PC Gaming News
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    even if the enemy runs away, the one handed sword is simply better because you can teleport to the enemy, attack the enemy and even use #3 to both do massive damage and block any incoming range attacks. (also looks hilarious when using an asura.)
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Purely PvE speaking, I'm using sword/shield and staff. With sword 2, staff 3 and runspeed on one of the utility skills I don't feel it difficult to catch up on foes. Swapping staff for greatsword would give you additional cc, if you don't mind losing the ranged option. Personally, I just got bored of the gs in general.

With literally no downsides to moving in combat, I consider swiftness the best option really.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I haven't played with sword in a long while for some reason. Sword+torch work really well if you can line up your foes in front of you.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran6 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    let me teach you one main rule, everything i say is PvE based, i really can't stand PvP so everything PvP is useless to me.
    let me teach you one main rule, if everything you say is PvE based, then there's no real point to argue : take whatever weapon/armor/trinkets/rune/sigil/food/traits and you will kill everything with a guardian

the mob runs away ? CC with focus/hammer/staff/sanctuary, pull back to you with greatsword, gap close with GS/hammer/JI/sword, use swiftness, etc. ...

I'm not sword master yet and there are many dps build based on this weapon ... when you're traited for (30 in Radiance, traits Right-hand Strength + Powerful Blades ) and dps geared/traited, it's more than a GS alternative : an example I will try soon just for the fun of it)

Achievements:
    Server

Desolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Lyra View Post
    I'm not sword master yet and there are many dps build based on this weapon ... when you're traited for (30 in Radiance, traits Right-hand Strength + Powerful Blades ) and dps geared/traited, it's more than a GS alternative : an example I will try soon just for the fun of it)
    Yeah, personally I like the 0/30/0/30/10 trait allocation immensely because it keeps the party-support from 30 points in honor, while still offering nice dps. This isn't just a guardian trying to be a warrior as seen with other offensive builds.

Using a focus offhand is likely the most efficient (blind, block, regen) choice, personally I just go with the shield for looks and cause I find skill 5 hilarious

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Lyra View Post
    let me teach you one main rule, if everything you say is PvE based, then there's no real point to argue
    This is true.

If your experience is dungeons, WvW, or sPvP, then it's solid enough to be argued with. But PvE is quite a bit easier and as such does not discriminate well between good and bad builds... especially in GW2 where there are no terrible builds. Equip any two random weapons and leave your optional slots empty and un-traited, and you can still kill stuff pretty well.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

What is a good elite to use?My traits were 0,0,7,8 and 8 using sword/off hand or staff/scepter.satenia or Alaris.

How good is that trait set up using the weapons I use?

What is a good elite to use?My traits were 0,0,7,8 and 8 using sword/off hand or staff/scepter.satenia or Alaris.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran6 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii
    Quote Originally Posted by Age View Post

about the elite :
    as a rule of thumb, every skill depends on what's your job (dps, bunker, support, mix) and what's your fighting ground (pve, pvp, wvw) and what are your current needs (depending on the situation I would choose as my 2nd skill between Wall of Reflection, in a heavy archer-dungeon like Caudecus Manor, or Retreat, when I'm running from point A to point B) :: I very often change a skill or 2 while I run
    personally, I do not like the books ... Renewed Focus allow you to be invulnerable for 2 seconds :: this is priceless when you're out of everything and still need to survive past that wall of arrow carts AoEs ... plus the virtues that are reusable right away ... no comparison with the books if you want to stay alive and thus be able to do your job a little longer
    you're in a tough situation : F2 / 0 / F2

about your build : I guess you're talking about a guardian who is level 23 with the old trait system ? well can you be more precise ?

about 1Hsword : http://gw2.cybermaohi.com/?page_id=39
    Last edited by Virginia Lyra; 17-04-2014 at 07:45.

Achievements:
    Server

Desolation
    Agreed on picking Renewed Focus as the elite - the invulnerability is a nice panic-button, while you get your virtues instantly recharged in the process. Therefore, be sure to always activate the virtues if you're about to use the elite. You can even activate them while Renewed Focus is still executing... goes well with the whole panic-button thing.

Generally speaking, having at least 15 in Radiance for "Renewed Justice" is what I would consider mandatory for a dps-oriented build. That way, you can spam Virtue of Justice by having it refresh after each kill. As it happens, the Radiance line offers additional sword traits, so I would max this, given your weapon choice.

Brazil's 0/30/0/30/10 build is what I've been using for the last few months as well, though with changes to Purging Flames, I think it became more popular to move the points from Honor to Virtues instead. Personally, I've kept them in Honor prior to the recent patch so I could easily swap to a hammer when needed.

But if you're still leveling that char, I would focus on Radiance, then Honor and lastly Virtues. The build Virginia Lyra linked is still very decent, even though no longer the meta (not necessarily a bad thing ).