PC Gaming News

Bizarre minor theme (literary) of GW2

People lacking the courage to ask someone out. It's all over the place. A few off the top of my head:

• In Bloodtide Coast, 2 priory researchers by the ghosts in the far north
    • In Lornar's pass, 2 asura by the ettins in the far south.
    • I think it's Snowden drifts (?) where there are norn in a lodge preparing for a competition that is open to parents. In this case you actually have the random conversation to encourage the guy to ask out the girl, and he fails.
    • Various overheard conversations throughout cities and towns.

I wish I could remember more right now, but it's this weird theme that I've been slowly subconsciously picking up on and only just now realized how pervasive it is.

It's not immediately obvious to me why it's all over the place, but it's too common to be a coincidence. Working together seems to be the major theme of GW2.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Now you mention it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywu1iGPkY2U

Actually, there's a lot of almost-risque npc chatter too. Like a lady in Divinity's Reach, talking about how she likes Norn men because they're real men. Catches me off-guard and makes me smile.
    Last edited by kokabel; 17-01-2013 at 03:41. Reason: someone needs to fix video embedding.

I was thinking about it last night (no idea why). I know this stuff means something because of the interviews with Jeff and Ree, they talk about how they planned all these themes out. I know they didn't write any of the dialogue or actual story missions, but surely there were guidelines.

I think the huge amount of relationship chatter of all ilks is to make us want to save these people from the dragons. Another common theme is people out in the field like Pact soldiers or researchers or Lionguard, they talk about their families back home. Even a pirate I killed was talking about how he was worried about his grandfather (I wanted to hear the rest but I accidentally shot him in the face.) Not having the courage to ask someone out is a minor encouragement for us to give them the time to build up the courage rather them dying to a dragon without ever getting a chance at love.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    What's wrong with video embedding?

Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Well, when I tried to embed it, it just freaked out and vomited code at me. I am clearly cursed. :(

I never really thought about the 'hints' that NPC chatter might give regarding an overarching theme. I really do think you're onto something though.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I think a lot of chatter is there to make the world feel real and alive. What you saw is true, but then there's this couple who decide to go back to making love, there are couples torn apart by wars, there are kids having fun or talking about how other races look weird, etc...

I don't see this "rejection" as a theme, rather as one aspect of life. You're more likely to get rejected a few times before you find someone who loves you back. That's life. And that's what they tried to capture... life.

imo
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    What's wrong with video embedding?

Poor Art.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    "Art" has the same voice as the pirate in Sparkfly Fen that sings the modified Pirates of Penzance song. It confused me.

On topic of NPCs and relations, I enjoy the exchange in Divinity's Reach near the Uzolan's Mechanical Orchestra. Girl asks farmboy if he wants to dance, and he gets immediately defensive, saying his mother warned him about "girls like her." More rejection, but rather amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by kokabel View Post
    I never really thought about the 'hints' that NPC chatter might give regarding an overarching theme. I really do think you're onto something though.
    There was this great half hour interview with Jeff and Ree before the game came out. I can't immediately find it, but it was the biggest nerdfest of an interview ever. They talked about how they want to tell a story with the game. I know Ree is an author who among other things worked on Dragonlance. I assume Jeff is as well, I seem to remember him working on something D&D related.

It was really fun to see how insanely passionate the two are about making art with their lore and plots.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWO
    Yeah, I'm fairly certain that he wrote parts of the Finder's Stone series of books (back when Moonshae series was all most people knew of Forgotten Realms. Pretty sure it was before Salvatore wrote Icewind Dale too.)

Though I might be wrong. It's been a few years and I don't have any of those books anymore. I lost them about 5 moves and 2 countries ago I suspect.