Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]

Jan 25th Wub wub shindig.

Here we go!

It's been an interesting week this week to say the least! News that free transfers end this coming Monday means that people are picking their forever-homes, severing long ties with servers and jumping up, down, side to side and everything.

Many servers have enjoyed a lot of transfers in, strengthening their maps, however just as many have left leaving once vibrant servers a wasteland of NPCs and people willing to go down with their servers.

Over in US: The tier 2-4 bracket is a mad hive of activity, Kaineng spent another week dominating their tier though 2 hours into this reset so far they're not steamrolling, seems they've faced a little resistance, so that will be fun to watch! Maguuma were in a similar position to Kaineng and steamrolled, and this week things seem to be even so far!

Over in EU: Desolation have fallen out of Tier 1 (boo) and the tier 1 is now Seafarer's vs Elona and Viz! Let's see if Seafarer's can stay afloat in tier 1 without the wrecking ball that is PRX (who are scaring me still over in tier 1 US, glad they're on my side )

I'm fully expecting some 11th hour transfers over the next 48 hours or so, so don't let me down, GW2! I want some earthshattering moves! Get to it!

How's things in your server? Good? Bad? Did you flee!?

Game on!

As always, come to Jade Quarry! We have cookies and awesome people. Let me know if you're on JQ and I'll see you out on the borderlands :D
    Last edited by Fae; 26-01-2013 at 04:20.
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    I want cookies

I hated WvWvW on SBI, but if you guys are running any this weekend, let me know. I'd like to see what it's like in an organized group. I got in a good group once in beta and it was a blast, but never really enjoyed it since then.
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

I've been having fun in JQ WvW... I tend to cling to Fae or other ponies or the zerg... because I are scared of the culling. Seriously, sometimes I can't even see my allies two steps in front of me =( like someone in BPA said the other day "the commander is just a floating blue dorito" yep. I even got an upgrade on my interweb connection, so I can't even blame the culling on that. *mumbles something at arenanet*

But yaayyy, towards the end of the match there SoS seemed to get genuinely scared of JQ <__< just sayin'

Also, so sad that SBI ended up at the bottom of tier 2

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I've been having fun in JQ WvW... I tend to cling to Fae or other ponies or the zerg... because I are scared of the culling. Seriously, sometimes I can't even see my allies two steps in front of me =( like someone in BPA said the other day "the commander is just a floating blue dorito" yep. I even got an upgrade on my interweb connection, so I can't even blame the culling on that. *mumbles something at arenanet*
    Well, that's pretty much by design from what I understand. Culling doesn't show allies as much as enemies, so it's more likely that you see the players that are hitting you. There was an official post not long ago with all the priorities, but I didn't make much note of where it lived since I don't ever really run into issues with culling.

On topic of servers and WvW rankings, I think it's kind of weird that people will jump servers. All those people who apparently left Stormbluff Isle (or that's my assumption given their falling rank) ... just makes me want to know why people would want to leave. It's not like one server is any different than the other. I don't understand, people are weird.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

On the first note, yeah you're probably correct about that. It just sucks to basically not see anyone around you when it's zerg vs zerg, and the only thing that gives it away that I'm in a zerg vs zerg fight is all the aoe rings. Sad Raye is sad.

On the second note... there's actually a really good post by someone who moved from SBI to JQ recently http://www.stormbluffisle.com/index..../1415-dear-sbi It basically explains the motivations of those who were into competitive wvw and so on...
    Last edited by Raye; 26-01-2013 at 06:16. Reason: derp i accidentally a word there

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

I was reading on the official forums that some feel the higher tiers are really more about numbers and coverage than skill. I haven't WvW much, but I can see where that could be the case. Any more experienced players care to comment or is this WvW flamebait? lol

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    Well, that's pretty much by design from what I understand. Culling doesn't show allies as much as enemies, so it's more likely that you see the players that are hitting you. There was an official post not long ago with all the priorities, but I didn't make much note of where it lived since I don't ever really run into issues with culling.

On topic of servers and WvW rankings, I think it's kind of weird that people will jump servers. All those people who apparently left Stormbluff Isle (or that's my assumption given their falling rank) ... just makes me want to know why people would want to leave. It's not like one server is any different than the other. I don't understand, people are weird.
    I think the culling allies/enemies right now is 50/50. The new culling they are putting in on the 28th will significantly tilt that to favoring enemies, and will also add cached placeholder images to address limitations of the user's system that this type of culling revealed when they tested it a few weeks ago. At least that's what I took from reading the updates.

You can only play WvW on the server you are on. With the end to free transfers, people will be less likely to stay, so any sign of "weakness" (like a major guild moving for their own reasons) will spark fears of the ship going down and inspire them to jump ship to what seems like a more promising server.

I don't understand the rating process. As of now, Maguuma is getting wrecked by DB and FA.

Raye... youre a thief: thieves suck in zergs compared to other classes and shine in skirmishes. Get out of the culling. You can cap a camp like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    I think it's kind of weird that people will jump servers.
    I was on IoJ since Beta. It was always full or almost full and we we're a tier 1 - 3 ranked server. Last week ALL WvW players left and it remained a full or almost full server.

Basically it was an absurd minority of us keeping IoJ in the upper ranks. It did include a lot of Oceanic people, but either way the WvW population of my server was almost zilch. Once anyone left, it was a quick cascade because so few of us played.
    Last edited by Fluffball; 26-01-2013 at 06:40.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

I'm not always a thief... I also play my guardian in there, and looking to get my ele there as well. Also, I recently started wvwing, I much rather stay with people while I learn. So there's that too. Sometimes I'm alone, and there will be an incoming zerg of 10+ people and I wouldn't see them. Whenever I'm alone I get killed by thin air, it's not fun to be by my lonesome in there.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    On the second note... there's actually a really good post by someone who moved from SBI to JQ recently http://www.stormbluffisle.com/index..../1415-dear-sbi It basically explains the motivations of those who were into competitive wvw and so on...
    Interesting read, and does explain a fair bit. Though I'm missing a reference, here, I think. Could someone expand on this bit:
    We were briefly given hope when SBI dropped to tier 2, and that lifted our spirits, that we were FINALLY getting the help we needed. Sure, they were raw, and PUGs, but we loved it. It had been so long since we saw that kind of turnout.

...and then it disappeared. By Monday, it was gone.

This was heartbreaking to us. It was crushing. We had been battling for so long without hope, on sheer pride. Then, hope arrived! It was uplifting!

As quickly as it had come, it was gone. That was emotionally and spiritually crushing. It was worse than not getting any help at all.
    Just a nutshell version. Like... "new people showed up, then left." Or "new people showed up, but they were horrible." Or whatever happened. Why the loss of morale?

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Not sure, I'm guessing people didn't particularly like losing, so they stopped showing up after a while, I'm not sure. Someone like Chips would probably have more info on that particular point.