PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rush’s Guide to Smoother Dungeons

Well hey guys, apologies for the lack of content from me during the past few months. I have been hammering away at school, but now I actually have the free time to write up another handy dandy article! In this guide, I will be sharing with you my preferred team composition for faster, safer, and [...]

More...

By: RushV

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 Posts1 year registeredBlogger1000 Experience Points
    Guild

MVOP
    So much for the end of the trinity*

GWOnline.Net Member

shelter?

I'm curious why your healing spell of choice for the Guardian fluffer is Shelter and not the signet. I've never tried Shelter.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by EnoughAlready View Post
    So much for the end of the trinity*
    To be fair, I've been running dungeons with vastly different setups, and it's gone reasonably enough - especially if someone knows that path already. I don't think those build suggestions are absolutely necessary - rather a formula the OP has found really effective (and likely can be played around with and adjusted to suit needs).

High level fractals might be something else entirely though, I imagine that is a place where you're going to really want a specific setup, especially in terms of providing something useful for your whole party - and people will request certain things there to ensure success.
    Dea Draconis • Friendship is Magic • Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Well I guess with competent enough players you'll get the dungeons done with any kind of class combination.

I did however also notice how it goes far more smoothly - especially when you PUG - if you take guardians/warriors over the by default more lightly armored classes.

Unfortunately I haven't been to any high level fractals to see how it's done there, but maybe someone can share their insights.

Quote Originally Posted by satenia View Post
    Unfortunately I haven't been to any high level fractals to see how it's done there, but maybe someone can share their insights.
    Go full glass-cannon raw damage and use utility skills to evade and mitigate damage. Wall of reflection, well-timed dodging, daze-locks, clones, aegis and endure pain are the mechanics you need to master. Condition damage and tanking gear will make progress beyond a certain point impossible. You can stack vitality and toughness all day and all night but eventually you will be one-shotted no matter what. Fractals is about coordinated play in tight areas that requires you to pass a certain damage threshold in a short period of time and speccing for anything else is simply inefficient. The community is convinced that archetypical MMO play is somehow pertinent to a game that seeks to redefine combat completely. Then again if you look at the skills people were taking and playing a few months into Prophecies and the mentality that pervaded there you would see the same thing - fallacious thinking and poorly designed builds were the norm. This forum was gold mine for the so-called snowflake builds with tons of Beastmasters from the Zoo Crew telling people that pets were fine and that any build could work if you knew how to play and they were joined by Mesmers who insisted that their class was pertinent to PvE when it wasn't. GWO was the ultimate hold-out for mediocre PvE players insisting efficiency didn't matter and thus anybody with any clue went to the QQ boards or Guru. Eventually the GW 2 playerbase will wake up and smell the coffee until then expect more guides like the one above...
    Last edited by Xunlai Agent; 01-01-2013 at 16:33.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    So at some point you simply can't "tank" the damage anymore, so everyone is going full dps, got it.

But, to refer to my original question, is it favoring specific classes, or can you do it with any? I seem to read guardians, warrs and mesmer at least.

Quote Originally Posted by satenia View Post
    But, to refer to my original question, is it favoring specific classes, or can you do it with any? I seem to read guardians, warrs and mesmer at least.
    Warriors and Guardians are probably the best selection from the Solider classes and Mesmer is easily the best scholar.

I would avoid taking Rangers because their pets will be permanently dead and I am not a fan of Engineers either. Necromancers offer condition damage which is a terrible option for general PvE and even worse in the Fractals. In fact I would argue that teams should avoid picking up Necromancers and Rangers completely. I have seen a few good Elementalists around and they can offer some decent support when specced right. Thieves don't offer much to the team that isn't covered by the viable professions but some people have run them.

Ideally I would probably run 1 Warrior, 2 Guardians and 2 Mesmers. Everybody needs to be wearing full zerkers and know the exact nature of the dodge mechanic to a tee (learn when the invincibility frames trigger and when they expire - think high level Streetfighter gameplay where memorizing frames was paramount to victory). I would ignore the composition specified in the blogpost because it's tantamount to suggesting a touch ranger team for GvG (don't do that). Toughness/Vitality gear is a crutch and leads people to lack damage which in turn often leads them to think even more defensively. The problem is that you are not killing them fast enough not that you lack healing or defensive stats.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I like that you included the builds for the warrior and guardian.

Hooray, my favorite character is warrior! I'm useful! I also have been (slowly) building a banner warrior because I figured it would be handy for dungeons; I'll have to check my build against that one.
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Quote Originally Posted by Xunlai Agent View Post
    I would avoid taking Rangers because their pets will be permanently dead
    This is more of a question, but do most rangers not switch their pets before they die, so that the cooldown isn't as long? Or are you talking about places where there are lots of targeted/point blank AoE's where it's just not desirable to have pets around?
    ----------------------------satomz----------------------------
    -------------Fan Arts of all Types & Guild & Alliance Matchup & GW1-------------