PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Exclamation Power Of My Ranger: Beastmode

So the aim of this build is to focus solely on your pet to deal damage instead of running either a hybrid or relying solely on your bow. Overall I find that Rangers have the worst implemented profession mechanic but maybe one day ArenaNet will wake up to the problem. Granted, it did take them quite a few years in the original Guild Wars but eventually Pets were automatically infused, dealt 30% more damage in PvE and could be taken for spin in PvE without having to dedicate two skills to the task. Until then we shall have to make do with the sub-par position we are in, which is behind Warriors in the damage department for both ranged and melee. Pets are a gimmick that massively disadvantage Rangers but trying to create "petless" builds is fruitless and gimps your Ranger even further.

The advantage to running a build focused on your pet is that your gear does not have as much of an impact on your damage as it would for other builds and for other classes. Furthermore this trait layout allows your pet to heal for considerable amounts and thus stay in the fight without having to be recalled or switched out. Much like the mantra for glass cannon, you aren't doing any DPS if you are lying face down in the dirt. By focusing on your pet you allow it to tank for you while dealing significant amounts of damage.

Weaponsets:
    1) Axe (Sigil of Force) / Warhorn (Sigil of Battle)
    2) Shortbow (Sigil of Perception)

Traits:
    Offensive trait setup:

Critical Healing trait setup:

I think the trait selection is fairly self-explanatory. They nerfed the Crossfire+QZ combination so I stopped investing in Marksmanship as a result. Focusing on your pet to deal the damage isn't ideal but you will be dealing more damage. Unlike PvP rangers you needn't worry too much about disables on your pet or kiting opponents which is a huge boon for pet users.
    Once your Pet has 25 stacks of Master's Bond I would switch that trait for Rending Attacks or Speed Training (if you are in a Zerg then bleed will likely be capped which is when ST makes more sense). You could also use Shout Mastery for 20% off shout recharge, probably makes more sense if you are running a second shout. Yes, Master's Bond works like the stacking Sigils - once you reach the cap you can switch without losing the bonus. If you aren't doing this then you need to start now.

Skill Selection:
    Healing Slot: Healing Spring or Troll Unguent
    While Healing Spring is one of the best healing skills in the game with low recharge, allied condition removal and able to benefit from the Concentration Training trait; it does require you to be in proximity of your pet and in later zones this may be inadvisable due to the sheer damage that mobs can deal. Troll Unguent is good because it grants healing over time to your pet (which has synergy with the natural health regeneration your traits afford the animal companion and yourself) without having to be anywhere near your pet. I think your healing depends on your party composition (Healing Spring makes more sense if there are plenty of ranged characters who can stand in your healing field) and whether you think being near your pet is a wise idea.

Utility Slots:

- Signet of the Wild (this is should be a staple on nearly any Ranger bar for PvE)
    - "Sick 'Em"
    - Quickening Zephyr

Utility Skill Substitutes: Signet of the Hunt and Signet of Stone.
    I would put SoH on my bar when running from A to B because the speed boost will save you invaluable amounts of time. Signet of Stone is an option in areas where you will take huge amounts of damage and it's sufficiently telegraphed. However SoS is only a temporary fix and I would honestly say that in levels where your pet is going to be dead a significant amount of the time it my be wise to play with your Rifle Warrior instead, no I am not even joking.

Elite Skill: Rampage As One
    This is easily the best elite skill available to Rangers in PvE and it superlative synergism with your traits by granting both your pet and yourself Fury and the ability to feed each other Might. Stability and Swiftness help your pet close the gap to your target (Crippling Shot and Concussion Shot should be deployed to this effect too) and keep attacking through disables.

Pet Selection
    1) Jungle Stalker
    2) Polar Bear
    The Jungle Stalker is feline which means it has beautiful precision numbers and it can grant the party five stacks of might. I wouldn't use Might Roar in combat too much because the reaction speed is slow/clunky and it disables your pet while it goes through it's roar animation. The Polar Bear can be used in the areas where you think your pet will have to be tankier and in parties than aren't running to soak aggro up while still allowing for more damage than all the other bears.

Equipment:

- Full zerker's or barring that full Rampager's
    You want to be critting as much as possible but you do have access to some conditions and so you could go condition damage if you want to. The condition damage on your gear doesn't really help your pet and so Rangers face the same issue as Necromancer's with their minions.

General Combat:
    Most fights should open something like this: Mighty Roar -> Call of the Wild -> Quickening Zephyr -> Rampage As One ->"Sick 'Em"
    You should switch between your weapon sets frequently to make the most of your Skirmishing traits and the Sigil of Battle on you Warhorn. Choosing which weaponset to use is a question of context and obviously comes with experience (if you need your disable you want the Shortbow and if you have just activated RaO the axe is more preferable because you can score more hits to trigger might for your pet). Broadly you want to be in the background flanking the opponent and throwing out cripples, daze, chilled, poison and bleeds to compliment your pet's damage output.

Team Selection:
    - "FGJ!" Warriors with a precision banner are ideal because boons on your pet last for quite a while. More Power and Precision for your pet is welcome to a build that is trying to stack as much of it as possible.
    - Guardians are excellent because they give your pet Aegis and burning. Shout Guardians are awesome because boons on your pet last 50% longer due to traits. Shout Guardians that have Empowering Might and aren't afraid to use Empower are probably your best friend.
    - Staff Elementalists are good because they provide area healing for your pet which is great because you do not want your pet to die, every little bit helps.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I will probably end up running this... this is great. It fits my favorite weapons and skills, plus it's good for weapon swapping.

My main question is whether I stand to lose much switching the warhorn for a torch or second axe instead. I like the torch gameplay (especially the fire field self-combo), I have not used the warhorn much yet (or axe for that matter) so I don't know if I will like it as much.

Would dual bow be fine too?
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Would dual bow be fine too?
    Speaking about open PvE: dual bow means dmg to single target - you're left with Barrage only for AoE. Having an axe means hitting more targets with autoattack - useful during champion fights where champion summons minions or events with lots of enemies.

I've been running dual bow for a while to see how it plays, but I switched back to shortbow and axe+warhorn. Dual bow is OK when playing in less crowded areas. But in places like Orr, or low level areas where I just don't want to waste time killing one enemy at a time, axe is really handy.

Plus, there's that warhorn skill where you can summon giant hawks - it's really cool :).

But it really depends on the situation. So it's best to have all three sets. And a greatsword - especially if your ranger is an Asura :).

And the build above does not really depend on weapon type...

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    My ranger is asura, of course!

I just got to level 30, which means I have yet to really learn the strengths of different weapons (I have practiced mostly bows, and some greatsword at the beginning too, now I'm getting into axe main hand).

The reason I figured dual bow was for cases when I need to be at a safe distance, e.g. dungeons. You're right that it's not very good for dealing with more than 1 foe at a time in general PvE. Also, axe is great when you want to hit multiple foes, but it's also terrible when you want to avoid hitting multiple foes... it's an aggro magnet!
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    For dungeons - I usually switch to longbow.

But staying at max range for more than few seconds in most dungeon fights is tricky. Either you're in small room, or you have to constantly move because of AoE. There's not many places where you can stay at safe distance for the entire fight. At least - that's my experience.

You can play a bit with that build in OP if you want to use only bows - use Quick Draw (Skirmishing trait) to get faster recharge for bow skills, for example, or use Sharpened Edges for extra bleeding. Of course, you're losing the Beastmaster feel of the build, but pets are not that good in dungeons anyway. There are other Ranger builds that are much better there.

We really need at least two builds for Rangers :).

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Ultimately, I much prefer builds that I don't need to pay for respecs... if given the choice, I'd pick the dungeon spec, and be ok with being a bit sub-par outside dungeons. I don't particularly care for the pet portion of this build, I was more excited by the fact that it emphasizes the skills and weapons I like to use. It's just bonus that it makes the pet tankier, I find my pet tends to die too quick.

With Xunlai's love of Fractals, I would tend to believe he wouldn't post a build that is bad for dungeons. I could be wrong. I also looked at Xunlai's dual-bow build, and it just didn't seem as fun to me...
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    But...
    Quote Originally Posted by Xunlai Agent View Post
    So the aim of this build is to focus solely on your pet to deal damage
    So if you're not interested in pet part of the build.... :)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I realize the irony.

What I meant is that I don't really care if the damage I do comes from my ranger or my pet. What I do care about is having a viable build, and one I enjoy playing. If my pet is more the one doing the damage, then that means I have more freedom to choose my weapons.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I realize the irony.

What I meant is that I don't really care if the damage I do comes from my ranger or my pet. What I do care about is having a viable build, and one I enjoy playing. If my pet is more the one doing the damage, then that means I have more freedom to choose my weapons.
    The way it is now, your pet will not be dealing dmg in dungeons or fractals. It will be dead half the time.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    That bad eh?

Hopefully they fix that before I get there. But... I've had some rangers in dungeons before, I don't recall their pets being dead all the time. Not that I was particularly paying attention to that to be honest...

Would my pet die that much given how much is invested in the pet tree?
    == Alaris & clone ==