Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    [MENTION=268036]Alaris[/MENTION]:

However, there are people who play on several different computers. For them, their petnames would not match between each computer. This would create some inconsistency.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Right you are, Mehtis. I didn't think about that.

You could have a text file people have to carry around with them... it would be an easy fix, giving the trouble to those who care enough for it. And those who don't care, the current system would be default.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Ehmry Bay
    Guild

[Loot]
    I worded my post poorly, but Alaris got it. I meant that local storage of pet names could be used to supplement the current system for all pets beyond the current 4 pet names that are now stored on the server.

Local storage of account data in online games can lead to cheating and exploits(See:Diablo 2), but I can't think of how that could be problematic in this case. Another issue is development time for a quality of life feature that may be a low priority.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    In this case, there's no fear of cheating or exploit. However, if playing on different computers, the names would not get transferred, and so you'd have cases where the computer doesn't know the name of the pet you are trying to swap with. This would be inconsistent across computers (some have the names, some have some names, and some have no extra names) which would be a pain to manage.

Again, since that's only a problem for those using multiple computers, it would be a net gain for everyone else.

As for development time, it could be implemented fairly easily: (1) on loading the ranger, if there is no pet-name file, make a file with all 4 current pet names, (2) whenever you name a pet, it adds (or replaces) the pet name in the file, (3) if you swap a pet with one from your inventory, check if the inventory pet has a name, and if so, send a command to name that pet accordingly once it is equipped. This sends the appropriate command to the server so the pet's name is the name taken from the file.

The sit back and enjoy the flow of players angry that there is no synchronization of pet names across computers... because lazy solutions often have the unfortunate side-effect of generating more hate than love.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    and what if you have all pets unlocked and renamed, sooner or later you will have a time that something wrong happens to your pc.
    if it's stored locally it will be gone the moment something go's wrong to you, if it's on your account and not locally you can't lose data, saving you tons of time.
    just imagine this being not just for pet's but also for characters, it's gonna turn in to a mess and everything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Renaming all your pets =/= tons of time. Don't be so dramatic.

Also, nobody suggested implementing this for character names etc so I don't know why you're going all slippery slope on us.
    == Alaris & clone ==

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i rather have it server wise then client wise, if it's such a drag on the server then why the hell do i want it locally on my pc....
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    i rather have it server wise then client wise, if it's such a drag on the server then why the hell do i want it locally on my pc....
    It's not a drag client-wise, because the resources used up by this are divided up by the number of players.

A small memory & hard-drive use becomes big when multiplied by millions of players.
    == Alaris & clone ==