PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    -great sword for necro's
    That would be cool if they decided to update the game with new skills in the future. Great sword for Necro perhaps involving big AoE condition skills akin to wells -- AoE life siphon or the like.

I am picturing my necro with both hands lifiting the great sword up past her head by the hilt (blade pointing towards the earth) -- dark mist accumulates in a circle around the area -- then slamming the great sword down into the earth -- dark mists scatter (blinding foes) revealing dark cracks all over the ground, from which emerges a group of low level minions.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    @RDarken:

I don't find the WvW requirement difficult, but I guess it'd be nice if they changed it to getting one third of a credit per guard for example (guards are way easier to kill than players). Like require 150 points, and get 3 per player kill, 1 per guard kill.

Engineer mortar is awesome to spam from wall tops because you don't have to be right at the side to use it. Grenades and regular shots otherwise.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    One aditional hope, no WvWvW in the normal monthly.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    I wanted to be concise and just have a sentence like most others have done already, but... yeah. I blather too much.

2012:

I am happy the game was released, but holy kittens, a lot of bugs came with it. Some of the bugs were clearly due to lack of scaled testing (i.e., trading post). Others seemed to be due to a lack of any testing (traits that don't do what they say they do). I honestly feel like the game could have been delayed by six months for testing before release, and it would have gone a lot smoother.

For a game that's focused highly on cooperation (such as shared experience, unique resource nodes, et cetera), it seems awfully odd that there are things that can be ...intentionally problematic for others. For instance, training groups onto a player -- and aggro is determined primarily by proximity rather than damage, so even if someone doesn't attack, the enemies can focus on the player. Who thought this was a good idea? Or the Wintersday presents in the world, where players can leave large powerful groups (such as princess dolls or golems) behind after getting the presents -- it would make a lot more sense if the present only spawned after the enemies were killed (which would also alleviate the problem of the present disappearing if you take too long to kill a group).

Many of the design decisions seem to be at odds with the stated philosophies of the game. Consider dungeon tokens for a set of armor. To get a set of exotic armor, it takes 1380 tokens -- with 60 rewarded per run. Doesn't it seem strange that a game that's against mindless grind would have you run the same dungeon 23 times at minimum (more if you do multiples in a day due to diminishing returns)? I definitely didn't have to run any mission in GW1 23 times over. Of course my disclaimer is that I'm looking at numbers on the wiki, so maybe I'm missing something. It honestly doesn't bother me that they set things up this way, but it certainly confuses me.

Not a fan of the gem shop. Too many blatant cash grabs (Foostivoo only available from Wintersday chests which are only available from the gem shop, and the chance at the mini dropping is ridiculous? Check!). Not enough incentive to actually get anything -- town clothes are nice, but what happened to costume armor? It was really nice that I could get gems with in game gold, but that was also when the price for gems wasn't even a sixth of what it is now. None of the items on the gem shop are anything other than cosmetic, which is fine. But it seems like they're really really pushing the sales of gems, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Crafting, as much as I like it, seems really pointless. I don't really think this one needs much elaboration.

Personal story is really disappointing. Tons of choices at first, narrowing down to one sole story where you aren't even the hero. Bleh.

But the positives:

I love that I'm rewarded for exploration, one of my favorite aspects of the game. Not just from map completion, but finding the hidden gems like caves with waterfalls (that have no real reason to be there) or scenic views that aren't tied to a vista.

Transmutation off the bat means that I can make my character look like I want. It took a long time for this to be added to WoW, and a fair bit of time to even be added to GW1 (though that was mostly separating runes and insignias from armor appearance).

A lot of the armor and weapons look good. I can have swords that look like swords, rather than giant plastic toys. I can have armor that looks simple and functional, without having shoulderplates larger than my character's head. (Medium armor could use more variety aside from Trenchcoats R Us, but this is the positives part of my post so I won't mention that. ...oops).

So easy to get to other racial areas. Remember in GW1 trying to go from Ascalon City to Shing Jea Monastery? Or Kamadan? Really don't miss those gates (not to mention the fact that when you got to Shing Jea, half the content wasn't even available because you weren't the right profession or nationality).

Down leveling is the best thing ever. I can go back and explore areas with my level 80 characters, and not feel like I'm wasting my time with one-shotting beasties. I can help others without completely trivializing their efforts. I can even get level-appropriate rewards, though that's understandably less common than it would be in a level-appropriate area.

Jumping puzzles are annoying and frustrating and strangely fun. Most of the time. Even if they do give me the wibblies.

2013:

Hoping for bug fixes. Lots and lots and lots of bug fixes. From Banditlag Caverns in Queensdale to repeating sounds to broken events in Orr, lots of bug fixes.

Hoping for improvements to story. I know it's about as likely as penguins learning to fly, but still hoping.

Less "one size fits all" content and more variety in difficulty.

...and kind of running out of steam, blathered on too much. I'm sure I'll think of more later, but I guess I've written enough for one novel.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I was watching some guy play the bells in LA today.

I hope ANet adds music as a more permanent fixture in the game. It's one of my favorite features in LotRO. I like just keeping an instrument in my bag to play around with when I feel like it, trying to figure out songs. Some people would even form full bands and put on shows.

Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

2012:
    Positive:
    • GW2 release
    • Rytlock statue
    • Amazing soundtrack
    • Fractals of the Mists
    • Chance to pick up old festival hats in GW1

Negative:
    • GW2
    • Removed WvW orbs
    • Lost Shores
    • Ascended gear
    • Fractals of the Mists is just a self locked gear treadmill
    • GW1 total population is like 40 players so no one to play with

Hopes
    • Trahearne officially dies and is replaced in existing story missions by a revenant representing your GW1 character
    • If you didn't play GW1 the revenant is Devona
    • The term "race" is updated to the more correct "species"
    • Asura gets an update to not be a comic relief species anymore
    • Elementalists get a new spell: Lightning Bolt
    • Laurels are sold in the gem store
    • Level 80 kits are sold in the gem store

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Hopes
    • Trahearne officially dies and is replaced in existing story missions by a revenant representing your GW1 character
    • If you didn't play GW1 the revenant is Devona
    Signed.

Are the Ascalonian Heroes mentioned much in GW 2? I haven't seen them outside of exotic armor. I miss those guys
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Signed.

Are the Ascalonian Heroes mentioned much in GW 2? I haven't seen them outside of exotic armor. I miss those guys
    AFAIK you can find their descendants somewhere in Destiny's Reach. Or was it Lion's Arch. I don't know and haven't managed to find them myself (I thought I did but I was wrong).

They (or rather, the player characters) are also mentioned briefly in the Edge of Destiny novel. Glint says something about chosen finding her in her lair, and then returning later on to fight her. I think that was a nice wink at all the people who failed the Dragon's Lair bonus objective on their first try...

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    was glint alive then......i killed her for sport a few years back.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Would the guesting fiasco be 2013 or 2012? They announced it in 2013, but the foundation for it has been set way back when they decided they want separated servers and didn't care about people guesting across servers.

Another negative: the old HOM is apparently only reachable through a "magic teleport". Great way to include a rather important part of the legacy of the original game.
    I like what they did with it designwise - but why does it have to be so absolutely removed from everything with no connection to anything?

Hopes for 2013:
    Not sure, really. Perhaps that I find a reason to play again? I did spend quite some money on it, so it's foolish not to play. But playing for the sake of playing, instead of enjoying the game? Hm.

Ah, here's a hope: that they fix the targetting so you can actually target the guy clobbering you instead of the one standing half the map across doing nothing, but being somehow "closer" to you.