which makes understanding what they actually do and how to use them harder and general PVE doesn't really give you much reason to learn them. Maybe I should start a thread called I'm a terrible PVE player, tell me what I'm doing wrong. lol

There's a long list of things I would like to know more about but haven't had the time to learn. Mostly because it doesn't matter as they wear off and then I go back to killing stuff or I'm already killing stuff and figuring that stuff out would let me kill things only a little bit faster. Like what can I do to break stun/chains, prevent knockdown, look up whether I my necro skills are mostly doing condition damage (as opposed to the general "damage" idea I have of them in my head) and what I can do to increase that damage, is anything immune or resistant to condition damage, how they heck do you tell when an enemy is about to do something so you can time an interrupt or Feedback, what is the confusion build that I see Raye and others in the official forums talking about, traits in general, figuring out what kind of armor I want to get (spec wise and look wise), same thing with weapons and trinkets. I'm sure there's more.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

@Blade: I read all your post but I'm not going to quote the bits I'm gonna talk about cause X_x you wrote a small novel. =D

The recharge of elite skills are always so so long... necro and mesmer are no exception. The elites are supposed to be used "at the right time" rather than just use them on recharge. I don't think I've seen an elite that recharges quick so far... the quickest one I know of (I think) is Renewed Focus on guardian which is 90 sec recharge. Basically the thief venom and the flesh golem are the only "quick" recharging ones, and they're still pretty up there.

As to the confusion build everyone seems to be talking about, I don't actually know. I just put my own build together and I decided to maximize confusion and clones when I was thinking about it. I'm not sure if there's a "meta" confusion build floating around. If you're curious I posted my build in the mesmer sub. Linky to the post

Also quickness, it applies to your spells too. Just imagine how much quicker you could cast Meteor Shower on an ele when you have quickness on. I wanted to double check that last fact, but the wiki appears to be down right now. =(

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    Quickness has no distinction between caster or physical. Everyone gets a huge benefit from quickness, no questions asked.

Also, forget about elite up-time. It's a bad way to compare elites. People keep trying to compare gw2's elites to gw1. They aren't the same thing. Truth be told, a skill being elite in GW1 was a BAD thing because you only had 1 slot for an elite skill while most of the time elites were treated as just 1 more skill in your bar.

By giving elites actual strong effects (like the mass quickness) you also need to give them huge cooldowns, or else you'll be rewarding button mashing instead of actual skill usage.