PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

conditions on a mesmer

All of my characters are power based and I wanted to try a (degen) condition based character. I am happy with my martial professions where they are, so I figured I'd try it on a mesmer after glancing over the staff skills. After playing her to level 30, I think I picked the one class where conditions other than confusion are just not an option. For people with level 80 mesmers, is that basically true? The staff is too inconsistent and isn't really able to stack. A warrior or thief can easily stack conditions on entire mobs, and my mesmer can not.

Am I wrong that the best/only way to play mesmers is by using confusion and shattering? Even using a staff I do most of my damage shattering the number 2 skill. 4 is counterproductive and 5 recharges too slowly. Or do I need to dig a little deeper? I know traits can conceal a lot of neat builds that are not obvious.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I mostly stack confusion and bleeds, but also don't use the staff... not sure if that helps or not. But I'm inclined to think that confusion+shattering is the best way to play mesmer. Just head over to guildhead or another skill calculator and look at the available traits i guess...

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The staff is chaotic, but it stacks conds on foes as well as buffs on yourself... and imo it shines at mid-range fights against 1-2 foes. Once conds & buffs accumulates, it can really melt foes.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Staff is your condition weapon of choice, but, as Alaris said, it's random. But you can also create (is it with the staff?) a clone who does more damage depending on the number of conditions on a foe. Works well in Chaos Storm, but the long recharge on storm means you have to the foe well. Though I believe the #1 skill applies random conditions, too...
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

It does, and boons as well. 1, 4, and 5 all apply random boons and conditions. My goal was condition stacking, but the staff mostly causes chaos. I think I'm trying to shove the mesmer in to something it's not made to do. I assumed all professions had the option of power vs condition damage, but I didn't realize how similar the martial classes were in that regard.

I brought my necro out tonight and actually had fun playing her now that I have a goal of creating a conditions based build. Looking over the necro traits, I was thrilled with the condition combo possibilities, where looking over the mesmer traits I only saw shattering combos. I think I'll enjoy both professions doing their own natural thing. Plus my necro has a terrifying demon face.

I'm actually having some trouble getting back into playing my mesmer. I want to go heavy on condition so confusion hurts but I find that in pve it just doesn't last long enough and I can't apply it often enough for it to outshine a pure power build.

I'm also having issues with mobs not losing aggro on me for an illusion... ever... but that's another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidCoqui View Post
    I want to go heavy on condition so confusion hurts but I find that in pve it just doesn't last long enough and I can't apply it often enough for it to outshine a pure power build.
    It has a crazy short duration, doesn't it. The confusion of skill 3 on a scepter wears off before your clones can add F2 confusion. I guess it makes sense because confusion does crazy damage, but it makes it not ideal for PvE.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by RDarken View Post
    But you can also create (is it with the staff?) a clone who does more damage depending on the number of conditions on a foe.
    Yes, that's staff's phantasm. Also, all clones created while using the staff (including the staff clone) will be using the main attack and apply random conditions / random buffs, so it really adds up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidCoqui View Post
    I'm also having issues with mobs not losing aggro on me for an illusion... ever... but that's another topic.
    My trick to lose aggro is to case a new clone. Phantasms I don't believe work so well, and if the foe ignored an existing clone, there's not much chance to pursuade him otherwise... hence casting a new clone works sometimes to break aggro.

Of course, that won't work well if you spammed all your clones so you have none left.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Also, all clones created while using the staff (including the staff clone) will be using the main attack and apply random conditions / random buffs, so it really adds up quickly.
    Well that is why forums are useful. After 32 levels I did not notice my clones adding any conditions. Also I finally broke the 11,000* damage mark on my warrior tonight in WvW after crafting the 5th piece of exotic armor. My condition builds better pan out.

Edit: actually 11,000, not 10.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Staff clones add random conditions and random buffs. One-handed sword clones add ... vulnerability?

Greatsword and scepter clones, afaik, do not add conditions unless specifically traited for it.
    == Alaris & clone ==