PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Questions regarding transmutation

My level 80 thief has a stalwart jacket ( require level 39, if I remember correctly) given as a reward for her personal story advancement, and I like the look of it on the female thief.She is now level 80 and had obtained the karma armor from the Dwayna temple in Orr. I wanted to transfer the look of the stalwart armor on to the higher level karma armor, but it is forbidden. My question is why ? ANET's description of usage of the stone says it requires item of the same type, so what constitute " same type "? Also, my female ranger tried to transfer the look of a karma armor from Warmaster Chan to a karma armor obtained in the Temple of Melandru and was unsuccessful as well. So, what am I doing wrong?

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    My first thought is that you're probably using the low level transmutation stones, instead of the fine ones. (You need to use the blue ones, not the yellow ones when you want to transmute level 80 gear)
    Last edited by Raye; 04-01-2013 at 09:47. Reason: added some clarity

Initially, that was what I thought. I went back to retry, making sure I was using the right stone, still no dice.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Desolation
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Initially, that was what I thought. I went back to retry, making sure I was using the right stone, still no dice.
    Karma armor is a little special with what you can do with the upgrade slot and what not. I would try to first transmute the lowbie skin to a regular lvl 80 piece, then transmute that and the karma armor.

I have successfully transmuted the exotic karma armor myself, so I can confirm that it does work.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Ok, how is it forbidden then? like what is it telling you? A screenshot or two would help...

Edit to add:

I was just reading the official wiki talk page on transmutation. Some users claim it is buggy, that even when it is supposed to work properly, it doesn't and that the only way around it is to keep trying. I'm not sure I believe that, but maybe that's what's going on with yours.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-01-2013 at 10:32.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Are you currently wearing the karma armor? Because it probably won't transmute then.

Try taking the piece of armor off if you're wearing it and then transmute it with a fine stone.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    I have noticed that a transmute can sometimes be sensitive to which item is in which panel. If it fails with, for example, the skin-piece (the Stalwart Jacket in your case) in the left panel and the stat-piece in the right panel, try reversing them.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    It may well be buggy, I've had it do some strange stuff (including reskinning correctly, but changing the preview icon to that of the unwanted skin, thus freaking me out).

Other than that, Fine transmute stones and make sure to select each piece of information in the transmute window. It won't allow the transmutation if for example, you've neglected to select between two available options of stats. It's usually around 3 different pieces of information you have to select (skin, armor stats, other stats) before the button to transmute becomes clickable. I dunno what else it could be - does it give you a specific error message or anything?
    Dea Draconis Friendship is Magic Dea Felidae
    kokabel.5728

I've noticed the order or selecting those three parts is important. For example, I intuitively go top down when selecting the three things I want, but it sometimes won't allow that. Just keep trying different things, it should work more often than not.

Thanks every one for the answers. I took the armor off ( Shadowhand's idea ) my ranger first this time and successfully transmuted the armor. I also neglected to specify the 3 stats/options panel ( thanks for the reminder, Kokabel and Fluffball) last time, so that caused the problem as well. I am going to experiment with my thief's armor now, will report what result I get.
    P.S. Just transmuted the armor for my engineer. All the problems arose because I had been using the stone wrongly, i.e. didn't choose the options panel as I was assuming it would be as simple as drag and transmute like the way those legacy armor skins would change the appearance on my low level characters. Thank you all, now my ranger, thief and engineer do not have to wear the same armor.
    Last edited by Oliver; 04-01-2013 at 19:25.