Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Ehmry Bay
    Guild

[Loot]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    @MisterB: hahah, well, the question was more rhetorical. There's lots of good reasons to not use minions.

Spoiler
    I understood it was a rhetorical question, but I thought I'd have a little fun listing reasons not to use them. I think the lack of energy as a resource, soul reaping, direct minion healing, and minion buffs(ZOMG, Death Nova and Order of Undeath!) that all were present in GW makes GW2 minions... less than optimal given the other shortcomings in my previous post. Still, some players like to summon an army of fleshy friends to tear their enemies apart, and minions can still do that.

When I said jumping underwater to get rid of minions, I meant that you can choose not to equip them underwater as a method of disposal or changing your build in that environment. I really, really, hate uncontrolled aggro in a three dimensional environment. We also can't use marks or wells to heal minions underwater. How do you heal them there?

I honestly am altogether terrible at my necro underwater: none of my skills, weapons, and traits function there, and I haven't found a way to adapt yet. It doesn't help me any that there's different Death Shroud skills there, too.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Underwater, my necromancer uses trident skill 1 to apply bleeds. Skill 4 to sink the enemy.

I use skill 2 if I want to aggro extra stuff, and skill 3 if I want to shoot off in a random direction (it says "dart at your foe," but that happens rarely for me). I use skill 5 if I want to be a sitting duck for a while.

As you may be able to tell, I'm not really a fan of most of the trident skills. And I really don't like trying to do melee underwater. Bleh.

Underwater utilities are Signet of the Locust, Signet of Spite (I think), and Epidemic. Though the trident skill 1 is an AoE, so not as much use for Epidemic as there is on land.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    My necro is barely level 30, and so far I just re-summon minions when they die. I haven't incorporated any way to heal them even in my build posted above. The trick to minion mastery is moving slowly, killing everything in your path. It's not a gameplay style for rushers. If you do it well though, you can clump up your foes nicely for massive AoE's, and minions are good to mop up leftovers from that AoE.

As for underwater combat, I just unlocked the spear skills at level 30, so clearly I would be of no help. I'm planning to keep minions as well, but I have not played anything aside minion master both over and under ground, so I have no clue what would work there. Sorry.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Your flesh golem won't do you any good underwater, Alaris. The skill can't be equipped there.

I find it useful for knocking down veteran foes occasionally or even the rare champion (that's not immune to knockdowns.)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    So yea, taking some things to heart, here is my new setup.

I've yet to play a lot with it, but feels nice enough. Have to get used to Plague Elite though. Still pondering on epidemic, and if it is worth it to be able to target wells (so nice though).

Still wont say anything about my gear because it still sucks.
    Last edited by Lensor; 06-01-2013 at 03:19. Reason: optionals are not optional!
    IGN Bark N Mad. Officer in The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I suggest taking a healing skill, they are handy sometimes. And optional skills are good too. An elite while you're at it.

I'd say targeting wells is essential if you play mostly ranged, and useless if you play mostly melee. With axe, it's close enough that you can run in and hit the wells... but if you use them also to heal allies then targeting will be handy.
    Last edited by Alaris; 06-01-2013 at 03:12.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Haha, ops. Fixed!

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    10 stacks of might for 20 seconds sounds pretty good. I would have taken an extra well, but I have to admit that I don't know which (extra well, or blood is power) is the better option.

Sounds pretty good otherwise.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Achievements:
    10 Posts6 months registered1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Instead of spectral master I would suggest unyielding blast. Piercing and vulnerability is nifty and with 30 in spite your life blasts will pack quite a punch.
    Last edited by Hersir; 06-01-2013 at 10:31. Reason: Wrong condition

Achievements:
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Oooh, yes that makes sense. Especially for me who try to use Death Shroud as much as possible.