PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]

Please tear down my necro!

So I have leveled my necro up to 80, I tend not to spend a lot to time face-in-dirt and mobs are dying smoothly enough. But I still have the suspicion that I have no clue what the hell I am doing. Especially when it comes to my build and my gear. I have a vague idea that I like conditions (even though I am not adamant on that point) and that I want to have both AoE and single-target capabilities. But other than that it is pretty much a blur. I have, simply put, not gotten around to really learn my profession yet.

Here is my usual setup:
    Weapons:
    1) Axe+Focus for single target, death shroud motor and some support.
    2) Staff for AoE, long range (lowish) dps and support.

Slot skills:
    Consume conditions
    Signet of the Locust (constant speed boost yay)
    Spectral Wall
    Well of Darkness (sometimes take another well here)
    Take Root [E]

Traits (now this is where it becomes very iffy..)
    30 Spite (I, X and XI)
    5 Curses (had a thought there, but should really up the critical chance for max effect. Was thinking to actually make this my main trait line though)
    10 Death (II for unblockable marks)
    10 Blood (kinda useless for me at the low points. Guess scrap or max?)
    15 Soul Reaping (spectral armor and more life force for more Death Shroud goodness. II)

(link to build calculator)
    I know this is not really optimal, but have a hard time deciding on what to do...

And then there is the gear. I wont list what I got since it is not even remotely thought out nor maxed out. I have been aiming for condition damage, power and precision for the most part though. There was some formula on how to build attributes right? I am also wondering if there are any "Must Haves" in the runes department. I am not too shabby at dodging out of the way of stuff etc, so I do think I can afford to be a bit glasscannony with the gear (also necros already have big health pool and the death shroud as escape).

Anyways, HELP!
    (This is the part where you guys tear my necro a new one. )

(Oh, and I thought this could also be a nice thread for general general PvE building advice, so if anyone else have any follow-up questions feel free to butt in! )
    IGN Bark N Mad. Officer in The Order of Dii [Dii]

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    I never liked spectral wall much. I specced as a well necro, and use the death magic trait #4 so that my wells apply protection. With that setup, spectral wall is completely outclassed by well of suffering. Sure, the protection and vulnerability don't last as long, but it deals a lot of AoE damage. And siphons health too with the blood magic trait #12.

I'm also not too fond of the axe, although I've never tried using it with the spite trait #11. I just found the dagger to be the better weapon. Sure, it's melee, but the range on the axe is low enough that it's barely worth it.

I also don't see much point in getting the unblockable marks trait for PvE. Foes don't block all that much, and when they do you can just wait for their blocking stance to end. Increased areas of marks might be useful in some rare situations, but usually when I'm running around on my own I can easily bunch enemies up together and hit them all with my small marks.

This is the build I decided to pick for PvE when I got my necro to level 60

If I were to refund my points, I'd probably drop Death Magic down to 10 and use the points for something else though. Initially I picked the Spiteful Vigor trait that grants retaliation every time you heal. I thought that with Well of Blood, I'd trigger that trait 10 times in a row. Turns out well of blood doesn't trigger the trait at all, or at least it didn't when I tried it.

Also, the first utility skill (well of corruption in the build I linked) gets changed a lot depending on the situation. Plague is a great skill when you're in trouble, you just pop it and start spamming skill #2, which blinds everyone. Unless you're fighting dredges. When fighting those annoying jerks, I switch out plague and well of darkness for something else. And the off-hand dagger for either the focus or the warhorn.

Regarding the off-hand dagger, skill #4 is your friend. Blind up to 4 enemies and transfer conditions too. But all necro off-hands have their use. I don't think there's one that's really better than the others. Dagger off-hand just fits my playstyle more.

I use Well of Blood for PvE, because I can also heal up friendlies with it, and I get protection and life siphoning with my traits. Consume conditions is a great heal too. It's the one I use for sPvP. But with the condition transferring abilities of the off-hand dagger and the staff, I feel like I've got enough ways to deal with conditions already for PvE.

I'm running around with magic find gear, but if I didn't, I'd mostly use berserker gear, with maybe a touch of knight for the toughness, because necros have plenty of hp already, and get a bit more use out of increasing toughness. And with my trait points being mostly in defensive stats, I really need the extra power.

All in all, I feel like it's a balanced build that can adapt to a lot of situations. The amount of blinds and life siphoning makes me very hard to kill, well of suffering and the staff's marks help deal with groups of foes, dagger is nice when facing a single stronger foe. If I'm underwater for extended periods of time, I can switch out my traits to improve minions, and use that instead (wells don't work underwater). With ground targeted wells, I can provide some support from the backline if needed. Conditions are no trouble. Damage output is nowhere near as good as a glass canon warrior, but it's good enough to kill stuff.
    Last edited by The King of Dust; 02-01-2013 at 15:59.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    take dagger/horn instead, there are times when you just don't need to do much to kill a group at ones so simply taking their health while killing them outright is all you need.
    for the skills, take this setup i use:
    blood fiend, well of suffering, well of power, well of darkness, flesh horror (E)
    this gives you the advantage of taking down a group without you actually being the group's target, it simply makes you untouchable.
    always have death magic on 20, this makes you tougher and you can make your marks quite effective.
    also have at least 10 on curse, this way you can take the terror trait to make fear more powerful.

this is kinda how i play, i didn't touch anything with insignia's and such because that's something i didn't really look in to enough.
    http://www.gw2build.com/builds/simul....10.25.20.15.0

have fun killing enemies ^_^
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Why do you have Spiteful Talisman (spite trait #2 : focus skills recharge 20% faster and have longer range) when you're not using a focus?

And why do you have Toxic landing (curse trait #1 : the necro's safe-falling trait)? This is the kind of trait you equip temporarily when doing jumping puzzles, having it always on is kind of a waste. Especially since you're using a warhorn. You'd get a lot more use out of Deep Breath (curse trait #8 : warhorn skills recharge 15% faster and their effects last longer)

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Why you no use minions?
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Heh yea, I started out with minions, but I don't know. Guess minions are just not my style or something?

Your build Dusty (can I call you Dusty? ) does seem a bit on the defensive side to me. Think I would like to be a bit more focused on the damage output. Living on the edge and all that.

Agree that unblockable marks are probably not worth it. What I really like about the axe though is that it powers up my death shroud in literally just a couple of hits. Other than that it is maybe not the best damage dealer known to man (or rather Sylvari heh).

About Spectral wall, it is one of those "put it on there and forgot about it" so I am sure there are better choices, like another well *ponder*.

I had decided against well of blood due to the long recharge and no extra condi remove (and having to stay in the area to get more healing past the initial burst), but the ally healing might be worth it. Although the pulse numbers seem low, does it really help the team all that much?

I do like the concept of fear causing damage, especially since I do tend to use fear tactically quite a lot. Is the damage substantial enough to warrant it though?
    IGN Bark N Mad. Officer in The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I do love my summons, but that doesn't mean they are any good. From what I hear, minion-less necros can be quite effective.

The rest is pretty speculative, not based on personal gameplay experience. So take it with a grain of salt.

Necros are pretty tough especially if they can get some life-stealing from their build. There are some skills and traits you can take advantage of for that, especially in the blood line. If I went minion-less, I definitely would go for well of blood. Between life stealing and F1, you should be able to survive from one well to another. And the only real reason I would go minion-less would be to play more support.

Basically:
    -replace death embrace (traiting for downed is admitting defeat) for spiteful talisman or spiteful spirit.
    -removed the two stand-alone minors and put that into blood, get ritual mastery for faster well recharge. This also gives you a minor that steals life on hitting.
    -use well of blood for healing. 20% faster recharge means 32s instead of 40s.
    -switch the wall for a well of your choice.
    -keep the running skill for regular PvE, swap for another well in dungeons.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I believe wiki has some numbers on how much damage that trait will do. I remember thinking it wasn't worthwhile.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    My condition necromancer uses scepter/dagger. Consume conditions, Signet of the Locust, variable, and Epidemic for AoE or Well of Suffering for single target. Skill 8 right now for me is Well of Suffering, but I will change -- generally to another well -- based on the encounter I expect. It's quite amusing to take Well of Corruption (converts boons to conditions) when fighting dredge, for instance, and all those gong-playing dredge fall over like crazy.

As I have it set up right at this very moment: build!

Though I should point out that I usually switch Toxic Landing out for Chilling Darkness ("When you blind a target, you also apply chill for 1 second", listed as "Pitch Black" on the gw2build site), just haven't bothered recently.

Scepter sigil is Corruption (gain stacks per kill to increase condition damage) and dagger sigil is Agony (increased bleed duration).

I can't say I'm a fan of axe. I want to like it, but scepter kills things so much more quickly. And has better range. And targeted crippling rather than just an AoE cripple. And applies conditions faster. Dagger is fun for blinds and sending conditions to target -- especially after using epidemic, just send that self inflicted vulnerability to your foe as well.

Can't stand minions. Bah. They make skritt seem like geniuses.

My build does have some power, which isn't immediately useful, but I do like the condition duration increase that comes with that. And I've found that even without any toughness, my necromancer is pretty hard to kill. Death shroud and Plague make for some nice refuges from those "oh kitten" moments. And kiting (plus all the cripple/chill I can apply) means that I'm not usually hit by anything melee anyway.

I liked Well of Blood for healing nearby allies, but the cooldown and lack of condition removal sent me back to Consume Conditions.

Achievements:
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lensor View Post
    Your build Dusty (can I call you Dusty? ) does seem a bit on the defensive side to me. Think I would like to be a bit more focused on the damage output. Living on the edge and all that.

Agree that unblockable marks are probably not worth it. What I really like about the axe though is that it powers up my death shroud in literally just a couple of hits. Other than that it is maybe not the best damage dealer known to man (or rather Sylvari heh).

About Spectral wall, it is one of those "put it on there and forgot about it" so I am sure there are better choices, like another well *ponder*.

I had decided against well of blood due to the long recharge and no extra condi remove (and having to stay in the area to get more healing past the initial burst), but the ally healing might be worth it. Although the pulse numbers seem low, does it really help the team all that much?

I do like the concept of fear causing damage, especially since I do tend to use fear tactically quite a lot. Is the damage substantial enough to warrant it though?
    You can call me Dusty .

Well of blood is only worth it if you at least get the 20% shorter recharge for wells. Otherwise, stick with consume conditions.

Never tried the fear does damage thing, because I almost never use fear. I almost never use death shroud either, except for the extra aoe damage with life transfer, or to get out of sticky situations. According to the wiki, the Terror trait makes fear do "2 + (level * 4.5) + 30% of Condition Damage damage per second.", with another 50% bonus in damage if there's another condition on them.

Fully offensive necromancer builds are a bit difficult to come up with. They're one of the worst profession when it comes to direct damage output.

I messed around with the traits a bit and tried to come up with an offensive condition-based build that includes terror : clickable link, yay!

Scepter & off-hand dagger, because every skill relates to conditions somehow, staff because fear. 20% increased bleeding duration to try and make use of those bleeds inflicted by critical hits and by skills, and pretty much the same idea with lingering curse. Consume conditions as healing because it's the best necros have, unless you spec for wells (and even then, consume conditions still holds up very well against well of blood). Lots of choice for utility skills though, none of them really stand out as being better. Wells are always good, though well of corruption and well of power are very situational. Tried to put some different ones in there. Corruption skills are interesting to use with dagger off-hand and staff, because you can just transfer the self-inflicted conditions.

Anyway, this is just something I came up with without testing it. If you think it looks interesting enough, try it out in the pvp lobby first. But I have a really hard time playing a necro without well of suffering. The damage from that skill is almost too good to pass up on.

----
    Edit:

Looking at the numbers, it's hard to imagine Terror being worth it. You only have 2 skills that induce fear, and fear doesn't last for very long. I really doubt it'll make enough of a difference to justify investing trait slots for it.
    Last edited by The King of Dust; 02-01-2013 at 21:39. Reason: Typos