PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Ugh, whoops, I actually meant to put the falling trait on that spot (instead of swiftness or might on kill)

Unrelated edit later to add: I just tested that last incarnation of the build while doing some of my dailies. I definitely notice the increase in damage, so.. thanks for that :3
    Last edited by Raye; 22-01-2013 at 01:07.

Berserkers or Valk for something like this.
    http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...vampx0f0oszcqM

For your proposed build, I think rabid is still the way to go since it will accentuate your condition damage as well as give you some much needed power.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Also, I'm investing on a short bow anyway... maybe it'll grow on me.

I'm just terribad at using the ground targeting ;____;
    Last edited by Raye; 22-01-2013 at 03:10.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Well my build is pretty noobtastic, I didn't think it would be worth to post there <__<

I do wish Xunlai someday will grace us with one of his builds.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by Xunlai Agent View Post
    Raye if you want anymore advice let us know what you think of the suggestion that Shawn and myself posted regarding your traits. I also have a few builds I run on my thief that aren't condition-based but that all play completely differently which I will post if you're interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    All this build talk and not one submission posted in the build thread, tsk tsk
    Hey, I sense an opportunity here....

I actually would really like to see these builds. My thief is up to about 66 and will be 80 soonish, and I am very interested to hear about good builds for the thief to help me understand what makes the class tick. I prefer to look over known good builds to learn rather than trying to reinvent the wheel. Also I'm bad at this stuff and have less time than before to study it lol.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

I actually missed that offer about the builds Xunlai... I must have still been half asleep X__x but yeah, that would definitely help. Having good examples always helps loads. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Well my build is pretty noobtastic, I didn't think it would be worth to post there <__<

I do wish Xunlai someday will grace us with one of his builds.
    Xunlai being aggressive about 30 in crits I think was him hoping you'd put points in to power as well. Right now you crit for 180% of your normal damage, but your normal damage is basically nonexistent. I see the 30 in crits as wasted opportunity.

The build I posted in your calculator is a very solid damage build that will get you lots of kills in WvW, and it was just taking your condition points and putting them in power. When my warrior gets hit with that type of build, she loses half or more of her health in a single hit.

Because you went half condition, half crit, you don't do much damage in either category. Your armor will automatically lean you in one direction or the other, you might use that to help decide which way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    Xunlai being aggressive about 30 in crits I think was him hoping you'd put points in to power as well.
    Well you were completely and utterly wrong, no dice I'm afraid! AS for being aggressive you simply cannot handle disagreement, I have to laugh that you disagreed with both Shawn and myself when we were honestly trying to help Raye. It's very telling that over the first two pages you sit there crying and trying to attack and criticise what other people posted in response.

As for the point about critical damage over condition damage, you can run condition damage but you only deal poison and bleeding which isn't great. 10 extra points in Trickery over maxing out Critical Strikes is not a good move and every build posted in reply has had 30 Critical Strikes - weird how that works, right?! You shouldn't be running straight condition damage on a thief with only two conditions that's already a wasted opportunity long before we start discussing traits.

I don't understand the builds thing, I have posted two Thief builds and two Ranger builds (the straight Marksmanship being the best setup Rangers can currently spec into for PvE) and none of them have any responses or feedback yet you keep clamouring that I need to share and play nice with ungrateful people on GWO, odd! It strikes me as slightly lazy on your part however my expectations are so low that I am utterly unsurprised.

Binding Blinds Mark I
    This is the more defensive setup I started using when I first started playing my thief properly, this has since evolved.

So the thirty points in Critical Strikes is standard and no good Thief build that I have seen runs without that. So I eventually decided to run a full signet build which means that the minor and major traits that boost signets are worth taking. Every Thief I know runs Signet of Shadows in PvE for the move speed and I have always liked Signet of Malice for spamming Pistol Whip and Shortbow combat because the synergy is strong. I wanted a stun-breaker/shadowstep and condition removal on my bar, well it turns that signets can give you just that. However the synergy goes further because every time you activate a signet you are granted five points of might and two initiative along with the active effect. So what this means is that you can perma-blind all the people in your vicinity which makes you one of the most powerful tanks in general PvE because the blind scales with the mobs. I have literally rounded up a mob of about ten level 80+ melee mobs and cut them down without taking a point of damage. Blind is hugely powerful but no class can apply it quite as frequently as the Thief, if people stand in your Blackpowder cloud then they are pulsed with blinds frequently enough to mean they should not connect with a single blow.

The other traits give you extra initiative production which is great because you want to be spamming Pistol Whip on as often as possible while maintaining the blinding cloud that Black Powder grants you. This allows you to function as a tank by focusing all of the aggro on you without taking much if any damage while spamming PBAoE to devastating effect. This is sort of similar to a stance tank in the original except you can evade anything that isn't Dredge and you are able to deal huge amounts of damage by stacking might and spamming one of the most devastating attacks in the the Thief's arsenal.

In combat you want to lock on to the ranged attackers, who are hopefully bunched, and jump in on them. You have three shadowsteps available (four if you count the one on your SB set) and that should grant you the mobility to jump in and out of combat as required. Ideally you want to group your opponents on top of each other so they can share the goodness of your blinds.

For gear I would go full glass cannon as per usual because stacking toughness and vitality isn't great in the first place and makes even less sense if the opposition is perma-blind.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Xunlai Agent View Post
    I have posted two Thief builds and two Ranger builds (the straight Marksmanship being the best setup Rangers can currently spec into for PvE) and none of them have any responses or feedback
    I'm grateful you posted these, but at least in my case, lack of feedback is due to these two professions being least-played. I don't plan to roll a thief, and my ranger is barely level 20 if even. I'll look to your builds though for inspiration once I get enough trait points.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Xunlai, you really can't see how these posts of yours can be construed as temper tantrums? Especially considering the build PvP build I suggested is a) running 30 in crits and b) a lot better than yours? I literally have no idea what you're arguing at this point.

Seriously, CALM DOWN.