PC Gaming News
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Just remember that most conditions and some boons also have a visual effect, as mentioned. The edges of the screen changes, and usually the character will have some graphical indication around them relating to the condition/boon (purple clouds for confusion, black smoke type stuff for blind, etc). They also tend to shout out something relating to the condition/boon, such as "I can't see!" or "Can't walk right!" or "I can't remember my orders!" (this one seems to be the Charr line for Confusion). Once you know the sort of things certain lines of speech and certain colours of effects relate to, you don't need to look at the boons/conditions bar so much. That said, I'm fairly sure the lines of speech vary with the character's race, so each race means remembering a new set of declarations and their associations.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    Just remember that most conditions and some boons also have a visual effect, as mentioned. The edges of the screen changes, and usually the character will have some graphical indication around them relating to the condition/boon (purple clouds for confusion, black smoke type stuff for blind, etc).
    Hm. Problem with that is, I tend to ignore the screen changes - it's rather distracting, IMO. Especially when your health gets low.
    But I'll try to keep an eye open for that.
    There is quite a LOT that happens at once.

However, now that I know what to look for, it should be easier to recognize/not get confused by it.
    Thanks all.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    It was distracting a first. There's a lot of visual information to keep track of in GW2. It's good, but it can take a while to adjust to. I honestly find the little icons too small to properly look at midbattle. The shouts have been the most useful for me - even if I don't know what they mean, if I hear something at least I know there's some kind of a problem to take care of.

I unlock some kind of condi removal skill as soon as I can when levelling a character. Great panic buttons.
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    I tend to ignore the screen changes - it's rather distracting
    Game tells me something is wrong.

"NOPE!! Just keep on going!"

Achievements:
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeon Lion View Post
    Game tells me something is wrong.

"NOPE!! Just keep on going!"
    Not quite.
    Game is overflooding me with visual effects that make no immediate sense except telling me what I already know - that I'm under attack.

Sure, I'll stop fighting to check out what all these flashes might mean - wait till the tooltip shows up for those icons that seem to appear randomly and are moving around, carefully read it all, perhaps check on the wiki, and once I've read all that, I'm ready to resurrect/rally at the next waypoint. Yay?

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Not quite.
    Game is overflooding me with visual effects that make no immediate sense except telling me what I already know - that I'm under attack.

Sure, I'll stop fighting to check out what all these flashes might mean - wait till the tooltip shows up for those icons that seem to appear randomly and are moving around, carefully read it all, perhaps check on the wiki, and once I've read all that, I'm ready to resurrect/rally at the next waypoint. Yay?
    That's an interesting point of view.

"I'm on fire!"

Hhm, I wonder what that means? I wish the game told me more clearly!

"I can't walk!"

HHmmm, does this mean I can walk? I don't understand!

*Screen goes all black*

I can't see anything with this screen effects, I wish it could go away. Surely it doesn't mean anything...

--------------

My point is the following. I like to compare this game to Megaman X. In that game there was NO tooltips or tutorial. In fact the way you learned the game's mechanics was when faced with actual problems. An excelent video can be seen here from egoraptor.

Viewer discretion is advised:

Now compare that to the current generation of games, where the ammount of handholding is actually absurd. You can't do anything without the game telling you what that is, how to avoid it and what causes it.

Now look at GW2. You are inflicted with Burn, suddenly your character shouts "I'm on fire!" and starts immolating. Do you really need anything else to know that SOMETHING IS WRONG ?? And why don't you care about what the game is trying to tell you? Why do you brush it off and ignore it? You're trying to look for something that isn't there while ignoring what IS there.

What I do agree however, which is something the video I posted does expose, is that GW2 doesn't exactly have a sort of controled environment (sort of). The closest you have is the tutorial mission after creating a character. Mobs in there don't really pose a threat so you're free to look at your skills, experiment with movement control and doding while being presented with the way dynamic events and world bosses work (including the downed mechanic). The problem with this mission is that it's missing 1 thing: you aren't required to do any of those things to beat it. You are not required to dodge attacks to survive, etc.
    Last edited by Nemeon Lion; 29-12-2012 at 16:56.

Achievements:
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    I'm not referring to obvious things like fire or some sort of stun, but something like this "confusion" - which simply kills you when you use skills.

I attack enemies, suddenly I'm dead. What part of the screen shaking and flashing should have told me "You are under a spell that drains your health every time you use a skill" ?

I attack enemies, suddenly I'm dead. What part of the screen shaking and flashing should have told me "You are under a spell that drains your health every time you use a skill" ?
    By reading the icons on the basic UI?

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Because a condition appeared in your UI. If you're someone who doesn't know what confusion, what it does and how to recognize it I still don't understand how you didn't BOTHER (as you've said multiple times) to read what that icon does.

Once again, we go back to my earlier point. You're specifically looking for the game to tell you everything about everything without you even asking for it when the game was designed to NOT do that. Instead the game tells you the stuff IF you go look for it (all the information is there) and once you understand the basic mechanics provides you with ways to quickly discern and react to those very same mechanics (screen shaking, effects, shouts, etc).

In other words, you want handholding, the game has none.

Achievements:
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    All the times I got hit with confusion, I was dead long before I even knew there was a new icon, because auto-attack was killing me.
    When should I have looked at that icon? Should I stop fighting whenever something new happens, to examine the screen and read all the information?

I want the GAME to explain its mechanics to me - that isn't handholding.

[edit]I can only look for information that I know about. If it is something I haven't ever seen before, how can I ask about it?
    Last edited by Cyberman; 29-12-2012 at 19:06.