PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid Ocean

Solid Ocean

Damage-values based on level 10.
    Last edit 04.05.2013.

Note: Agony starts affecting on Tier 2 (Level 10-19), getting stronger each Tier.

Solid Ocean

Way to boss
    • Skippable. Enemies drop good loot so it's a good idea to kill them (especially on lower levels).
    • On higher levels (40+) you should kill last group if you wipe and need to deal with Agony.
      - Enemies may keep you in combat messing up an already messy situation.

Awakening
    • Kill two Jade Maw Tentacles (Veteran) to wake up Jade Maw. Ignore 10 Veteran-Irukandji (Giant and Normal) because they respawn and disappear after Tentacles are killed.
      - You can range Tentacles safely from ledge on left/behind.
    • Prepare for incoming Agony (level 10 and above).
      - Try to stay full health with all healing skills (and reviving skills) ready.
      - At higher levels you can't survive Agony. Let someone get defeated, resurrect to 99%, let Agony hit and resurrect before you die (he won't get hit unless level 50+).
      - Front-left area is safe from Tentacles. Try to get there for easy reviving/resurrecting.
    • If you happen to wipe on Agony you have some options:
      - Use Revive Orb.
      - Try use healing/reviving skills better (like Battle Standard from safe side).
      - Have someone get defeated close border and have people do suicide-attempts at resurrecting (gets eventually done).

Jade Maw, Phase 1
    • Stick together (hard to revive middle of Tentacles). Don't bring minions or closes, Maw targets them which slows down fight.
    • 4 Tentacles spawn. Agony on all players (can't be blocked or evaded, also immunities won't work). Jade Colossuses start spawning.
      - You also get Agony if you enter the Arena during the fight.
    • Focus on killing Maw. Hold Reflecting Crystals to absorb its attack and send it back!
    • Keep killing Jade Colossi and Tentacles to get more Crystals.
      - Gather up Crystals on front-left area.
    • Phase 2 starts when all Colossi have died.
    • Laser: Delayed ranged-attack. Fatal damage. Used every 15 s. "Marks target, shoots laser with sound".
      - Hold Reflecting Crystal to absorb.
      - Try to learn timing for proper dodge (bit after hearing sound based on latency, also you can look when its mouth glows yellow).
      - Sometimes doesn't make any sound.

Jade Maw, Phase 2
    • 6 Tentacles spawn. Agony on all players (can't be blocked or evaded, also immunities won't work). Tentacles also respawn.
      - You also get Agony if you enter the Arena during the fight.
    • Same as Phase 1 except Maw attacks every 8 s.
    • At end Maw targets everyone.
      - Try to keep up good supply of Crystals. When Maw is at low health stop hitting it until everyone has a Crystal.

End reward
    • Wait for (possible) additional daily chest.

Bestiary
    Spoiler
    Last edited by Wethospu; 08-05-2013 at 12:42.

Achievements:
    Recommendation First Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Maybe had to split topic because of character limit, but couldn't all of the posts been made to one thread?

Veritas Invictus ~ The TRUE Guild

Yeah sure, this will give cleaner links though and makes editing bit easier when I don't have to scroll so much.
    To be honest, I didn't really think about it much. If mods feel this disturbs forum integrity then sure, pack them up.
    Last edited by Wethospu; 06-04-2013 at 09:10.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Create a subforum and name it after Wethospu.

I'm taking over!

I'd like to give a bit more of an in depth guide to this. Not that it is very difficult. But some pointers.

Solid Ocean

* All enemies in this zone drop higher tier equipment, so although many people choose to skip right to the boss, you really shouldn't. Use your magic find here, these foes drop good loot.

* Kill all enemies and the little crabs, to get an extra achievement. Yep, poor Fractal has crabs.

* Don't bring minions or pets into the boss fight, because the Maw targets them, making the fight much longer than it needs to be.

Boss strategy

Stick to the front left corner if you can. You'll be out of reach of any of the tentacles, and its a good spot to gather crystals. This is a boss where you definitely don't want players to be spread around, because any player that is surrounded by those tentacles is hard to revive. At first all you need to do is kill the two tentacles. I don't think the foes surrounding them drop anything, so you can just ignore them and go straight for the tentacles. Many players stick to the far left ridge, and then jump on to the back ridge near the maw itself, to safely get within range of the second tentacle. Once that second tentacle goes down though, get back to the safe corner as fast as possible. This is also when at level 10 and higher the Maw starts using its agony attack. I don't think there's any way to dodge the agony, so save your heal skill for this moment. People with no agony resistance will certainly notice this hurts a lot.

Once the two tentacles are down, Killing more tentacles or the colossus, makes crystals appear, which you'll want to pick up and gather at the safe corner, so anyone can grab one quickly. If a big red skull icon appears above the head of a player, he needs to quickly pick up one of the crystals, because that means the Maw is about to shoot its beam. Getting hit by the beam while holding a crystal charges it, so you can throw it back at him with skill 1. Have someone target the Maw, so other people can press T at any time to target it. You can also dodge the beam attack, if there are no crystals nearby for you to grab. But you have to be patient, and not roll too early. The Maw shoots its beam a few seconds after the skull appears above your head.

At this point, your party can either hoard enough crystals by killing the colossus, and then wait and use them all up. Keep in mind that crystals despawn after a while. You can prevent crystals from despawning, by picking them up every now and then. This resets their timer. You can also kill all of the colossus, which makes more tentacles appear, and also makes the Maw attack more frequently. If you want to speed up the battle, that may be the way to go.

After opening the chest, don't leave right away. You might also have earned a daily reward. At higher Fractal levels, you'll also have a chance of earning one ascended item.

AR (Agony Resistance)

In order to do the really high Fractals (15-20) you will want to start working on the Fractal Capacitor. This is a backpiece that must be crafted in the Mystic Forge, and grants you additional agony resistance. The prototype fractal capacitor along with two ascended accessories, will give you 15 AR. This item can later be upgraded in the Mystic Forge at a costly sum, to provide even more AR. So don't waste your precious backpiece-skins on the prototype version, because you'll lose the skin when you upgrade it in the mystic forge. Only use a skin on the final backpiece.
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 08-04-2013 at 11:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    * Don't bring minions or pets into the boss fight, because the Maw targets them, making the fight much longer than it needs to be.
    I assume your meaning was "don't bring non-ranger pets," but on my ranger I hear "put your pet away" from so many idiots that this line gives me super rage. As I'm sure we all know, it is not possible for rangers to put their pets away if they are in combat. Nor do we have a choice if they rez or not if at any point combat breaks, and it usually does since the boss fight is a slow affair.

The more places this is said the better, so eventually people will stop telling me how to play a class they've clearly never played (not referring to anyone in particular, just idiots.)

It is one of the main problems with this boss battle. Many necromancers also have that mandatory trait that makes a bone minion automatically spawn, and that also gets targeted by the Maw. Sometimes, you can't help it. And sometimes you can. If at all possible, try to bring as few additional targets into this battle as is possible.

And yes, I know rangers get a lot of hatred during this specific boss battle, even when they can't help it.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    I assume your meaning was "don't bring non-ranger pets," but on my ranger I hear "put your pet away" from so many idiots that this line gives me super rage. As I'm sure we all know, it is not possible for rangers to put their pets away if they are in combat. Nor do we have a choice if they rez or not if at any point combat breaks, and it usually does since the boss fight is a slow affair.

The more places this is said the better, so eventually people will stop telling me how to play a class they've clearly never played (not referring to anyone in particular, just idiots.)
    Against my better judgement, I did some fractalling yesterday... And when we went against that final boss, I also told Rob I couldn't put my pet away (sorry if I was a bit crabby, but I really was dead tired!). But then those crystal thingies spawned, and I was useless anyway, as I only have ranged attacks. So, I grabbed a crystal, stowed my pet, and stayed out of combat, only throwing those charged crystals. You don't get into combat, so your pet stays stowed. As my reflexes were shot anyway, it was also my only way to stay alive (as I really needed my healing to combat that agony....)
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

That's an interesting tactic. My gut feeling is that it would be quicker to attack and have your pet out. There is a 1/6 chance it will be targeted but your team damage would go down at least 20%. It may be most efficient to kill the jade with your pet out, then once those are dead, not attack tentacles with your pet away. Although that may piss people off more than actually keeping your pet out.