Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]

Critique my dagger/dagger-pistol/pistol thief? :3

Hiii

I just started getting into my thief again; I'm close to level 70 now so decided to actually start thinking about my final build. This is what I'm leaning towards: http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...am0G0GxcamsVcq

I'm not actually sure how good it is at all, I find thieves a bit counter-intuitive. I know the pistol/pistol weapon set is not all that great, but I don't really like how the shortbow plays... I wanted a ranged option and using dagger/dagger - pistol/dagger seemed silly...

I'm aiming for getting as much initiative as possible, and buffing up the steal skill. Since both the pistol and the daggers apply lots of bleeds, I also wanted high condition damage. I also wanted to be very slippery and mobile, so I wanted some speed buffs here and there.

Anywho... I posted only weapons, utility skills and traits, but I'm planning to go for full rampager's set. I have no clue about what rune set to pick. Sigils, I'm thinking stuff related to bleeding and power. Currently on my list are: a superior sigil of bloodlust and superior sigil of agony, but I'm still pondering. I might go Geomancy, Earth, Agony and Bloodlust.

Thoughts? All feedback is welcome :3
    Last edited by Raye; 20-01-2013 at 15:31.

I think you're going to be really lacking in damage. One simple thing you can do is take the trait where you get might when you dodge instead of the trait that gives you swiftness on kills. You already get swiftness when you dodge, and you can dodge what feels like whenever you want to.

Personally I'd find at least 10 to put in to DA. Whether you want a power or conditioned based build, both will benefit from that line.

Edit: I also disagree with shawn on the caltrops. If you want a conditioned based build, those things are outstanding. And really, 15 in acrobatics means you can dodge like ALL the time. It's amazing. Anymore dodging and you're not every going to be attacking anything, just rolling about like a 3 year old.

Four seconds is a really long time when most fights in PvE last about 15 seconds and you can dodge 3 times in a row.

I've never used the caltrops myself, but facing them in PvP I know it's an outstanding way to put bleeding on everything in the general.... everything. They're also AoE, which thieves are lacking in, especially not using a shortbow.

Then they would be even more useful, since they apply cripple as well as stacking the bleeds.

You need to have a really good reason not to put 30 points in Critical Hits for pretty much any thief build that's viable, I do not see such a reason. I would re-trait and I would reconsider taking P/P as a ranged option.

She wants to do a condition based build, so I don't see the crits as being that important. With some added might, condition duration and keeping caltrops it could work. Not my cup of tea for a thief, but I think it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    She wants to do a condition based build, so I don't see the crits as being that important. With some added might, condition duration and keeping caltrops it could work. Not my cup of tea for a thief, but I think it should work.
    This is such a typical GWO response, dude anything can work but the trade-off is simply not worth it whether you plan to run condition damage or not - sorry. You simply don't run 30 Trickery over 30 Critical Strikes no matter what you are trying to do. At the end of the day you shouldn't be running condition based builds in pve anyway but even if you do, the damage on the Grandmaster CS trait is far too good to pass up. It's not a great build anyway but not running 30 CS for no apparent reason other than "flavour" makes no sense. Not investing 30 points in CS means you are doing it wrong given the current state of the Thief traits because it's staple. Telling me it can work isn't much of a counter-argument. If there was some ungodly Trickery Grandmaster Trait then maybe you might have something resembling a semi-coherent argument.

Look, this build is choosing to receive 4 initiative when using a healing skill and increasing damage by 1% per initiative instead of having a 10% damage increase when initiative is over 6 and 20% extra damage vs targets <50% health - this is an immense drop in damage especially when considering the passive stats (10% critical damage and 100 precision versus 10% steal recharge and 100 condition damage).

You notice how the only people in this thread to provide actual feedback have both put 30 points in Critical Strike? There is a very good reason for that.

Well there is no need for a temper tantrum. I agree with you in that I built my thief in a similar fashion. However using different traits and play styles across your different characters is what makes the game fun. My warrior is 100% glass cannon with over 100 critical damage. Yesterday I hit someone in WvW for 18k (they were not wearing armor and were upleveled, but whatever , I still hit level 80 warriors for 10k). That's fun... for that character. I don't want every single character to be the same, so I'm crafting a condition damage mesmer utilizing confusion. Entirely different play style, and that's ok.

If she wants a condition based thief, why not try to help her create a good one rather than raging at her for not being the most effective possible thief that is useful in level 40 FoM. She clearly is aware of what she's doing since she doesn't want to use a SB.

Well there is no need for a temper tantrum.
    At no point in my entire post was there anything resembling a temper tantrum. What is it with this forum being unable to handle factual points and outright disagreement? Whenever somebody disagrees with the users on this forum people nearly break down in tears over it. Are all of you suffering some kind of post-traumatic stress or something? In all seriousness where in my post do you see anything like a temper tantrum. I find it hilarious that I post critique with your non-arguments and you resort to calling it raging and a temper tantrum. Do you have a tough time handling disagreements or differing points of view or why is it you are attempting to derail the thread? Maybe you would like to re-read my post because this is simply embarrassing.

I agree with you in that I built my thief in a similar fashion. However using different traits and play styles across your different characters is what makes the game fun. My warrior is 100% glass cannon with over 100 critical damage. Yesterday I hit someone in WvW for 18k (they were not wearing armor and were upleveled, but whatever , I still hit level 80 warriors for 10k). That's fun... for that character. I don't want every single character to be the same, so I'm crafting a condition damage mesmer utilizing confusion. Entirely different play style, and that's ok.
    She is asking for feedback which suggests she care whether the builds is viable, not running 30 points in Critical Strikes given the current state of the game is not viable. You can run a warrior running a longbow with everything in defense and tactics, it's not viable or helpful but at least it's not the same playstyle?! I do fondly remember this forum defending the viability of pets in Guild Wars 1 or insisting Mesmers were simply amazing in PvE long before ArenaNet heavily balanced the class and gave it overpowered PvE skills. What you are saying is simply not true. ANet needs to introduce DPS meters and other ways of measuring damage output to end this type of attitude. Yes, anything can be played but that never meant everything should be played. It's like playing a flare elementalist in Guild Wars 1, you don't do that to the other party members.

If she wants a condition based thief, why not try to help her create a good one rather than raging at her for not being the most effective possible thief that is useful in level 40 FoM.
    At no point am I raging at her. Like Shawn I pointed out that you need 30 CS and unlike Shawn I documented why this is the case. Instead of crying because I disagreed with you how about you start adding value to the thread instead of this laughable strawmanning. Explain to me why a condition based thief should pass off the executioner trait to gain 4 initiative everytime they use a heal, just explain it and let's see what your reasoning is instead of crying about temper tantrums. The Fractal thing makes me laugh, I guess most of the people on this forum must detest fractals, yourself included, because it demands you hone your gameplay and bring the best build and habits possible...

It's ironic how you insist on helping her yet provide little to no feedback and then attempt to derail the thread.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Xunlai, I have to agree with you and Fluff for different reasons.

I think it's great that you tell people what works great, and please, don't stop. In fact, feel free to tell me why my builds are terrible and how to fix them. In this case, I have to admit that both strategies seem to accomplish essentially the same thing, might as well take the best one.

In some cases though, it's like Fluffball mentions, it's to add diversity to gameplay, or to actually engage in different roles. For example, I'm trying to get a good minion-mancer necro that can swap to wells for dungeons, because if I had to play it otherwise, I probably would play one of my many alts instead.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about