PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The only thing I agree with in your rant is that the final trait in trickery is a really bad call. Generally I don't use healing skills in PvE, especially with all the active defenses of a thief.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    The only thing I agree with in your rant is that the final trait in trickery is a really bad call. Generally I don't use healing skills in PvE, especially with all the active defenses of a thief.
    Extraordinary, you agree with the main point I have made repeatedly in this thread. However you have chosen to resort to flame-baiting despite agreeing with the gist of what you are attacking? Stay classy San Diego.

As for the build I would not run a P/P set if you want to run a condition damage set because it can only inflict bleeding which is kinda inefficient if conditions are going to be your main source of damage. It's weird how both Shawn and myself suggest 30 Critical Strikes and I get flame-baited for it because well it's a condition build (how that works is beyond me) yet choosing a ranged set with only one condition is fine because well it's a snowflake. If you are going to run P/P I wouldn't go with condition damage gear and regardless of what you play I would run 30 points in Critical Strikes. The only responses thus far which have detailed traits have put 30 points in CS unless somebody steps up and explains to me why this staple no longer applies I fail to see what you are hollering about.

If it's all about what Raye wants to play then my guess is Raye wouldn't have made this thread (just a guess) because it defeats the point, so I cannot for the life of me understand the motive behind your rebuttals. I have helped her improve the build by pointing out that taking 30 CS is vital irrespective of her gear or gamplay choices, you in turn have done nothing except criticise me for offering her honest feedback. What exactly you are trying to achieve here is beyond me but I suspect it is likely to be fittingly absurd for GWO.

The daggers are good if you want to focus on upping condition damage because they offer poison and bleed but overall I would argue that other classes to condition damage better - you can only inflict two DoTs on your melee set and only a single one on your ranged set which seems slightly lackluster to me. Furthermore I fail to see how realigning 10 trait points is going to break her game play. If I had come in and insisted she change her utility skills or weapon selection I would understand the snowflake argument but why you are losing your cool over the suggestion that 30 points in CS is better than 30 points in Trickery is absolutely beyond me.

Raye if you want anymore advice let us know what you think of the suggestion that Shawn and myself posted regarding your traits. I also have a few builds I run on my thief that aren't condition-based but that all play completely differently which I will post if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Xunlai Agent View Post
    Extraordinary, you agree with the main point I have made repeatedly in this thread.
    Not really. I would still keep 30 in that line to up the condition damage. (Not me personally, I use a backstab thief so you can refrain from more comments about how GWO sucks at GW2)

I would switch to Initial Strike since DB is the main source of damage and it's initiative hungry.

Edit: Ah ha, found it. This may be relevant. It's one of the dev PvP guys talking about his dodge thief that he bleeds people out with. It's obviously PvP oriented but he has some really nice ideas. He goes 30/30/20 in the last three lines and gets bleed duration by mixing and matching runes.

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/b/325629647
    Last edited by Fluffball; 21-01-2013 at 20:47.

The Caltrops on Dodge trait is pretty bad. They only last about a second, so if you dodge the attack, the caltrops tend to be gone by the time the foe starts chasing you.

They last four seconds, as has already been mentioned. Also the post directly above yours shows a dev slaughtering groups of people in PvP using only caltrops. Wake up.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    Okay... you guys seriously took my build and started arguing over it like crazy o__O. Not sure if proud or afraid lol. I am not on my computer, so i haven't made changes yet. Thank you all for your contributions (though both attitudes could be turned down a notch, just sayin')

One of the things I said in the OP is that i find thieves counter intuitive, hence why I asked for help. I actually was gonna do 30 on critical and 30 on trickery but change my mind at some point for a reason I don't remember :3 so ill definitely re-consider.

Secondly, never did I say I would be using this in pve. It was actually my intention to get into wvw with her. And conditions tend to win in pvp more often (according to m my personal observations anyway) I am however, willing to take advice, since I asked for it.

Thirdly, I asked for help on runes and sigils =( but no one said anything about it.

Lastly, I'm likely to make critical strikes 30... not sure which of the two lines ill lower yet. :3

Check out the video of the dev, that will be a lot more relevant if you want to do mostly PvP with it. He shows all of his traits and equipment and explains why he takes everything. The runes are 2 of krait, centuar and whatever the other is that give +15% bleed duration. Caltrops are especially good in WvW; it's hysterical to watch zergs run over them.

Personally I wouldn't mix and match a power build with a condition build especially on a thief since they do very low damage when not specced to do things like backstab. You wind up not doing either well. If you're going all in on conditions, I would definitely consider going zero in crit because you aren't going to be doing any power damage at all.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Noted, ill check out the video once I'm on my computer.

Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Double posting like a bauss. <__<

http://www.guildhead.com/skill-calc#...am0x0GGcaqmsVm

This is what I'm considering now...

Quick question, I have already bought my rampager's exotic set, but have not yet soulbounded it. What would be a better over-all set if we consider I want to wvw? berserker's?

edit after watching the video:

I can see how the build he's using works in context, and all I can really say from it though, is that it's nothing like mine. I'd like to bring to attention one thing he says while he's playing, which is something like: it doesn't matter how good the build is if you don't know how to play the class, and I think that's something a lot of people miss when they're giving advice on builds (generally speaking.) When he was putting the build together I was more or less clueless as to how to properly use it. So in all reality I'm not going to go with that, at least not while I'm still learning to thief.
    Last edited by Raye; 21-01-2013 at 23:20.

I use that dodge thief in sPvP from time to time. It's absolutely dead easy. You cover everything in site in caltrops and people just kill themselves, particularly if you cover a capture point. So don't let the fact that he's a PvP pro dissuade you if you want to use that build. I know it wasn't like yours, but you originally had many of the same qualities as he does on accident.

As for your new build, I really don't see where the damage is coming from. You'll have to try it out and I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll be able to kill people. You have almost built it like a backstab thief, but you have zero power. What if you took the 20 out of trickery and put it in deadly arts?

I still think you'll prefer might on dodge rather than swiftness on kill, especially in WvW where you aren't killing things every few seconds. Remember you already get swiftness when you dodge as well as a permanent 25% speed boost and heartseeker spam. Edit: That site says you get swiftness on evade which is a little misleading. You get swiftness every time you dodge, whether or not you evade an attack.
    Last edited by Fluffball; 21-01-2013 at 23:59.