PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If you don't already have 25 stacks of vulnerability on the boss, getting there will do more damage than anything a shortbow can do. That's my premise. A quarter more damage to EVERYTHING is not a mediocre bonus. Also the vulnerability plus bleeding is far a better use of initiative if there is not already max bleeding. Let's agree that it's a situational weapon set. Shortbow is usually not ideal for boss fights.

I'm talking pure damage, but if you want, p/p can offer you blind and interrupts, and SB can't.

Different situations. But shawn will drop some gw1 credentials and cite a 4chan meme and we're all wrong.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I can often maintain a 10-15 stack of vulnerability on my own on engineer or mesmer... does this affect conditions or is it just pure damage? Either way, sounds meh when you're trading off actual damage for it, but sounds rather powerful in a group for at least 1 person to consider doing this.

Definitely situational though.

Also, even if the vulnerability condition is a good bonus, the rest of the weapon could still be sub-par on damage. That is what Shawn has been arguing. It's one thing to say vulnerability is good, it's another to say it's good enough to justify using a very low damage weapon set... there's no reason why you can't put vulnerability *and* do decent damage.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I'm running a slightly modified version of http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User.../Thief/Acrobat

I say modified because I was level 40ish when I started using it, and 60ish now. Also my utilities are a little bit different. But yeah, it's sword/dagger + shortbow.

I was previously using d/d and bow and loved heart-seekering across a map, and kind of miss having that on my bar now as a s/d. sigh.

But I like what I'm doing with that s/d build, so it's all good.
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

Quote Originally Posted by Fae View Post
    I'm running a slightly modified version of http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User.../Thief/Acrobat

I say modified because I was level 40ish when I started using it, and 60ish now. Also my utilities are a little bit different. But yeah, it's sword/dagger + shortbow.

I was previously using d/d and bow and loved heart-seekering across a map, and kind of miss having that on my bar now as a s/d. sigh.

But I like what I'm doing with that s/d build, so it's all good.
    In a thread specifically asking for builds you are the very first person to share one, 16 replies in no less. The build looks like it makes good use of the stealth mechanic. I like the stealing traits you took because I am interested in taking them as well.

By the way vulnerability is not a reason for choosing the pistols over the bow as shawn rightly points out.
    Last edited by Xunlai Agent; 10-04-2013 at 01:04.

If pistols do more damage to a single target, and they do, then that is a reason to choose them. If I may beat a dead, stubborn pony.

I ran around with dual pistols when I started the game and as I started to try out different classes and weapon sets it dawned on me that pistol mainhand is sub-par by comparison given what it offers the user. For me the combination of bleeding and vulnerability does not trump a shadowstep with condition removal and a reliable stun+evade especially given sword gives you aoe damage. The kit you receive with dual pistols is not redeemed by allowing you to use unload in my humble opinion.

We have access to the daze and the blind by wielding off-hand pistols, so that argument isn't apt. You are comparing the shortbow to P/P when the argument is about S/P vs P/P.

I posted earlier that s/p is better if applicable. p/p offers a ranged autoattack, s/p offers a melee aoe. Two entirely different weapons that can't be compared anymore than you can compare scepter to greatsword on a guardian. Obviously greatsword is the better weapon if applicable.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    In general PvE, I find the ability to do damage to multiple foes greatly outweights the ability to do damage to single foes.

If my weapon choices allow for both, great, otherwise I'll always go for AoE. When I take up a veteran and his adds for example, I can focus fire on the veteran with my mesmer, and do enough AoE damage to take out the adds before the fight is over. With single-target damage, taking out each add first would draw out the fight unnecessarily and expose me to extra damage.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    I posted earlier that s/p is better if applicable. p/p offers a ranged autoattack, s/p offers a melee aoe. Two entirely different weapons that can't be compared anymore than you can compare scepter to greatsword on a guardian. Obviously greatsword is the better weapon if applicable.
    The idea being that you are running a Shortbow in your other set. So the comparison would be something like SB & S/P vs P/P and whatever you are running in your second set. What are you running in your second set if I may ask?

I use SB and d/d primarily for PvE. However I keep a sword and two pistols in my inventory. Fractals are varied enough, and in fact each encounter in fractals are varied enough that I swap between basically every available weapon on the way to the next fight. I do the same to a lesser extent in regular dungeons, and for champs in general PvE. In WvW I will always have an offhand pistol on swap for the interrupt. If I'm on my own it is usually a s/p, if I'm with others I'll use p/p. I don't use p/d, but it's obviously a really popular (most popular?) WvW build.