Morale is huge in WvW. I might go Morale > Population > Organization

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I don't think a particular event happened in SBI over that weekend, no. I think their plan was to fall to tier 2, regroup mentally, then push forward. However the other 2 servers took advantage of a demoralised server and pushed the morale down further. The weekend is *rough* in WvW land. Generally you can suck over the weekend, then once the weekend tourists have gone, you can start your real push, but SBI didn't really get any foothold when Monday rolled around.

Morale is definitely a huge factor as Fluff said, I've left full maps before because morale was low. Go to a lesser map, cause some havoc there and away we go!

As much as I hated SBI nibbling at our ankles, I do miss the little buggers. I do hope they regroup and find strength from newbies and people wanting cheaper transfers come Monday.
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

Another reason that SBI might have got a surge of casual (PvE) players when we fell to tier 2 was players trying to get 100% map completion in areas that they couldn't before. I know that all the members of our (very small) guild were happy to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    Just a nutshell version. Like... "new people showed up, then left." Or "new people showed up, but they were horrible." Or whatever happened. Why the loss of morale?
    New people looking at the situation and saying "**** this" after a few hours of playing crushes morale pretty well. Honestly, SoS and JQ were about the worst server combo to go against the SBI WvW Guilds from what I could tell as a somewhat casual WvW'er. SoS uses pretty much every exploit that may or may not give them even the slightest advantage and JQ was happy being SoS's ***** at the time, settling for second place rather easily. There's no better way to turn off new players from WvW when they appear in a losing scenario and it is caused by SoS and JQ obviously sharing communications and tactics to ensure their dominant position. When you group up under a capable commander to take a tower from SoS only to be flanked by a JQ zerg which then does not even proceed to attack SoS, you give up, right there. WvW is all about the numbers, all noobs know that, no way you can beat 2 servers by yourself forever.
    Hence, less new players, hence the pros get tired hence SBI witnesses what can only be described as an exodus.

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

I can assure you, SoS and JQ were not sharing any comms as far as server to server goes. Yes, there will be people leaking info to the other sides, this happens on every server there is. But no way we were in their pockets, nor them in ours.

We're pushing them fast and hard right now like we do every week. \o/

Whether it was coordinated or not it was clear that JQ and SoS would concentrate on SBI and ignore each other on many occasions.

Nothing wrong with that since it is bound to happen in a 3-way battle. It's just that when you're on the receiving end it's not fun... and as with many things in games, a few times all of a sudden becomes "all the time".

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Yeah, 2 v 1s are gonna happen all the time, though pretty much unintentionally. Today we had BG at south bay while SoS were on North. They both got in, and we thought they were gonna go scrap it out between 'em, but nope. They both kept to their sides. When we wiped SoS off, BG magically appeared through the same place SoS came from as well.

It happens \o_o/. It may happen a LOT, but yeah. Maybe next skirmish you'll pass a zerg going the opposite way, each side eyes each other up and goes "Nah" and keeps on trundling. Bigger fish to fry.

Free-for-alls always result in supposed teaming up. It's physically impossible for it not to happen unless someone just sits there not doing anything. At least the way the map is set up with SMC blocking a true 3-way.