PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry

Pet names retained?

Is it just me or do pets retain their names now?
    ----------------------------satomz----------------------------
    -------------Fan Arts of all Types & Guild & Alliance Matchup & GW1-------------

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Dii
    If that is true, then all rangers can rejoice! No more Juvenile this and that! Except if you're super-lazy.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    That would be a nice bugfix indeed! I can't check though...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    I'm not seeing any change in behavior. I replaced my stalker (Amos) with another species, named the new pet, then brought back the stalker. The stalker was once again a juvenile with no name.

The system remembers exactly where we tame each pet. I can see that my whiptail came from Devourer's Mouth, my red moa from Chief Otyugh's camp, etc., etc. How hard would it be to remember the name we give it as well?
    Last edited by BrettM; 11-01-2013 at 12:35.

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    I'm not seeing any change in behavior. I replaced my stalker (Amos) with another species, named the new pet, then brought back the stalker. The stalker was once again a juvenile with no name.

The system remembers exactly where we tame each pet. I can see that my whiptail came from Devourer's Mouth, my red moa from Chief Otyugh's camp, etc., etc. How hard would it be to remember the name we give it as well?
    Storage space. A name string takes up 20 bytes or however much space you want to give the player, while the location where you tame a certain pet can be placed in just a couple of bits.

Also imagine if someone would call all their pets the same name. There would be confusion.

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    That's unfortunate. I wish this is something they would address. All my pets have different names, from Razor the fish, to Gak the jellyfish, Boo the bear, and Rawk the moa.
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Quote Originally Posted by raspberry jam View Post
    Storage space. A name string takes up 20 bytes or however much space you want to give the player, while the location where you tame a certain pet can be placed in just a couple of bits.
    True, they do have to be careful about runaway storage needs. Yet, let's assume that there are 50 species (there aren't quite that many yet) and that a ranger collects them all and gives every one of them a max-length name of 20 characters so that little storage compression is possible. That works out to around 1K needed to store all 50 names, even if you allow a two-byte length prefix on top of each 20-character name. If the ranger is using names like Razor, Gak, Boo, and Rawk, then the storage needs are a great deal more modest than that. Now suppose you have 2,000,000 ranger characters all with 50 pets that have max-length names. You'd need a whole whopping 2G of disk space to hold all that info. Somehow I'm having a hard time seeing this as a problem.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    It's pretty easy to say "hey what's an extra byte" here and there, and before you know it you need a lot more storage space and bandwidth due to your lazy game design.

Generally, the space held is constant regardless of whether it's used... it speeds up information access and storage to have constant-sized things.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    I looked more carefully at my pets, and realized that the pet that retained its name was used in the aquatic slot. Darn it. It had me so happy for a while.
    Last edited by satomz; 11-01-2013 at 17:22. Reason: changed smilies
    ----------------------------satomz----------------------------
    -------------Fan Arts of all Types & Guild & Alliance Matchup & GW1-------------

Quote Originally Posted by BrettM View Post
    You'd need a whole whopping 2G of disk space to hold all that info. Somehow I'm having a hard time seeing this as a problem.
    Disk space is expensive. Mike and Colin need their Ferraris.

Maybe if we buy some more gems they can afford it. lol